I broked my clutch

Carlos motors

Local time
12:27 PM
Few days ago i was drivimg my bike in the morning and everything was good. I stoped for one minute to buy one thi g in shop and when I came out engine was still warm so i thought it would turn on instantly. But I tried and tried and everytime I hears piston cominh up and down but engine wont start. I thought it was air and fuel but then I realised that I can push my bike same with and without holding a clutch lever. I tought I just needed to tight clutch cabel but nothing happened. My friend told me that that happend because I wasn't always peddaling when my engine started. Please can someone help me with this one.

most common thing would be that your cable was a bit loose, then popped out of the holder - look at the clutch arm when you pull the lever to see if it moves and comes back to normal position

when I came out engine was still warm so i thought it would turn on instantly. But I tried and tried and everytime I hears piston cominh up and down but engine wont start. I thought it was air and fuel but then I realised that I can push my bike same with and without holding a clutch lever. I tought I just needed to tight clutch cabel but nothing happened. My friend told me that that happend because I wasn't always peddaling when my engine started. .
Remove the right side clutch cover to see if the bolt holding the 20 tooth bevel gear has backed out.
The bevel gear has a half moon key that may have fallen out.
Pushing your bike with the cover off and clutch lever out will let you see if the gear is turning.

Also your clutch plate may need the flower nut turned in a bit so the plate grips the pads.

"I hears piston cominh up and down but engine wont start."
I was thinking it couldn't be a woodruff key, because of this. Is there enough friction between the 20t and the crankshaft to move the piston up and down (but enough slip to slow it down or just slip past the top of the stroke so the sparkplug won't fire)?

Crassius' idea seems logical and certainly easy to check.

I thought it could be an electrical problem, loose connection somewhere? Check you have spark.

(Not that I would know, but I hope I have been learning what to look for so I wouldn't get stuck miles from home too!)

Well it sounds like 1 of 3 things, you shorn a Woodruff key and a shaft is spinning freely, take off right side cover to determine, if small gear spins when you roll without touching clutch lever then it's the key on the small gear (very common) and if the large gear doesn't turn but the plate inside the gear does then the clutch is stuck out (not too common but happens, just hit the plate inside the big gear with a hard object) if nothing spins at all then the key on the left side gear is busted.

It's one of those 3 things, it's all capable of being figured out by looking under the same cover, so go and see which one(s) is/are not moving. Then we move on from there.

My money would have been on a sheared primary (small) gear woodruff key, if not for hearing and seeing the piston go up and down.

I would lean more to a flooding condition as it worked fine until he stopped, and then wouldn't start back up.

Pull your plug out, and with the clutch out pedal up the block and back to clean out the engines lower end of any Puddled fuel and try again.

If she starts right up after that, check your carb level from the float to it's actual mounting, and of course always turn your fuel off when parked ;-}

Last edited:
My money is with KC on this one with a a twist. Screw backed out and the gear popped loose enough for the key to fall out on the bump start.

So i removed side plate clutch arm works normally I gues when I release it it comes back in its normal position when I hold clutch lever both of gears dont spin and when i relasr it both oh them spin but as I said I can hear piston going up and down so easy that I can push bike with same energy with and without holding the clutch lever.

check the compression. It would be weird for it to happen suddenly like that, but these bikes are sometimes weird. Possible head gasket or warped head.

Back