I can't figure this out....

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by brydonb, Aug 12, 2008.

1. brydonb

brydonb Member

k, I have an "80"cc chinese engine. When I go to start the bike, I pedal and then disengage the clutch, I dont hear ANY sounds though for the first little bit? I used to hear the piston go up and down before it would ignite the gas... now I pedal, I dont hear anything... like it turns the rear sprocket, (I know this because it slows me right down), then I have to pedal back up to speed and then it will ignite and run smoothly? Does anyone have any ideas? Its not really a problem so much as its buggin me and I want to know WHY it does that? So has this happened to anyone in the past... anyone have any ideas?

HAPPY RIDIN

2. stude13

stude13 Active Member

hi bry; first, when you let go of the clutch lever the clutch engages. i think the clutch is not adjusted right. if the lever is set with the button, can you lift the rear wheel and spin it easily? if not tighten clutch cable. if you can, loosen clutch cable. adjust little bits at a time.

3. brydonb

brydonb Member

my clutch is adjusted very well... when its pulled in, the back tire spins freely... when it is let out (to start it) it is holding nice and solid. Like I said in my post... it takes me 2 trys to start it, and on the first turn i dont hear the piston moving. After the engine has started the clutch works very well, I ride all over the place and have no problems with it.

4. stude13

stude13 Active Member

if your bike is moving with the clutch out and the motor is not turning over. your clutch is slipping, then catching the second time.

5. brydonb

brydonb Member

so is there a remedy for this?

6. stude13

stude13 Active Member

yes. loosen the cable a little and then more if needed.

7. brydonb

brydonb Member

so why does it only do this the first time and then I have no problem say... on an hour long ride stopping at lights and what not?

8. stude13

stude13 Active Member

its trying to drive you nuts and it might be working.

9. brydonb

brydonb Member

lmao well its sure doin the trick...

10. Bronzebird

Bronzebird Member

Funny as all get out

Well, maybe a knee slapper.
    Good advice on the clutch being a tad to tight on adjustment. I personally wish the thumb lock had a slightly wider lock out for more disengagement latitude.

11. hi, mine does that, open and close the throttle really quickly, and see if that works! Works everytime for mine, providing yours has the similar situaltion as mine :p
    Try with the choke on for a few runs, if that doesnt work turn choke off and keep opening and closing the throttle lever :)

12. Huntington

Huntington Member

are you priming the carb before you try and start? Sounds like you might not have gas in the bowl, I would also check for a leak, intake and exhaust.

It's hard to say what your problem is without having the bike but its not sounding like a clutch issue to me. (but what do I know) I would prim the carb then try and start your bike. Use some choke when you first start the bike and after it gets a lil warm you can open the choke.

If thats not working, (starting your bike in about 20ft) then something is wrong.

Depending on how many miles you have on the engine, it might be time to replace your gaskets... using the red rtv gasket marker is good practice. Check your carb and throttle pin to make sure nothing is bent. Also, your idle screw may have come loose half a turn or the cheap mesh gas filter may be clogged.... Clean your spark plug and add a small amount of oil down the cylinder. Check your exhaust pipe for clogs. Might need to clean that sucker.

.... wish you the best, don't get frustrated.. just troubleshoot that thing one step at a time and you will be riding again in no time. :)