Jackshaft Hub used as Jackshaft?

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by Sinkronized, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Sinkronized

Sinkronized New Member

I pulled a weed whacker apart to use on a bike, but, just like most weed whackers, spins the wrong way. I was trying to find a way to make it work, and I started looking at jackshafts. Rather than buying some bearing holders or a ready-made one, I decided to use a bike hub. I was wondering if it's possible to use the hub out of the front wheel as a jackshaft, and if I can weld it to the frame of the bike. Any other advice about this would be appreciated, thanks!

2. IbedaYank

IbedaYank Member

3. Sinkronized

Sinkronized New Member

the only reason I'm trying to use a jackshaft is because I had to turn the motor around, thus having the rotation spin the correct way, but putting the crank on the wrong side of the bike.
  4. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

If you do decide to use a jackshaft, bicycle hubs have been used for that purpose. Some guys use a flip-flop hub for a jackshaft. The flip flop bub accepts a sprocket on each side and one side can freewheel. Some members have used three speed internal hubs like the Sturmey Archer for a jackshaft so you can have multi-gear engine power.
    My preference for a rack mount motor is a simple friction drive.
  5. Sinkronized

Sinkronized New Member

Thanks wheelbender, I'd never heard of Flip Flop Hubs before! Very helpful. Do you know, by any chance, If I can weld the hub directly onto the frame? Also, this isn't a rack mount, although I may resort to that if I can't make this way work.
  6. keatonx

keatonx Member

If it's your average cheap hub that likely isn't heat treated then you can weld on it. I know I weld on hubs all the time with no adverse effects
  7. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

On most of the bicycle hub jackshafts I have seen, the hub is not welded to the frame. Usually, some dropouts are welded to the frame and the hub/jackshaft bolted thereunto. I'll look for some links to those builds.
  8. Sinkronized

Sinkronized New Member

Ok guys, thanks for the info! it's just a cheap kids' bike hub. so I highly doubt it's heat-treated.