Carby I bored the jet on a china carb

"After patching Rusty's rear tube, a new plug, some fresh fuel & a good once over on the whole bike...Rusty started easy, but was sorta sluggish after 3/4 throttle. So.... all the talk of boring the main & only jet sounded appealing. I have a set of tiny dremel bits. diamond encrusted...abrasive, but tiny.
the smallest one..no, I did not use the dremel..went through with gentle twisting. the hole looked big compared to the pin hole in the one not tampered with.
I put my new jet in Rusty's carb and had a ride. Rusty would run wide open, with some episodes of bogging down.
Prolly fast enough...but... I raised the needle to the 3rd notch from the top and away we went.........
At this point, I lost a little bit of take off, but when Rusty wound up...he really screamed! "

It's the brass lookin' "thingy" that the slide needle goes into.

Don't do it if you aren't familiar with carbs. Just set the needle clip on the second from the bottom notch and ride it.

i know carbs just not these little things ill take a look when i get home.

The only carb more simple than these are the ones on model airplane engines....if you know carbs, you should have no problem with these.

easy, now...the "main jet", the one in question, is screwed onto the bottom of the 'pickup', do NOT drill anything else.

41_59_100_1323aa_1_1.jpg

ok, the reason i posted is i want to dig a lil deeper before i bore my jet.

i have the engine running nicely with a white-wire headlight and a slightly reduced plug-gap.

we've had some cold nights lately, and she runs like the proverbial bat in it. so, a leaner mixture is called for, eh? and, what's too lean? i use a 36:1 real-oil pre-mix. anyway, if i go to a leaner mixture slot, isn't that the exact right reason to bore the jet?

help me out here, i'm headtripping the details before i make a move, budget matters.

did anyone read the DIY post by sk8freak?
http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?t=1047

it gives details on bit sizes etc. I need to get some orifice bits or these wire gauge bits....are they the same thing? then maybe I can get more specific on the stock sized jet and what to bore it out to.

Augie...if your bike is running good already....why bother? wait & see if I vibrate Rusty to pieces, or blow up my Livefast 48cc. :)
(also....nice work on the carb pic.. 8) ..photoshop?)

srdavo: paint shop pro.

and the "why bother" is about top-end only, performance is beyond satisfactory, that's why i'm holding off so far. i may just find a smaller rear sprocket, the low-profile tires justify THAT move anyway.

Back