I am having trouble picking my motor

XnatejX

Local time
8:49 AM
I am having trouble picking my motor , can someone help me :bowdown:. Want to go about 45MPH ,Got about $170 to spend on it also I don't have a welder so cutting my bike up is not a option for me.. need the engine to fit my bike good. I have a Jessie James W.C.C.(have pic of it up ).

You are asking for too much. IF you can reach 45 mph, you will have to sacrifice acceleration if using a single-speed sprocket. You maybe can do it once in a while using a jackshaft and cassette gearing, but you will break your budget. IF you can reach 45 mph on a single-speed sprocket, your engine will be well over red-line design and will suffer undue wear and tear; it will not last long.

Cheap engines, high speed, and durability do not exist. Pick two out of the three.

MikeJ

45 mph !!!!!

Get a motorcycle
A more reaalistic speed would be 25-33 mph...
Do your homework you will see!!!!!

!!!!

Mitsu TLE33 ------------- $170
5:1 reversed gearbox ---- $30
Nuvinci N171 ------------ $235

TOTAL ------> $435, not including mounting materials and sprockets

???

Otherwise, just gear it high and pedal to start off...

seanhan, what motor would do 33MPH ? I've done research but it seems like they all say that they go around 35. I just want to make sure that my bike will do that speed, my frame is kind of heavy .....also don't want to spend $170 and it be the wrong one .

For 170 bucks, you're looking at nothing bigger than a 66cc china engine.

Stock, it's 30-35. Properly tuned, 35 relatively steadily.

But, first look at your local laws - are you limited by any engine size? Are you limited by speed with a MPH limit on mopeds?

Start there and build off that.

"Speed is just a question of money, how fast ya wanna go?"
is an axiom ive heard many times over the years.
I hate to burst your bubble, but if your lucky and put a kit together correctly WITHOUT a shift kit you wont see the high side of 40 often... oh... the china girl 66 will do it... but not for long and not for $170.00.

I recommend the GT5R "super rat" 66cc motor AND a SPB shift kit... spend a little more now...OR a lot more later replacing that blown motor.

Ask plenty of questions.... we here on the forum will be glad to walk you through it.
Please ignore the people that say "get a motorcycle"
its rude and high handed, we know but we all dont feel that way.
good luck...
Try Pirate Cycles.
BBB

also keep in mind that the Chinese 2-strokes don't fit stock on a Jesse James frame. You will have to buy or make adapters. The $170 will get you an engine, but not much else.

Like said, asking much for $170.00. I built a JJ Chopper for my son, had to make a mount, If needed to bring it to someone else (wield) the cost would be about $40.00 about 20% over budget...What the heck..government does it all the time. Flat open it MIGHT do 22mph, and thats stretching it. My Cruiser will leave it in the dust.

http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae309/Ron-Becker/Engine Mounting/

http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae309/Ron-Becker/Michael Chopper/

This is a quote from http://www.pistonbikes.com/product-p/1gru66ssraf.htm

"Grubee motors are considered by most the best engines on the market. From the superior" to what "craftsmanship to the extra parts included in the kit, you will know as soon as you open the box that you picked a winner." Its still Chinese and you know what junk they make.

"All our motorized bicycle engine kits comes with everything but the gas and oil. Convert your men's 24" - 26" bicycle to a 20-40 MPH" not on a chopper without gearing it up "and 100-150 Miles per gallon machine"

GOOD LUCK

Last edited:
Think now ,I might have got the wrong frame for what I want...jumped the gun lol.

Back