HT leaking petrol/fuel cap

ok, I have two things to add to this.

1. I tried about 10 caps at Super Cheap Auto(in Oz), and none would fit.
2. I met someone who said you can run a bead of silicon inside the cap
then, put it on the tank, so it moulds to shape (tack dry time),
then take it off and let it set.

this apparently worked for this guy on several motors etc that he owns.
So I figured I'd try it one day on a spare cap I have.
If I get to it I'll post my results.

WS.

That's strange. I made screenshots of them.

I kinda like that second pic now cause the price is right,there's a chain so you don't lose your cap and it seems it would take a bit more than a second to make off with the cap. Also the mounting holes I could silicone around the base then use rivets I would think then a little dab of silicone on top of that.
And the fact that it screws on I bet with this thing you can turn your tank upside down and it won't leak.
Think about this. You can actually lay your bike down on it's side and not have to worry.
IF u go ahead with this Large can u let the group know.I went to a few Marine Stores in my local area and none had the full mechanisms that locks.They said they did a few years ago but not now(so much for progress)
Even if i could find a car wreckers that would allow me to fill the gas tank with water as i ground off the filler spout.They would have to have the keys for the cap but that shouldn't be a problem........i'll keep looking.

I actually bought one today not locking the sporting goods store didn't carry it. I seen the one pictured on the right but that was for water. The one they had was chrome. I'll post pics in the morning.
Doesn't look too hard modifying this tank. I'm doing this cause my tank too is leaking and it's doing something weird. It closes and locks alright but one end you can like pry it and it snaps up.
My plan is when I looked at this tank,there's like a 2 millimeter lip then the cap insert.
After I drain and fill my tank with water to ensure no vapor dangers,I'm gonna take a hacksaw to this lip flush with the tank. It's very thin sheet metal so it shouldn't be too hard to go around in a circle.Then the entire unit should slide off. Then I'll get gas resistant silicone to seal everything tight and screw it on with sheet metal screws. That should seal her up,and it has a chain on the end so it's not a 2 second operation to make off with the cap.
I will take from the cool way this original cap looks,but I'll gain the fact that my tank won't leak any more. I can probably lay my bike down and it won't leak.
I'm a little worried though about tank pressure but I think I'll be alright. I check my tank pretty oftenly anyway.

Stay tuned.

OH BTW, if in the event someone makes off with your cap,check the auto parts store for a VALVE COVER CAP. It fits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another way that might solve it.
I was cleaning out the shed and I have this old Mecedes alloy overhead camshaft cover. It has the oil filler cap and wondered if that might fit.
A bit too large when I tried, the point is, some oil filler caps tighten via a spring steel strip on the inside of the cap as you twist it that 1/4 or so turn.
That definately has to seal oil, therefore it definately would seal fuel.
The first issue is breathing, oil caps it's made airtight to seal in oil, or supose to.
Point is, if by chance a oil filler cap is found that fits, I'm sure then modifications will get it to breathe, then somehow get it to lock.

I have cut extra gasket material to help with the leaking, but the real annoying thing for me is the rattle. Sometimes I just put my left hand on the gas cap while riding because of all the noise of the cap ringing.
Anyhow. Remember the old metal external gas tanks used in boats with outboard motors? They had the same kind of cap, but now they've all gone plastic. Anyone tried a radiator cap? I'll check with a few marine supply houses here.

Man it got REAL UGLY but I git 'er done! Just waiting for the gasket in a tube to cure and it's back on the bike. I drained the tank last night and this morning it was dry so I really didn't want to use water and I'm still alive!
Pic 1 ~ Just about 10 bucks at the Daves sporting goods I think that's what it's called.
Pic 2 ~ Look at the shiny chrome!
Pic 3 ~ The before shot. My plan is to just hacksaw around the lip that's flush to the tank but sigh...anyone that wants to do this just take a hole saw that just fits over the hole and git 'er out that way.
Pic 4 ~ 1 1/2 looks like the same size.
Pic 5 ~ So I'm thinking here and I think I learned this somewhere about liquid and siphoning in school wow it's a miracle that if I had that deep tube in the tank,the gas would only fill up to the bottom of the tube! So I drilled some holes. That should take care of that.
Pic 6 ~ There was a whole lotta gunk in my tank filter,man.
Pic 7 ~ CLOSE YOUR EYES HIDE THE CHILDREN!!! I used....tin snips :D Use a hole saw. Use a hole saw.
Pic 8 ~ You can't tell from here but it's a little bit off. Seal it on,line it up,let it set(dry),drill the holes,put on the screws. That's not the way I did it. That's why it's a bit off.
Pic 9 ~ Here's the side view. Not too bad looking,huh.
pic 10 ~ Pic with the cap off and dangling.

When I first opened the package I checked for a tight seal by blowing then sucking on the bottom tube. It's not 100%. Air can get by. So I'm not too worried about ventilation,but when it gets hot out a 1/4 turn is all I need for venting.
I'M off shopping with my wife that took the day off today. In a few hours I'll put 'er back on.

And on that site where I discovered this,they sell just the locking cap so down the road I just might.

Attachments

• 1package.jpg
    1package.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 352
  • 2chrome.jpg
    2chrome.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 285
  • 3lip.JPG
    3lip.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 296
  • 4samesize.JPG
    4samesize.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 316
  • 5drillholes.JPG
    5drillholes.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 302
  • 6filtergunk.JPG
    6filtergunk.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 285
  • 7noreturn.JPG
    7noreturn.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 380
  • 8littleoff.JPG
    8littleoff.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 291
  • 9side.JPG
    9side.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 326
  • 10capoff.JPG
    10capoff.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 352
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like u did a fine job on the tank,and i understand the vibe(if u did it again you'de do an even finer job)
Sofar have u noticed any minor leaks or anything else we should know about.Say did u ever go radical and rest your bike flat on the ground,now that would be the holy grail of gas tanks.
I'll continue in my own direction cos i can't find the same stuff as u and i'de rather a locking cap but i've learnt more,thanks.

We gotta wait till tomorrow on that one till the gasket stuff sets. It's silicon based so it should do the job. If by tomorrow it's all set and it leaks,I may have to reinstall with silicon.
The hardest thing about all this is that I cannot go riding till this is done.
That's a real bummer,man.

The fuel/petrol cap on my happy time 70cc tank is leaking.
Should I buy a replacement cap from my dealer Zbox or is there a better alternative that might be available in Sydney Australia?

Thanks
Mick

As usual excellent work by Large, "Wish you were here" to fix my bike :rolleyes:

To answer Micks original question. I bought a replacement Petrol Cap from
Warren at ZBox, and it leaked also. Hence, why I have a spare cap ? He seemed quite surprised that both caps leaked. Maybe no-one ever told him they leak ?

So Mick, keep your original cap, until someone works out an easy/working
replacement we're stuck with it. If you do find one let me know. I know I'm not going to attack my Tank with a hacksaw/welder.

my 1.5 cents (AU)

WS.

Last edited:
Back