Hypothetical Question For The Experts:

Hal the Elder

Local time
3:28 AM
Gentlemen:

Since acquiring Oscar, my new 2005 NE-5 (now with 120 miles), I have made the following mods:

Fully opened the intake restriction.

Installed a Hi-Flow muffler insert.

Advanced the valve timing by one tooth on the cam gear.

Installed Mushroom valve lifters.

Approximately how much of a horsepower increase have these modifications given me, as compared to the factory's advertized 1.95 HP?

I can easily feel the boost in performance, but it would be interesting to know approximately how much HP Oscar is developing now!

Thanks...
HAL

A semi educated guess on my part would say you have increased the horsepower about 100%. I believe you are about 4hp now give or take a little. I'm sure Quenton will correct me if I'm wrong.

Jim

Last edited:
Correct!

Actual Dyno tests indicate 3.9 HP with a stock head. The power increases to 4.65 HP with a re-worked and milled head. Adding an aftermarket head, and 26 MM carburetor pushes it into the high 5 HP range.

Have fun,

That's An Amazing Increase, Guys!

WOW!

3.9 HP IS double the Factory rating of 1.95 HP in the engine's detuned form. :D

I would have been really surprised to hear I've gained One HP!

But since you have a Dynmometer, Quenton...you've witnessed the actual performance gains, with no guesswork!

Even at my 3000 ft. elevation with no jet changes, I would probably be realizing 3.5 HP anyway...right?

Thanks...
HAL

Last edited:
Hi Smitty,
I have tried many different camshafts and ended up with as many different results. I have worked closely with a camshaft company located in NC and have produced motors that can exceed 8000 RPMs acheive 40.3 MPH in 150 Feet.
However the best camshaft for over all performance is the NE camshaft [early is best, but scarce]. Always remember the higher lift camshafts must use mushroom lifters.

Have fun,

Speaking of Camshafts...

Does any company produce a cam grind that enhances performance in the LOW portion of the NE engine's RPM band? Say, from idle to about 3500 RPM, giving the effect of a Stroker Crank?

Most performance enthusiasts (hot rodders) want to get into the ultra-high RPM range to grab extra horsepower up there through better breathing, but I'm the opposite...I'm a low RPM man!

HAL

Hi Hal & Oscar,

The WC-1 camshaft and a set of mushroom lifters produce the most low to midrange power on the new edition Whizzers. Using the WC-1 camshaft on an NE motor with the larger 24 MM intake valve, mushroom lifters, and a correctly jetted carburetor will make more power below 3000 RPMs than the NE camshaft. Good news! I and I am sure many Whizzer dealers have WC-1 camshafts in stock. I sold a bunch of them last year to a company that was after the gears to put on billet camshafts. BTW they list for $82.85, but I sold them for $35.00 each as a used part. If you want to try one, let me know.

I know what you are looking for, because I raced a lot of "thumpers" on the dirt track and often on small tight tracks, bottom end power was required to win. I raced BSA 500 singles, Ducati 250/350/450 singles, and even the HD 250 single [4 stroke made in italy]

There ya go, the answer to your question on motoredbikes.com

Have fun,

Last edited:
HEY QUENTON:

(Please excuse so many questions in one post...)

Does my 2005 NE motor have the 24mm Intake Valve?

Would the WC-1 camshaft fit in my stock NE bearings?

Would I also advance the WC-1 cam by 1 tooth?

Would I have to change my valve clearance because of a different lobe configuration on the WC-1 cam?

Would I have to change my stock carb jetting?

Can I get a WC-1 Cam for $35?

Thanks...
HAL

Last edited:
Back