I am having trouble picking my motor

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by XnatejX, May 28, 2011.

1. XnatejX

XnatejX New Member

I am having trouble picking my motor , can someone help me :bowdown:. Want to go about 45MPH ,Got about $170 to spend on it also I don't have a welder so cutting my bike up is not a option for me.. need the engine to fit my bike good. I have a Jessie James W.C.C.(have pic of it up ).

2. MikeJ

MikeJ Member

You are asking for too much. IF you can reach 45 mph, you will have to sacrifice acceleration if using a single-speed sprocket. You maybe can do it once in a while using a jackshaft and cassette gearing, but you will break your budget. IF you can reach 45 mph on a single-speed sprocket, your engine will be well over red-line design and will suffer undue wear and tear; it will not last long.

Cheap engines, high speed, and durability do not exist. Pick two out of the three.

MikeJ

3. seanhan

seanhan Member

45 mph !!!!!

Get a motorcycle
    A more reaalistic speed would be 25-33 mph...
    Do your homework you will see!!!!!

!!!!

4. sparky

sparky Active Member

Mitsu TLE33 ------------- $170
    5:1 reversed gearbox ---- $30
    Nuvinci N171 ------------ $235

TOTAL ------> $435, not including mounting materials and sprockets

???

Otherwise, just gear it high and pedal to start off...

5. XnatejX

XnatejX New Member

seanhan, what motor would do 33MPH ? I've done research but it seems like they all say that they go around 35. I just want to make sure that my bike will do that speed, my frame is kind of heavy .....also don't want to spend $170 and it be the wrong one .

6. DuctTapedGoat

DuctTapedGoat Member

For 170 bucks, you're looking at nothing bigger than a 66cc china engine.

Stock, it's 30-35. Properly tuned, 35 relatively steadily.

But, first look at your local laws - are you limited by any engine size? Are you limited by speed with a MPH limit on mopeds?

Start there and build off that.

7. buzbikebklyn1

buzbikebklyn1 New Member

"Speed is just a question of money, how fast ya wanna go?"
    is an axiom ive heard many times over the years.
    I hate to burst your bubble, but if your lucky and put a kit together correctly WITHOUT a shift kit you wont see the high side of 40 often... oh... the china girl 66 will do it... but not for long and not for $170.00.

I recommend the GT5R "super rat" 66cc motor AND a SPB shift kit... spend a little more now...OR a lot more later replacing that blown motor.

Ask plenty of questions.... we here on the forum will be glad to walk you through it.
    Please ignore the people that say "get a motorcycle"
    its rude and high handed, we know but we all dont feel that way.
    good luck...
    Try Pirate Cycles.
    BBB

8. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

also keep in mind that the Chinese 2-strokes don't fit stock on a Jesse James frame. You will have to buy or make adapters. The $170 will get you an engine, but not much else.

9. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Like said, asking much for $170.00. I built a JJ Chopper for my son, had to make a mount, If needed to bring it to someone else (wield) the cost would be about $40.00 about 20% over budget...What the heck..government does it all the time. Flat open it MIGHT do 22mph, and thats stretching it. My Cruiser will leave it in the dust.

http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae309/Ron-Becker/Engine Mounting/

http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae309/Ron-Becker/Michael Chopper/

This is a quote from http://www.pistonbikes.com/product-p/1gru66ssraf.htm

"Grubee motors are considered by most the best engines on the market. From the superior" to what "craftsmanship to the extra parts included in the kit, you will know as soon as you open the box that you picked a winner." Its still Chinese and you know what junk they make.

"All our motorized bicycle engine kits comes with everything but the gas and oil. Convert your men's 24" - 26" bicycle to a 20-40 MPH" not on a chopper without gearing it up "and 100-150 Miles per gallon machine"

GOOD LUCK

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  10. XnatejX

XnatejX New Member

Think now ,I might have got the wrong frame for what I want...jumped the gun lol.

11. Wheres my dog

Wheres my dog Banned

Why don't we look at the most important question at hand here....

WHY in the blue he** would you want to do 45MPH on a bicycle????

You do realize you are riding on a 2 inch wide tire and mechanical pull brakes NEVER EVER intended to stop a bicycle going 45MPH???

12. XnatejX

XnatejX New Member

Just because I can go 45 does not mean that I am going to go 45 all over town . I would like to have it go 45 when I need it to , let's say I had to get out of the way of a teenager talking on his/her cellphone ?

13. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Speed.

Hey Xnatejx,
    I think the only way to hit 35mph cheap is to find a 26" bike, Buy a china engine, BREAK IT IN GENTLY, then take it from there.
    Mountain bikes are cheap enough, Just go through it entirely to make SURE it's safe,(bearings,brakes,ect.)
    I recomend a better engine but with today's economy, as with most of my customers, People are going with what's cheaper.
    I've installed a lot of the chinese engines and if treated right, you can get your money's worth out of them.(most of the time.)
    Without gearing, a 20 or 24" bike will never hit 40mph. AND I would NEVER recomend doing that speed on a small bike anyway.
    If all you can afford for now is a chinese engine, go with it for awhile then upgrade A.S.A.P. E-bay alway's has deals on them execpt to California thanks to the E.P.A. you can get a 60-80cc for about $150.00, mabey less, and sometimes even free shipping.
    Get all the advice and help you can find for your first build. listen to the guy's on this site. Most of them know what they are talking about. And buy better nuts,bolts and mounting studs for that china engine. the ones they give you BLOW big time.
    Good Luck on your first,
    BIG RED.

14. Wheres my dog

Wheres my dog Banned

Save a few more dollars and maybe you can get the bike to go 60mph!!!

15. Al.Fisherman

Ya think?:icon_cry:

16. Al.Fisherman

Ummmm anyone using a cell phone while driving, I'm getting out of their way...not in front but behind them.

17. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

60mph, WHAT?

I'm very happy for all the people that have $600 or $800 (or more) to spend on a build. I'm not being sarcastic, the industry would be better & safer if we could all afford to put together a "****" bike. But let everyone do what they can, What they can afford to do, without putting them down for it. Of course the more expensive engines are better. I'm sure you could get one of those to do "60" just as well as a cheaper one. and yes, they last longer, but they don't do you any good if you don't have $400.00 to spend on one. Let us all just do what we can and try to educate the new guy's. Things like whats already been said about safety, speed limits and the laws in your area.
    And yes, I've done it, 45mph down hill with the wind at my back. We all want to, at one time or another, just see what the bike will do. I also realize it was a pretty stupid thing to do, but I lived through it and now try to help others Not to make those same mistakes. Give the young time to learn.
    Thanks,
    Big Red.

18. XnatejX

XnatejX New Member

19. XnatejX

XnatejX New Member

To all trying to help me, I thank you . Now if your just on here to argue and be negative ,TAKE A HIKE off my conversation. I thought this was a site for all that like to build ,ride and have a good time talking with others about building and riding . If your here in my conversation just so you can be negative and argue, your just wasting my time and yours. act your age and stop being RUDE .

20. spad4me

spad4me Member

I shoe horned the first kings bushing engine I ever installed.
    Into a roadmaster that was slightly too small.
    The front motor mount needed grinding. I ground it to fit.
    The intake manifold and carb assembly was slightly too long.
    I used an oil soaked sponge for an air filter.
    I found a smaller sparkplug and slightly dimpled the frame to clear the sparkplug cap.
    It will fit.
    I just noticed the smaller air filter and the angled plug.
    Maybe it will fit easier.
    Install the motor quick so you get the whole warranty
    BUT the experience you will get is a very steep learning curve.

What ever you do GREASE all the bearings and tighten all the bolts. Before you ride off into the sunset.

The first bike I motorized was on clearance from wallyworld for $39.00.
    I rode it until it was destroyed. Then I installed the engine on a bigger framed bicycle.
    I rode that until it was stolen.

My current bicycle is based on the work of Detonatortuningsolution who routinely commuted 10 or more miles at speeds way faster than 45 mph.

Last edited: May 31, 2011