HT Horsepower?

Drunkskunk

Local time
2:16 PM
This is probably a silly question, but how much power do these little things make?

I have 2 "80"cc motors. one from local vendor years ago (never ran) and another from spookytooth. the first claimed 6hp (???) and Spookytooth's has a lable listing 2.75hp, I'm assuming thats peak.

So what do these things make for actual, usable power? What kind of power is available at cruising speed?

Interesting question, I would also be interested in what a "stock" 80 makes... I don't trust the numbers the manufactures state at all...

Back in europe I used to ride an old czech "Jawa Pionyr" 50cc scooter (1970's comunist era model) - points ignition, 9.2:1 CR, 30:1 gas/oil ratio, carb looked a bit bigger then a HT's, declared power 2.6kW @ 6500rpm. Top speed was round 60 km/h, but I recall you could do around 70 down a long hill with crazy vibes (solid mounted engine...). The thing was a 3 speed & would actually haul two people.

My PK80 HT with a 44T on a 26" wheel "feels" about the same power/speedwise as the old scooter did in 2'nd gear - IMHO not bad at all considering it's a "toy" motor :)

That Dyno result is interesting. if thats at the rear wheel, then it puts Spookytooth's claim into the "plausable" range for power at the crankshaft.

Back