Hurricane Ike Damage

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by s_beaudry, Sep 12, 2008.

1. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

Well, it did not even hit America yet and Columbia, SC has already taken on some damage by it...

Went to the local Mobile to get gas and all the pumps were bagged over so I just figured they were closed and drove a few more miles to the BP gas station to find the same thing there as well. So, onward to the Sunoco and as you guessed, the same outcome there as well!

At my fourth gas station which was a Kangaroo, I guess I was lucky and it took about 10 minutes to pump in 4 gallons of super at $4.29 a gallon.

What the heak is going on here in the U.S.?

Why do oil companies have free reign over us?

Anyone else expedience this today in another state?

2. I haven't drove my truck in a long while so I dunno. But I'm way out in Colorado. I think our oil comes from Alaska. The pipeline runs right thru here.
  3. Yea when this type of thing happens here in FL. during hurricane season they call it "price gouging" and it is illegal....Apparently Big Oil is exempt..........
  4. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

About 2/3 of all of the petrochemical refineries in the lower 48 states are in the direct path of Ike. Over 1/2 of them are around Galveston Bay. The principal deep water off-loading facilty for VLCC tankers is under the storm as I type this, and may well no longer exist. The entire Gulf Coast offshore drilling, pumping, and onshore terminal operations for ALL of the major oil companies has been damaged and/or shut down much of this last 30 days. Gasoline is in short supply, and fixing to get a lot shorter.
  5. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

When your local stations jack up the price of gas during an evacuation or right before a storm, "Big Oil" isn't to blame. You are being "gouged" by the gas station owner. But then again, are you? If a bad storm is coming and people are evacuating - the gas station will probably have to close for a few days. The guy still has bills to pay, and his creditors are not going to want to hear about a hurricane. The extra money he makes by "gouging" customers might not even make up for the losses he will take by being shut down for a few days.
  6. kerf

kerf Guest

It started mid morning in Birmingham. Once they shut down the pipeline out of Galveston, we've only got the gas in the terminal storage tanks. Same thing happened during, I believe Rita. On that occasion the entire city of Birmingham ran out of gas for about 24 hours as did most of the state. God forbid building the refineries 75 miles inland.
  7. jmccrury

jmccrury Member

My wife called me at work this afternoon and said that there were lines at every gas station in town. Gas was already at $4.17. I of course just drove on by on my MB because I bought gas for it yesterday. Should last a month.
  8. News posted a story of $5.49/Gal. here in Florida today. I consider that gouging.........
  9. SimpleSimon

A reasonable evaluation, but arceeguy made a very valid point. Add to that the fact that like any business selling a real product, gas stations have to sell ciurrent stocks for sufficient return to cover current costs AND projected future costs of the commodity. When supply is curtailed, prices rise. As of this moment, no one knows how much damage Ike will do to the national refinery capacity, but the odds are it will be substantial.

$2.00 in a day worth? No, that's pretty clearly gouging.
  10. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

said on the news -- ones such as this will be PROSECUTED

and THEY SHOULD BE !!!!!! Mountainman
  11. kerf

kerf Guest

I believe Fla. has anti gouging laws in effect, interested to see if they are effective. Ala. has no such laws (see my many rants about state legislature) so we are left hanging out. I remember this happening with Rita but the disruption was short lived and things quickly settled down. Prices stayed somewhat high for weeks and I don't believe they ever returned to pre-hurricane levels.

The simple truth is, we depend on dino, no other option within ten years. Our supply must be stabilized against disruption. Our major source of oil and refining is right in the middle of hurricane alley, we are asking for disaster and playing political games with the future of our economy. We smugly see ourselves riding our MB's to the grocery store and thumbing our collective noses at the cagers. What if we find empty shelves at said store?
  12. The anti gouging laws have been enforced when it comes to things as plywood, water, generators, etc. here, but I have never seen gasoline jump like this before. As Simon said alot of the States fuel passes thru the Gulf, and they have been hit hard this season, so I'm sure this is the reason for the spike. I just hope everyone makes it thru alright......
  13. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

I just saw on the news that prices are rising a few bucks a gallon in areas that aren't being directly impacted by the storm. (North Carolina?) Now that is your local gas station owner that is gouging, not "big oil". I'd snap some pictures and report the bastages. I filled up yesterday, RU was $3.23 here in NJ.
  14. SimpleSimon

Again, arcee, what has the increase been, in real dollars/cents? I looked at the spot market on gasoline - it has jumped $.28/gallon delivered in 30 dfays since Friday morning. It will jump again come Monday. The retailer has NO CHOICE - if he wants to be in business in 30 days, he has to be able to covert that increased cost of replacing inventory. I live in northwestern Louisiana, with no significant interruption to the flow of fuel into our distribution area, but gasoline prices jumped 20 - 30 cents overnight last night.
  15. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

I totally understand what you are saying, but two-three dollar increases within a couple of days in areas not directly impacted by the storm? I can understand why a station owner that needs to shut down because of an evacuation may choose to sell his existing supply for "top dollar" considering he'll be out of business for a few days - but in North Carolina????

Prices here in NJ didn't move much at all. Maybe because we have plenty of refineries right here.