I am looking for advice on what motor kit to use.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ace85258, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Ace85258

Ace85258 New Member

I have a 26" Huffy Beach Cruiser that I used to ride on the Strand in Southern California; I now life in Scottsdale, AZ and have decided that I'd like to motorize my Cruiser.

I am looking for some advice on what motor to use and where to get it. I am looking for something on the low end price-wise but I would like something fun and reliable.

I suppose I should have first asked if my Huffy is suitable for use with a motor kit. It seems a little "light-weight" to me but I am comparing it to bicycles I had as a kid; as the say; "they don't make 'em like they used to" but I want to make sure the frame is strong enough to be used as a motorized bike. BTW, It has no fenders (I have read that they can be a problem).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

ACE85258

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015

2. gothicguy64

gothicguy64 Member

if i was u ,, before anything take measurements of ur frame an take pics so ppl can help u more ...

u want at least 18 inchs from centre of crank to top bar
    thats ur seat tube
    an 13 inchs for vee
    most beach cruises can be retrofitted with a motor
    failling the get a stanton drive

try looking at cycling8zone.com

brad
    sydney nsw
    oz

3. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

A lot of guys here have motorised Huffy Cruisers.
    I'd suggest a search. (Top of page.)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  4. For reliability at a reasonable cost and ease of mounting, a rack mount friction drive with a 4 cycle engine is tough to beat. Since the engine and drive mount above the rear wheel the frame size is unimportant. If your cruiser has only a coaster brake on the rear wheel, I would strongly advise you add a brake on the front wheel also. At the speeds we can go a good set of brakes are quite important.

5. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Two stroke, four stroke - rack or frame mount should all work. Just read a lot of the posts on this forum and decide what will work best for you. Start with the photo gallery.

6. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

Welcome!
    Here is a pic of my huffy. Whatever you choose for a motor is up to you. Read alot in the 2 stroke and 4 stroke section and you will get an overall view. Also remember that rack mount is an option as wheelbender suggested.

Attached Files:

• 147.jpg
      147.jpg
      File size:
      192.9 KB
      Views:
  7. strotter

strotter Member

My $.02
    You can't use HT and reliable in the same sentence.
    4 stroke all the way. Honda 50 or Subaru 35. Carrying oil to mix is a pain.
    Friction is the least expensive and quickest to set up.

8. Hawaii_Ed

Hawaii_Ed Member

happy time is cheap, and does take tinkering, but can pretty ran reliably if looked after. Just tightening all your bolts frequently is a big help!

Read up and see what you like, the hobby is cheap enough you can do it a few times and have fun with all of them. I started with a cheap beach cruiser and a happy time kit, upgraded it a lot, and now ride what you see in my sig almost daily.

I got my last motor kit from bikeberry, the 66cc GT5 grube seems decent so far!

Ed