HuaSheng Carb...size does matter after all

velosolex

Local time
8:42 PM
I bought a used HuaSheng 49cc (Dax engine) last summer. Was going to build a mount for bike attachment and give er' a try. This engine has the gear reduction box mounted to the PTO side....nice set up. Problem right off the start was the carb; previous owner let gas in the float bowl evaporate leaving a very thin film covering all inside parts of the carb. Problem with this is when this film breaks loose in the float bowl, it will quickly clog the main jet. The only thing worse is to let a carb dry out with water in it :sick: , cause you will get white rust and there is no cure I'm aware of for that problem. After trying to clean the carb in Chem-Dip, I gave up and decided to buy a new Honda card for their little engines. $50 later, I got a bright new carb, and after switching out some of the control levers, I was ready to start it up. After starting, one thing became clear, the engine would not rev up....seemed to be running out of gas like I had some clogging (main jet???). After many attempts, I ended up putting the main jet from the original carb, into the Honda unit, and now my little engine runs like gang busters :cool:
My guess is there are a few different jet sizes for these carbs/engines available. If this happens to you, don't give up :rolleyes:

Cris

The easiest way to get rid of that white water residue stuff inside a carb is to brush white vinegar on it, let it soak, agitate with a stiff brush, and repeat untill it is gone. It usually takes me about 1/2 to 1 hour to clean up a horribly whited carb. Rarely do I need to soak one in vinegar. You must be aware that it can dull the finish a bit, as vinegar is a weak acid, and if left in contact with the carb for hours on end it can etch the surface. (12 hours is enough to do surface damage). I have never, ever ruined a carb doing this, just repaired them.

Gearnut,
Sounds like good advice, I'll give it a try next time. I used to work on very old Honda that were "barn fresh" and had lots of white rust. I could clean most of it out, but then it would come back in time and clog the jets. Sure wish I could get my hands on another pushrod 50 to cruise around on :cool:

Cris

Velo the vendor you bought the motor from sells HS carbs for about half the price of a honda carb......posting on this forum is like walking on pins and needles having to watch what you can post and cant, IT SUCKS!

Darwin,
No, I bought the engine used from one of our local riders, not a dealer. The guy I bought it from told me he had parked it sometime ago so I knew there might be issues as a result from sitting. I've bought many a use motorcycle with dried up gas in the float bowls....that's why they invented Chem-Dip.

Cris

Back