HT front mount?

Drunkskunk

Local time
7:48 PM
I'm trying to mount my Skyhawk HT to my frame with a SBP shifter kit. the back mount is set, but the shape of my frame means the front mount sits on the frame at an odd angle. I can't realy mount the motor on the bike this way, as the bolts would break, and I would rather not drill any holes through the frame.

I figure this has to be a common problem, so what solutions have people come up with for making the mounts work?

I bent a piece of 1/8" plate and bolted it to the motor, as shown below.
Keep in mind, too, that with a shift kit, the engine needs to be adjusted upwards from time to time to keep the RHS chain tight, so you'll also need to add spacers between the frame and mounting to suit.

attachment.php

... Steve

Attachments

• Bent Motor Mount.jpg
    Bent Motor Mount.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
Warring :Don't drill the frame

I drilled my first motorbicycle frame and the engine vibration cut though it like a hacksaw. I was following the manual I downloaded from the folks I got my kit from. U blots and plates are a much better idea.

Mike Frye

Yep, I drilled mine and now have to live with it. (Hasn't cracked yet, though, after 500km.)
That's why I recommended a 'U' bolt.
(My kit instructions also suggested drilling.)

Last edited:
Keep a good eye on those bolt holes. Mine looked good until about 400 miles and then RIP seat tube cut in half. Maybe it will hold up better with a plate bolted to it instead of a motor bolted directly to it, like mine was.

Mike Frye

Yeah Mike, I inspect the downtube for cracking before every ride.
I went one further, though, and made two extra 2" x 1/8" square curved plates, one for each side of the downtube, with a square of tube rubber under each and an 8mm high-tensile bolt through the lot. So far so good. It's a pretty sturdy setup, so hopefully my frame won't crack. Time will tell.
To adjust the shift kit chain, I use more curved plates, slotted right to the end for easy fitting and the main mounting that bolts to the engine also has a closed slot for adjustment. (Not as complex as it sounds.)

Last edited:
We sell a front mount similar to AussieSteve's that is no muss no fuss, install and go.

Attachments

• Front Mount.jpg
    Front Mount.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 232
I like the look of those mounts, Jim. I would have bought one if I hadn't drilled the frame.
It looks like it would be easy to fit spacers for RHS chain adjustment, too.

That will work.
I like the sbp kit you have but was looking for something fast and temporary. I plan to weld a mount to the frame once I get the initial setup working.

Welding the front mount to the frame is not advise able with the Shift Kit. A solid front mount will not allow you to adjust the jackshaft chain tension as your front mount essentially has to be able to pivot to allow the rear of the engine to move up and down. This why our front mount works is that it allows the engine to pivot using the inherent flex of the steel.

Back