I got a bad idea...

Parah_Salin

Local time
12:11 PM
Small compressed oxygen tank. Steal hosing, second carb. How would this compare to nitrous?

Of all the hundreds of thousands of race car engines built and run, I have never seen a single reference to running straight oxygen (O2) into the intake. Probably because its oxidizing ability (ability to start fire without a spark or flame) in a mostly-uncontrollable way

I would like to see what happens. I recommend trying feeding O2 into the intake of an engine you don't mind if it is destroyed. Get an O2 bottle from Home Depot, and a very long length of copper tubing, not steel. Start the sacrificial engine and then open the O2 bottle valve from behind a wall or someplace. Feed the O2 into the intake. Be sure to videotape the engine; I'd like to see what happens.

Maybe someone on YouTube has already done this...

what about putting a nitrous tank with a valve to restrict flow so its a very small trickle that doesn't destroy the engine and hooking it up to the throttle so it automatically gives it a trickle of nitrous between just above idle and about half throttle, for more torque on takeoffs?

what about putting a nitrous tank with a valve to restrict flow so its a very small trickle that doesn't destroy the engine and hooking it up to the throttle so it automatically gives it a trickle of nitrous between just above idle and about half throttle, for more torque on takeoffs?

You could to that with either. You'd just need dual cables on the oxygen/nitous and the regular throttle. The issue is that I ran the math on pure oxygen, and a %50 power increase would last you 4 minutes on a small bottle.

Still, if you use it only for passing, or for when you desperately need to get up to speed (boston traffic) you should be good.

Personally I wish I could get my paintball tank filled with O2. Light as a feather, 45 cubic inches at 4500 PSI. I'm not sure if this the correct forumla, but if atmospheric pressure is about 15 PSI, then that would be 300 x 45 CI- or 13,500 CI of oxygen at normal pressure.

A 66 CC engine is about 4 CI. So, that means that it is taking in 4 CI of air with every stroke. Air is 20% oxygen. Adding enough oxygen to make it 30% oxygen with an increase in fuel would add 50% more power.. So you'd want to add 0.4 CI of oxygen per stroke. Running at 5,000 RPM this means it would eat 2500 x 0.4 CI (ends up being 1000 CI) of oxygen per minute. This means that at 5000 RPM I would have 13 and a half minutes of %50 power. Now that would be sweet.

The issue is...who the **** is stupid enough to fill my paintball tank with oxygen?

Also, how much power does nitrous add per unit of volume injected? And how much is in one of those kits you can buy off Ebay?

hah ha turtle ted made me LOL! I almost shot coffee out of my nose!

wont work... you are just going to run a lean condition. My prediction is detonation.

wont work... you are just going to run a lean condition. My prediction is detonation.

No the idea is you have a carb dedicated to the O2 intake. So when you turn it on you are adding O2+a perfectly balanced to slightly rich fuel mixture.

Back