i got a car!!.....kinda...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by eltatertoto, Mar 26, 2009.

1. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

well i found out a few weeks agao (my parents already knew but chose not to tell me :snobby: ) that as long as i go to driving schoool i can get my permit at 15 as long as i show proof of enrollment. so while im waiting on somone to buy my ps3 so i can enroll, i was looking for cars and just as i was gonna trade my 3 mb's and 2 scoots for a 99 cavalier with a anhillated rear fender my dad and ma offered me my ma's 96 neon. its not exactly in good condition but its free! an theres nothing some body filler and some paint wont fix... (i say that very optimistically) anyway, heres the vid. i didnt bother editing it. ive got the seats out and im in the process of shampooing everything...

its not youtube, because my ma checks my u tube sometimes and she would be real embarrased if she found out this was videotaped let alone posted worldwide!:sweatdrop:

i cuss a little. beware....

do yall think its worth fixing or should i leave it as-is?
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2009

2. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Good for you, Tater! Nothing a little work can't take care of. I remember my first car. My Grandmother gave it to me, and it was a '67 Olds Cutlass coupe. It had power! It drank nothing but premium, and got 12 miles to the gallon. I didn't like it at the time because I preferred (and still do) manual transmissions, and this was an automatic. Nevertheless, I wish I still had that car..
  3. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Definately worth fixing up, 'tater. Suggestion for dealing with the smell of spilt milk in upholstery and carpet - my Mom taught me this trick: buy a large container of powdered cinammon, and spead it heavily on all affected materials, work it into the carpet/upholstery thoroughly. It dries the material up and totally nuetralizes/covers the smell of spoilt milk, yet its own scent dies down pretty quickly.

Good luch with sealing the major water leaks. Don't know what it is with Neons, but of the three people I've known who owned them, all three fought leaky windshields/back windows. Mechanic I know claims it is because the unit body construction design called originally for a heavier/more rigid floor pan - Chrysler used a lighter gauge of steel than originally designed for, and the bodies flex a good bit. Don't know if that is true, but it makes sense
  4. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Up here, we'd just paint it camo, and drive it 'til it dies. My first car was a late '50s Rambler Ambasador. I spent a couple of months getting it running. I never drove it. While I was at the DMV getting my permit, my dad sold it and bought me my first motorcycle.
  5. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

thanks for the support!! but the entire side of the car including the pillars and rockers all the way up to the front of the door is one piece, so im reallly scared of trying to replace it lol. im hesitant to use a gallon of filler to fix the quarters lol. oh and simon, the problem in my case(or at least i read at the neon forums) is the seals around the taillights are bad and it goes all the way into the back seats and on the floor..... easy enough fix... anyway, thanks for the comments!!!

i dunno wether to say that sucks or woohoo van lol. cause i wanna ride one of my dads harleys but i also need somthing in winter lol
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2009
  6. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

oh, i meant to elaborate on the kinda thing. once I replace the spark plug tube seals and figure out what the dieing cat sounds are i gotta share it with my ma till she files/gets back the tax return lol. right now she gets to drive my grandmas 2004 buick, and shes not complaining lol
  7. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Filler ain't the only option. On smooth dents very often a suction cup puller or an electromagnet puller can pull out the worst of the dents. Creases are more of a problem, but drill and pull will often get most of those - then it's just a bit of bondo and some paint. The leaking tail light seals make sense for the water problem source.

That squealing belt/frozen pulley is lot bigger concern. Probably an idler (hope it is an idler) pulley with a bad bearing, but get it repaired ASAP. The radio/music system is nice, and you got a great deal, but do yourself a favor - spend your cash on mechanical/electrical system fixes first. Listening to the radio in a stationary car that you can't drive gets old fast.

Kilroy, my 3rd car was a 1963 Olds f85 Cutlass Hardtop convertible body style coupe with an Aztec aluminum block V8. Got T-boned by a guy running a red light at about 50 mph in Corvallis, Oregon in it, and survived with some broken ribs and lots of bruises. Drove it with a pluwood panel where the passenger door had been for another 7 months, then pulled the engine and stuck it in a Vega wagon - boy, was that thing a nasty surprise to a lot of street draggers.
  8. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

well i know about the fixing it thing. i actually bought all the stereo stuf a few months agao. i actually got the head unit at the circuit city going outa bidness sale for $20. i think it might be the power steering pump cause (ive never heard it run btw) my ma said she went to my grandmas came out and when she went to leave it was making the noise. so she drove it in the garage and took the buick.
  9. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

well, i found out today that unles you got a grinder and welder you cant replace the quarters.... anyway, i started the car on cam for the 1st time in 5 months. i think it just needs a belt but my dad thinks there is a possibility of bad bearings in the alt... anyway here is the vid...

10. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

I can imagine! I learned to drive in a '72 Vega wagon, and it sure wasn't any hot rod! I can only imagine what the aluminum V-8 could do in that car.
    I found a photo of a '67 Cutlass that looks just like the one I had (except for the wheels). I wish I still had that car...

Oh Tater, sorry about hijacking your thread...:whistling:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  11. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

no problem lol, im into old cars. i used to help my dad work on his 70 camino before he sold it.....:icon_cry: lol
  12. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest