I got electrocuted by the kill switch and other questions

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Kncool, Aug 14, 2007.

  1. Kncool

    Kncool Guest

    So I just finished my bike and motor, wiring is black to black, blue to blue, white to nothing and hanging there, and kill switch end was attached to where the blue to blue meets together (this is right?). First time I rode the kill switch doesnt work after pressing it numerous time, so I just pull in the clutch and choke the motor out. Second time I rode after readjusting the idle screw the motor didnt die when I tried to choke it, so I tried the kill switch again and got this major shock up my arm, and I guess that killed the engine also. Can some one tell me whats wrong, I dont want to get electrocuted everytime I want the engine killed.

    Also, the engine is not very smooth and sputters once in a while, and the handle bar vibrates alot uncomfortably. How do I reduce this or is it just normal.

    And one last question, on the carburetor there's a sliding switch thing, it has an arrow like this <-> with chinese symbols on both ends, what is it used to adjust? Thank you.
     

  2. HoughMade

    HoughMade Guest

    I can't answer all your questions, but it sounds like your kill switch isn't making it to ground and it tried to ground through you.

    BTW- electrocuted = dead...which you clearly are not. You were shocked- glad to see its the latter and not the former. ;)
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2007
  3. thatsdax

    thatsdax Guest

    Here is the deal

    You have two choices. Voltage to ground or return, or voltage up your arm. If you do not have good contact to bare metal for your kill switch, then you are the next choice . Path of least resistance. You have paint or clear coat on your bars. You need to mark where your kill switch metal is, remove the switch and then file a bare spot for your kill switch to touch its metal to the metal of the handle bar. Done.. Enjoy the ride..
     
  4. Kncool

    Kncool Guest

    oh so that's what grounded means, haha ok you should really make that clear in the installation guide for newbies to prevent further shock :)
     
  5. gone_fishin

    gone_fishin Guest

    "grounded" is a pretty-well established electrical term...i think you have to quit relying on your "noob-ness" as an excuse & stop blaming others because you don't know something...from now on, try "thank you! i did not know that, now i do because of your help." it's more gratifying to help someone who's making an effort than to be treated rudely just because we don't know that you don't know something.

    how can you follow instructions if you skip unknown terms? if you encounter a term you don't know, google it before you go any further. you're on the web, fer cryin' out loud, there isn't anything you can't find on your own if you try.

    you can either complain that i'm not being "noob-friendly" or you can view this as a FREE lesson about self-reliance.

    not sorry...you asked for that...twice now.

    go kick yer dog next time instead of folks who're trying to help you (it's a joke, do NOT kick dogs) :p
     
  6. LEGAL DISCLAIMER*

    Motoredbikes.com does not condone the kicking of animals, cruelty towards animals or any heretofore mentioned cruelty of any kind.

    * you're welcome


    seriously though, WE WERE ALL NEWBIES AT ONE POINT! then we asked questions, we went on wikipedia, we went outside and messed with our bikes. We never once blamed anybody else for anything we ourselves did or through lack of knowledge failed to do - so stop using that as an excuse!
     
  7. gone_fishin

    gone_fishin Guest

    hehe...my first thought was "if we were talking about an electric stove or dryer, he'd be dead right now."

    (and blaming maytag, no doubt)

    seriously, Kncool, try a little humility & gratitude...this is a tight bunch, and it's way more fun to be "inside" than out :)
     
  8. drimpact

    drimpact Member


    Way more fun. This group is by far the most comprehensive group of builders
    I have found yet. I have been to numerous forums of the years of every concealable subject. MBc Rock!! It fills a gap of information and a much needed sense of camaraderie. Thank you Augie, Tom and the rest of the moderators and volunteers. You guys Rock!!!
     
  9. Kncool

    Kncool Guest

    Ok sorry everybody for my attitude, I know what grounded means but I ddint think it could be done by connecting the killswitch to the frame, and that the paint could prevent it from being grounded. Well my bike is running fine except that the kill switch still doesnt work, my engine doesnt start with it spliced in so I just took it off. Should I just buy another one on ebay? Thank you everyone, this site has helped me a lot.
     
  10. azbill

    azbill Active Member

    I had the same problem with my throttle w/built-in kill switch,
    when it shorted, the juice went through both arms and kinda paralyzed me for about 15 secs (felt a lot longer:rolleyes:)...
    I thought I was gonna pass out!!! :eek:
    now, I use a common 2 position switch from checker (cheap n reliable)
     

    Attached Files:

  11. npk1977

    npk1977 Guest

    Ok, I've been reading this thread and agreeing with everything said up until I read azkronic's post. I didn't realize the problem was so serious.

    If the kill switch is really paralyzing people for up to 15seconds, then vendors really should make more effort to explain the importance of a clean circuit. In the wrong circumstances, 15s paralysis is extremely dangerous. Another sobering thought: I'm no expert on electrocution, but the ground path goes near the heart, it could cause a life-ending electrocution (though i'm much more worried about the 15s of paralysis.)
     
  12. azbill

    azbill Active Member

    I must say that my hands were pretty sweaty...
    (I live in the desert, my hands are always sweaty LOL:D)
    it definitely felt like more than 12v tho :eek:,
    I have gotten 12v shocks before :rolleyes:
     
  13. Jim H

    Jim H Guest

    Holy ****!!! I've heard it all now... npk, your just pulling our leg aren't you?
     
  14. npk1977

    npk1977 Guest

    No, I'm not.

    I know that if someone paralyzed me for 15s on my bike, I'd be ****ed. Though, I never read the instructions, hehee, don't you think they should mention something like, "make sure there's a good connection for your switch."
     
  15. azbill

    azbill Active Member

    I wasn't actually paralyzed ,I was just kinda froze for a bit...
    it was a pretty good zap :rolleyes:
    it was not that big a deal, I was just relating MY version for his thread

    ...sorry for romping all over your thread :eek:
    we now return this thread to Kncool :cool:
     
  16. japat100

    japat100 Guest

    if you use rubber on your mounts like i did and also used asbestos where the muffler meets the frame ,then its wise to have a ground strap on the motor to the frame ,,also with so much vibration and greases packed fork ,,it is a possible that the handle bars may not be a perfect ground ,,and i would not want to think by pressing the kill switch that somehow the current could ground back to the carb through the throttle cable ,, that could burn the a,,,,,,,,,out of your pants ,, so for safety sake i ran a copper wire to the handle bars not only for kill switch but also for generator light ,,why take a chance when apiece of wire is worth 10 cents ,,,,,,,it would not be a good thing for the mb community if the headlines read ,
    "" MAN GETS ELECTROCUTED BY A 49CC BICYCLE ""
    japat
     
  17. Kncool

    Kncool Guest

    Yes there's really no clear cut instruction (I did searching and went on dax's site before this), and since most people believe what they think grounded means they might put it off as something not serious. Well Im gonna go find a new killswitch like azkronic did =D. Also cam battery is dead now, I'll post some pictures up later of my new transportation mode.
     
  18. Alaskavan

    Alaskavan Guest

    The kill switch that came with my kit didn't work either. I just got a 2 position swich and put it on. No biggie. The kill switch is important for the stealth mode approach to home too late at night.
     
  19. Jim H

    Jim H Guest

    Is the shock as intense as say holding the plug wire and plug? That makes for a painful shock as I remember.
     
  20. HoughMade

    HoughMade Guest

    The kill switch is not 6v or 12v, but is in fact grounding the ignition, so it is exactly like grabbing the spark plug- more like a few thousand volts (10,000, 20,000, 30,000 give or take)...but very, very little current. It will certainly startle you and may very well cause confusion for a long enough time to be dangerous, but it will not physiologically paralyze you. The results could be the same, however.
     
Loading...