I forgot...

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Warner, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Warner

Warner Member

After doing a boatload of upgrades to my bike over the winter, I've barely ridden it. Makes sense, right? Hahah. Anyway, I recenly bought a cheap tandem bicycle (Kent Dual Drive) off of Amazon for $250 including shipping! Yeah, cheap components of course, but really a totally usable bike. My wife doesn't know how to ride a bike, so this is perfect for her to be in back just pedalling while I do the "piloting". She loves it and we tooled around the neighborhood last night about 5 miles. My 10 year old daughter and I took a 15 mile ride on Sunday as well.

During this course of being in "bike mode", I figured I'd start up the MAB and go for a quick spin around the block. Started right up (of course...Mitsubishi TLE 43 engine). As I got on the bike (pedaling) I realized how nice the upgrades that I made were....front suspension, front disc brake, replaced the rear brake for a nice V brake, raised the handlebars, et. As I got under way and hit the gas, I realized how FAST this thing is! I got up to 30 real quick, and without really trying I looked down as saw I was doing 33mph.

I know that's not flying (I have hit 41mph on this bike before), and I think it was largely because I hadn't been on it for a while, but it seemed FAST. Maybe I'll start using it some more....even though I scavenged my panniers off of it to put on the tandem! Those move back and forth real easily....

2. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Hey Warner, haven't seen ya around in a while. Good to hear you're back in the saddle.

Maybe a motor on that tandem? :D

3. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

what do you think the second person is for? :jester:
  4. Warner

Warner Member

It's actually nice to get a little exercise. I used to think riding the MAB was exercise, but at the end of the day it is VERY little exercise. Whenever the going gets tough, you can just quit pedaling. :) The tandem is nice for rides with my 10 year old daughter and my European wife who never learned to ride a bike back in Serbia (city girl!).

5. Warner

Warner Member

PS - The components on this bike are so cheap that I wouldn't consider putting an engine on it.....I think it would fall apart. My dialed-in Trek, it isn't.

6. Luka

Luka Member

I rode with a friend up a steep hill.

When we got to the top, he said, "Man, that was a steep grade".

I said, "yer telling me !!"

"I was so scared that we were going to go backwards, that I was pushing the brakes as hard as I could, all the way up."