I am moving to a place I can't ride my bike as often

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Simonator, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Simonator

Simonator Guest

I been unemployed for a few months. I am behind on rent and there is no way I can catch up before I am evicted :( The only person that I know I can stay with is my brother. the bad thing is he lives in the same city that I just got in trouble for riding my bike at. That means if that same cop sees me riding again, I'm busted. Oh well..... I am still going to ride it, but not as much. My brother works at a paint shop. I am thinking about having him professionally paint my moondog black. Orange is very noticable. I really need to move to a state where I can legally ride my bike. I'm tired of always looking over my shoulder...

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Bummer, man.

When I left Michigan it was because I was just about as down and out as you just described. That was the early 80s and the economy there was just about as bad as it is now. Job prospects were very, very bad.

I went to San Francisco and got a job as a bicycle messenger. And though I've missed Michigan since, I still never really regretted moving on. And for someone who is into two-wheels, it's great to get out of the winter.

You ought to consider Los Angeles or Las Vegas or some place like that. It doesn't sound as though there's much left for you in MI

POLINGPOWER New Member

i also left MI for Texas in 1981, it still just as bad if not worst on the job market up there NOW
    i'm now in south florida the jobs have went away here too , dont get me wrong still jobs here just not like it was a couple of years ago
    SIMONATOR it a tough road up there for sure wish u the best dude, if u can leave south texas lots of work right now ( SORRY ) hurricane :evil:
  4. Simonator

Simonator Guest

I came up with rent money! I can stay at my apartment if I can find a job within a month. I am getting so desperate Ill work at Mc Donalds if I have to.
  5. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

I've always figured any income is better than none, so long as it is legally acquired. Take whatever work you can find while you keep looking for something better.
  6. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

we wish you much luck with the job hunting

yes - we do - wish you much luck with the job hunting

it's hard for some of us older guys
    watching younger ones looking so very hard for employment
    it seems that when we were young
    there were a lot more jobs for the common young person available

the key may be
    don't give up
    and treat looking for a job as a job -- put full time into it
    this is what I see many not doing
    they go job hunting for an hour or two a day (at most)
    and then wonder why no one is calling...

we need to work if we wish to -- RIDE THAT THING
  7. will_start

will_start Member

Hey Sim,

I work for a recruitment company, and know they all advertise online nowdays.
    Rarely in the standard press, unless they're after a high end job.

You can setup email to direct mail jobs in your category/skill area to you.
    So if you're serious get searching.
    Get an updated CV/Resume happening.

My 2c (AU).
  8. Simonator

Simonator Guest

I just got a job at burger King. Better than nothing. The good thing is I am not working with food or dealing with customers. I am doing maintenance. I am going to be getting 32 - 36 hours per week.

I don't have to move after all!
  9. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Good for You!! :clap:

couple that with a free or discounted Whopper, once in a while & life is good!
    (man I miss Whoppers....our BK closed a couple years back)

Again...I am glad for you!! hang tough!
  10. Simonator

Simonator Guest

The discounts are nice. I ate a breakfast meal for $2 today. Can't beat that!
  11. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

You gotta do what you gotta do to squeak out a living, even if it means doing a job that you don't particularly care for. I remember doing some "data entry" work a while back that consisted of checking an excel spreadsheet to a printed hard copy to make sure the data was consistent. It was the most boring work I had ever done. But it paid $25/hr and it provided my families living expenses until I found a better job. I suppose someone else might have been perfectly happy with that job, but I was pulling my hair out for the 5 months I did it and was happy that I had a job! (at least it was half way decent money!)
  12. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

sorry in advance......

10 years ago, I did tele-marketing, for 3 months while recovering from complications from a broken ankle. (mostly Discover Card, some of you may know me...sorry again) :sleep1::helpsmilie::surrender::death:
    this job really helped my rehab! I threw down those crutches ASAP, & found more physical work, where I didn't have to be nice to ppl & take carp from you nice folks, who were just trying to enjoy your dinner. (man...I took a lot of carp!!)

point is.... what arcee said..."ya gotta do.........."

"and if you have any questions, call 1-800-DISCOVER , and have a nice evening" :tt2:
  13. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

I'm sure you have some pretty good stories of people verbally abusing you! But hey - "it's a living!"

A buddy of mine worked (very shortly) for the water company repairing sewage pumps. Yes, it was sh*tty work (pun intended) but it was $40/hr with good benefits. He couldn't take it though, and didn't last 1 year. Definitely a Mike Rowe "Dirty Jobs" candidate!
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2008
  14. kerf

kerf Guest

Thought you sounded familiar.
  15. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

I did not want that job

I was offered that job once at the City of San Diego Treatment Plant
    it's a BIG place
    the interviewer walked me through the plant
    and then asked what I thought
    I wanted to be very careful with my reply