Huffy Santa Fe Cruiser

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by Cavi Mike, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

Picked it up for $50 on CL like this:

[​IMG]

Where I'm at so far.

[​IMG]

I'm not too keen on the tank that came with this kit, not to mention the petcock won't clear my frame(hence why it's not on the bike). Are there some better options out there?

2. skipS

skipS Member

I have the same frame I think with my huffy panama jack. I just padded the tank a little with some rubber ( cut up the bikes handgrips) to get the tank to fit and the petcock to clear

Attached Files:

3. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

Yeah I saw that but the tank sits too high for my liking as it is. With my handlebars upside-down and lowered all the way, the tank looks really out of place and ruins the look of the bike. I'd like to box in the frame and make that the tank but I'm not sure my welding skills are up to the task.

4. Dobroknow

Dobroknow New Member

tank ?

yeah , the boxed-in frame tank would look awesome !
    but have you considered the flat boxy rear rack tank ?
    not as cool but better than the peanut tank .

5. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

6. lucas

lucas Member

my very first build was a huffy santa fe. frame cracked at the crank after about 20 miles. was along walk/pull home.

7. skipS

skipS Member

I wonder if you had your motor all the way down in the "V" so that it was acting like a frame brace. if you had it up higher in the V then it would stress the area where the crank is. I have hit some nasty bumps and so far so good, but I will keep my eyes open

8. skipS

skipS Member

with the seat that low, I hope your about four ft 1 :grin5:

9. lucas

lucas Member

Was moutned above chain gaurd. when the weld craked.rear axle spun to left side bending the rear end about 15degrees. dont know how i stayed on it. was a holy **** fast stop.

10. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

I've taken that as a warning to not put too much effort into the frame itself and as so I've decided against boxing in the top tubes for use as a fuel tank. I'd be pretty depressed if the frame went to $#!+ after all that work. I have something sneaky up my sleeve, parts should be here by next weekend.

Diamondback bottom-bracket adapter on and with it comes my cranks and pedals. I picked up a 130mm Shimano bottom-bracket, gives me about 15mm of clearance on either side between the motor and cranks. Fitted a second white chain for the engine side, I have another sneaky sneaky plan for the tensioner, stay tuned...

[​IMG]

Then I started to work on the cabling. Obviously that throttle cable was too long so I chopped it down and soldered on a new ferule.

[​IMG]

As it sits right now. Is there anyone else who has two "brake" levers that aren't connected to brakes? :lol:

[​IMG]

11. lucas

lucas Member

i would just build a fake tank. model it on the 50s style that fold in the just bolt the pieces in the center. i put them on and run all my wires and cables thru em.

mount your gas tank behind your seat.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  12. You need an old moped tank, berelli or one of the top tube american models. It really completes the look.

13. Lazieboy

Lazieboy Member

Huffy Frames

Hi I got a huffy hermosa and it has similar frame. my tank petcock also rubbed on frame i'll take that idea to raise the tank, when i put my tank back up front. Now on rear rack temperlary due to broken mounting brackets. http://s1019.photobucket.com/home/lazieboy1

14. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

Got my front disc brake installed. Made the bracket and had a friend weld it on. Works mint! Unfortunately I had to ride home from work in torrential downpours that day so it rusted instantly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope to get my rear wheel laced up soon.

15. id put a small cylendrical tank up under the seat below the frame infront of the tire. Like a coleman propane tank. It would be pretty hard to find the right size though youd probrobly have to make it custom. It would be cool though because you can put a logo or number on the sides

16. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

This is what I did for the tank(s)

[​IMG]

Once I get my rear wheel laced up I'm gonna get it all back together. For now I don't need the dead weight of the engine.