I am interested in Felt bicycles. Anyone else?

Yeah, I found something on it by him, only it didn't say how to get to the holes, or were exactly they were.
What it did say was use JB weld and that motorcycle tank coating stuff. Sounds like a good plan to me, i just need to know how to get to the holes without cutting into the frame.

Hey Drunkskunk, Here is a link to the tank sealing process go to page two and you will see a long post by hblocal that explains it all.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=13404&highlight=felt
I just got a felt 1903 that I am going to heavily modify to look like a salt flat racing bike and am also going to use the tank, let my know how it goes when you get it done.
Hotrodlincoln

Last edited:
Anyone know much about Felt cruisers & 4strokes?

Found this thread while searching. I plan to pick up a 1903 today, and want to know how to seal up the tank. So whats the secret?

Are you going to put a 4-stroke or a 2-stroke into this 1903 Felt?
There are lots of pics of Felts with 2-strokes but only one of a Felt with a 4-stroke frame-mount and it has no mudguards and only one copaster brake which just isn't good enough. the 1903 is a lovely bike with springer forks but does it have a front brake? Has anyone put a 4-stroke into a 1903? Or any other Felt other than the one with the banana seat?
I researched the Felt Heritage which would be absolutely great except the downtube makes the space for the engine tray too small at about 150mm.

Holes in Frame

Yeah, I found something on it by him, only it didn't say how to get to the holes, or were exactly they were.
What it did say was use JB weld and that motorcycle tank coating stuff. Sounds like a good plan to me, i just need to know how to get to the holes without cutting into the frame.

DrunkSkunk , first of all you have to completely dissasemble the entire bike and I do mean everything two of the holes inside of the head fork tube can be seem by the naked eye all you have to do is put a little masking tape over the you don't need anything fancy .
The third hole can only be seen after you drill out your fill hole if you look at my " 1903 " pictures you will see where I drilled mine from that spot you will see the hole inside w/ a flash light not very easy to see or put the tape on the hole w/ a little patience it can be done.
The fourth hole some times two at the seat post can be seen after the seat tube has been removed put some tape on your finger and install over the hole again you don't need anything fancy masking tape will work fine.
Hope this helps you out any more concerns I would be more than happy to help , H.B. LOCAL
hope to see your progress soon and remember keep on riding!

I haven't decided yet on 2 or 4 stroke, I am leaning toward the grubee 48cc roundhead 2 stroke I like that has a more vintage look. That felt with the banana seat is the only 4 stroke I have seen he has a steel frame which I think has more clearance then the aluminum frame on mine. I'm actually changing the 1903 quite a bit from stock and I'm sure that will anger some people, but I think the outcome will be worth it. I have swapped the forks for triple trees with a disc brake and I am using a 24" rear wheel with a thick brick tire, the paint is also going to go, replaced by custom paint.
I'll start posting some progress pics soon.

Wow, thanks HBLOCAL! Do you have any close up shots of the filler or tap on the tank?

I bought my engine before I got the bike, its a 2 cycle HT "80", and I plan to use disk brakes on the front. I'd like to use a triple clamp shock fork if I can find one that will fit, and slightly modified to look like a springer. I plan to get a paint match and paint it to match the bike. I'm also looking to change out the handlebars for something more inline with a 1900's motorbike. I'm working right now on getting a title for it, so it will be road legal.

I'm in no rush to get this done. I've got an electric bike thats in the finnishing stages, and just happened to find the Felt 1903 used, but unridden and cheap this week, so untill the electric is done, i have all the time in the world to gather all the parts and information i need to make it work

hotrodlincoln, What forks are you going to use?

O'reilley's auto parts here in dallas has a couple of coolant recovery tanks that might work for you one even has rack you can strap to the bike

I traded my springer for a set of Endura zoom triple trees with a disc brake mount. They are fatter tubes than the typical forks I have seen online. just put them on a few days ago and they look pretty mean especially with the quick brick tire up front.

Back