I am interested in Felt bicycles. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by 5-7HEAVEN, Jul 29, 2007.

1. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:while surfing the net, i came across www.feltracing.com their cruiser bikes are reminiscent of pre-war bicycles, with bent top bar and balloon tires. the "1903" model caught my eye first, with 12gauge spokes, springer fork, fat tires, wide rims, MSRP $439. too bad it has an aluminum frame.
    so my primary interest is now their Hurley 'Tres Nueves' hot rod model. same specs as the "1903", except w/steel frame. the local bike shop carries FELT bikes,and i got to view their V12 model.
    the best part is that my shop's prices are close to MSRP...and shipping is FREE!(which can run close to $400 per bike!:eek:)
    methinks they would look GREAT w/the Whizzer engine.

2. It looks like there's a hydraulic cylinder in the downtube, that would render the frame unable to attach a motor to...
  3. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

check out their "cruiser" models.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2007
  4. OOH! the TAXI looks awesome!
  5. DougC

DougC Guest

Felt has 2 and 3-inch wide cream tires! :D Gotta have the creams for that old-fashioned look!

{....Even though they don't list the 3" creams in the replacement parts, dealers must be able to get them....}

When I get my dream frame finished and together hopefully I will be able to buy a 2"/3" front/rear wheel and tire setup. I'm kinda wondering about the flat resistance problems that 3" tires might have, one can slime the tubes but I've never seen tire liners wide enough for them. ....Does anybody know what gauge spokes the Felt cruisers use?
  6. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:Doug, the 1903,Propaganda,Hurley and Surf City models advertise 12g SS spokes. three have aluminum frames, except the Hurley. the Hurley seems to have everything i want.
    some other models describe 14g spokes.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2007
  7. itskeith

itskeith Guest

Yea, there are a few felt bike folks. I was so impress with the MP bike, I bought one and because of work taking me away from home a lot right now, I really have not done anything to it at all but, I am looking forward to it. Here is a link http://groups.msn.com/Feltmotoredbike/shoebox.msnw to some great photos of a felt 1903 with a motor. It looks great. See you on the forum,

8. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:DKeith, those were the BEST pics of a modified 1903 i've ever seen! great detail with fender/chain clearance, front brake, exhaust routing. i really like the way they used the frame for a fuel tank!
    good pics, Keith!
  9. itskeith

itskeith Guest

Hey Heaven,

Yes the 1903 is a great looking bike. I opened up the frame on the Felt MP bike today and like I was told, There are lots of (big) holes to be dealt with. It is going to take a lot of Tig welding to get it done but I am prepared to do that. I think I am going to make a decision on an engine tomorrow and order it since I might need a bit of welding for the motor mount, I might as well get it done at the same time.

At least I have started on the project, and that is cool.

10. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Please keep us posted and maybe post some progress pics if you would. Thanks!
  11. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Keith, where were the big holes? so sad that anyone would have to do touch-up welding on a new bike.:confused:
  12. ocscully

ocscully Member

The holes Keith is speaking of are the holes in the head tube and seat tube that are part of the manufacturing process. These holes need to be sealed up to allow the toptube to be used as the fuel tank.
  13. itskeith

itskeith Guest

The Felt MP bike's first ride today

I have been working on this project for awhile but today a milestone was reached. I went for about a mile long ride with no real problems showing up. I am far from being finished but, at least it works. The only thing I wonder about was the large amount of noise that seems to come from the clutch area. I know there are some other posts about this type of noise, I will have to look. While rolling along, if I depress the clutch, the noise goes away. Here is a link to some photos of the bike I have posted.

I am all smiles today.

14. azbill

azbill Active Member

lookin good keith !!! :D
  15. jdsidecar

jdsidecar Guest

Felt steel frame

Very cool motor setups on the felts. I have a 1903 I would like to motorize, but could not figure out what to do about a tank. I had wondered if the factory tank could be used.

The 3 speed models have a steel frame. I bought a Chief with the 3" tires. It is the smoothest riding bike I have ever rode. Felt also offers a bare frame set in steel.
  16. jdsidecar

jdsidecar Guest

Felt Gas tank ideas?

I am posting a photo of my Chief. I do not want to cut it to plug holes for the tank. I would like to find a small round tank to mount behind/under the seat. Anyone seen any tanks?

Attached Files:

HBLOCAL Guest

Sealing Felt Tanks

Keith , I Wish I Had Seen Your Post Earlier I Could Have Saved You A Lot Of Time And Work There Are Three Holes On The Front Head Tube Two Are On The Tube Itself And One On The Down Tube Inside Of The Tank Itself They All Need To Be Sealed Or You Will Have A Frame Full Of Gas Until It Leaks Out Of Your Lower Crank Arm Bearings.
    Also There Is One Sometimes Two Holes On The Seat Post Tube And The Wish Bone Section Between The Seat Tube And Rear Frame Down Tubes Are Not Welded Shut And Have To Be Sealed Also It Can Be Done W/ Out Any Welding Or Cutting To The Frame Thus No Re-painting Involved.
    I Am The One Who Built The Black "1903 " Seen On The Internet I Have Built Many Of The Felt Bikes And Have Solved Many Problems Associated With Motorizing The Felt Bikes I Would Be More Than Happy To Assist Anyone Who Is Contemplating Using A Felt Product.

HBLOCAL Guest

Felt Bicycles

In Reguards To Anyone Else Building Felt Bikes I Am The One Who Built The 1903 That You Looked At On The Internet That Was The Third One Of That Model That I Have Built.
    They Are Strong Bikes And Look Very Good When Done If You Have Any Questions On How I Build Them Or Seal The Tank W/out Welding Or Painting I Would Be Happy To Help You Out .

HBLOCAL Guest

Felt Bikes

20. kjparker

kjparker Member