Hydro Bike

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by locoWelder, Dec 5, 2007.

1. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

A company in China just came out with a new hydrogen bike. The company, Shanghai Pearl Hydrogen Power Source Technology Co, unveiled its creation at the 9th China International Exhibition on Gas Technology, Equipment and Applications. How they have gone 9 years with a name that long, I have no idea. You would think they would have learned from The InterUniversal Meeting of Those Who Like to Attend Expositions in Foreign Countries and Star Systems, but are too Afraid to Leave Their Respective Houses. At any rate, the bike seems to be a bit of a hit at the show. They already have some orders for it, and for a cool $2,600; who could resist? Never fear, they expect to have the price down to about $500 as soon as they can start mass producing them. No word on when that will be, but have faith.

The bike is clearly superior to electric bikes with the exception of the price tag it has right now. It runs on renewable hydrogen using a fuel cell. The tanks, conveniently located behind the seat for you convenience, take about half an hour to recharge, compared to a batteries three hours. The tanks are also significantly lighter than the standard lead batteries. preliminary guesses are pointing to the LEAD for the extra weight. It is a delicious snack, but lead is not all that practical when trying to reduce weight. The bikes have a cruising speed of about 15 mph, for about 60 miles. Thats pretty good, I mean it is no Lance Armstrong, but I doubt you could buy Lance to pedal you around for under $2,600.

Attached Files:

2. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

Im sorta confused here.. by a fuel cell I assume you mean something that splits water to make the hydrogen/oxygen combination..

If thats the case then the range should be extendible I would have thought... and whats with lead/acid batteries??!

Nice system - shame about the thing they installed it on though *sigh* lol

I hope they sell it as a retro-fit kit - Im sure that if they do someone on here will have it running 14 second 1/4's within the week :)

Jemma xx

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2007
  3. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

Having looking into the companies web site it seems that the system uses a 24v 180W motor coupled to the PEM..

I still dont understand where the hydrogen is coming from though... there doesnt seem to be an on-board system for that...

Jemma xx

4. nopedlenhere

nopedlenhere Guest

hydrogen is the fuel..you refill the fuel tanks. Then as you drive the fuel cell burns the hydrogen and makes water as the biproduct to generate electricty..I hope this helps...bill

5. ropinlizard

ropinlizard New Member

Great idea...butt-ugly bike..(I hope I don't offend anyone)