i bought a scooter!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by masterx1234, Jul 6, 2011.

1. masterx1234

masterx1234 Member

i officially bought my first scooter today, its a 50cc wilfire scooter, goes 45 mph, i bought it from a guy on craigslist for 300 bucks!

2. nwohater

nwohater New Member

Congrats. How many miles are on it?

If it's new or near new or the guy before you didn't do all these things there's a lot of maintenance you should do to those chinese scooters before you ride it.

Stuff falls off if they weren't assembled right with loctite on every screw, nut, and bolt. And they're never done right even at the factory. Most people suggest you remove all nuts and bolts and screws and loctite them and basically reassemble the whole thing one screw at a time.

Change fluids making sure to get transmission fluid also (it's seperate from engine fluid) and absolutely proper levels, even new from the factory they need new fluids the stuff they are shipped with is garbage used oil just enough to test run and stop things from rusting in transit. Don't touch the brake lines though, just top up brake fluid or you may not be able to get air out of the brakes if you try to bleed them or mess with their fittings.

Go over all the hoses and replace with quality US made gas and vaccum lines. Stock stuff cracks and leaks and will leave you stranded at the worst time.
    Check intake and carb and exhaust and everything on the motor external you can get to is all locktighted and tight especially.
    Check valve gaps, especially if it makes any ticking sounds as it's running.
    Top up battery if it's an open cell type, not sealed agm. Check grounding strap from engine to frame isn't attached on a painted area, it probably is, scuff paint off and put it back on tight with a good proper connection and again can you say locktite?

Check tire pressures and for cracking around valve stems. Check tire balance and seat just revving a little on center stand, and spinning front wheel by hand, if it wobbles or is crooked or makes the bike shake fix it before riding it.
    Put a fuel filter in line, they don't come with one stock or you will end up with carb cleaning soon or stranded from the first speck of grit that manages to get into your tank.

After you do all that to make sure it is set up ok, and things won't rattle off while going down the road they're allright, but the folks who assemble them at the factory and here in the us when they are uncrated are total imbeciles who do nothing right. Even at just 30-35mph it's your life on the line. Just tightening stuff won't cut it, you need loctite on everything. Don't think you can just overtighten things and do without loctite, because they're easy to strip and break screws and plastic etc on.

I have a 150 china scooter and 250 china cruiser and both needed all the above. The overall quality is low, and the assembly lower, but if you redo everything right and go over it fully and maintain it perfectly they can be a lot of fun. Only you can make it reliable, it won't be reliable unless you fix all the quirks or I guarantee you will end up stranded because of it or you will loose parts going down the road. Don't skip a thing, whatever you don't touch you're risking loosing.

And don't ride it like you stole it unless you are close to home and feel confident any kinks are worked out, and if you do beat on it and rev it high a lot then it's a good idea to put a quality timing chain in before too many miles or your piston might be saying hello to the valves. Baby it until you know it and have gone over every inch. Check how much it costs to add towing coverage to your insurance, if you don't have a truck yourself.

The engines are good usually, the most reliable part, except for cheap timing chain. Electronics aren't so good, cdi's go out often so do stator pick up coil. Wiring is poor, check all connections are tight and that individual wires aren't loose in the connectors so they can't just wobble loose from the connectors.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  3. masterx1234

masterx1234 Member

wow thank you for the tips man!, and yea it only had 150 miles on it, only problem was it had a crack in the plastic and the kickstand spring is broken, but the thing runs great, goes 45 mph (verified by my mothers speedometer in the car while riding behind me), the guy who owned it before removed the governor from the carb and now the engine can exceed 10,000 RPM and can go 45 mph on flats and 50 mph downhill.
  4. Lazieboy

Lazieboy Member

O no you did'nt

:grin5: I would like to get one also, but funding is an issue and with an mb i can just wheel it down the stairs in to the Bsmt. work area.
  5. nwohater

nwohater New Member

150 miles, yep that hasn't really even been broken in yet.

They don't have governors on the carb though, they use rpm limited cdi's. It's just a plug in electrical box. So all he did is replace the stock cdi.
    But be warned the max safe rpm is 9k, stock is limited to around 7-7.5.

Some of those aftermarket cdi's like yours have a pot built in you can adjust with a screwdriver for max rpm, if I were you I'd see if yours has that adjustment and turn it down to a safe level so you don't ruin the motor. Or at least keep in mind that's not designed to go 10k without further upgrades to the timing chain and valves and valve springs. It will blow up or fall apart if you do much at 10k without upgrading other parts too.

Upgrades are cheap, and fixing them is cheap even if you blow the engine up, but it would suck to blow it up before you even get much use out of it.

There's a ton of stuff you can do to them for looks and performance but don't sink much money into performance stuff at all, it's cheaper to just get a 150cc scooter later than try to upgrade a 50 or to replace the whole motor with a 150cc rather than trying lots of $$ in performance heads and exhaust and carb and etc etc etc.

But I do like when people mod them for looks...
    This trike uses that motor, in case you ever wreck the thing there's always more uses you can get from it:
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  6. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Keep us posted on how well the scooter does. Small two stroke engines can be hot rodded pretty cheaply. Four strokes do not benefit as much from the hot rod parts but they really sip fuel.