I have a question for ya......

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by TOTAL CARNAGE, Mar 18, 2012.

1. TOTAL CARNAGE

TOTAL CARNAGE Member

I built a nice Cranbrook for a girl to use at collage two years ago. I guess she's done because I see it posted on Craig's list. She is asking 300 for it, well below what I sold it for!
    Now the question is....should I buy it back? It still looks like the day I sold it. I just hate to see some jerk get it and screw it up and I can always use another toy.
    One pic shows it with out a rack and the other you can see the hand built book rack she wanted.
    300 is a good price, black Jet engine, custom exhaust and rack. Should I ???? :confused:

Attached Files:

2. highonthai

highonthai New Member

I'd say yes, buy it back.
    It looks every bit worth $300!
    If it was here in Los Angeles I'd sure buy it!

3. jeffuehrer

jeffuehrer Member

Definitely buy it back! Although you might want to give the money to someone else to buy it back if it feels awkward.

4. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Same here! Funny thing, I remember you posting the second picture awhile back, not sure about the first.

5. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

are you sure that those pics are recent?
    they could be pics of it when she first got it from you and it may not look that good anymore.
    just a thought.

6. LR Jerry

LR Jerry Well-Known Member

How it runs right now is more important than how it looks.

7. motorpsycho

well, i'm kind of the opposite.
    Making my bikes look good are just as important as how they run.
    making them look good takes time and patience, with custom made parts and custom paint.
    making them run good is the easy part.

8. LR Jerry

LR Jerry Well-Known Member

I was thinking along of the lines of expense. It takes less money to make something look good than it does to make it run good.

9. motorpsycho

not exactly true.
    you can make something look good for pennies if you have the skills to do everything (paint, make parts from scrap, take your time on the details).
    you can also make them run good for pennies if you have the ability to tune and re-jet a carb and do all of your own work.
    the most expensive part on my bike is the engine itself (which was $85.00 for the whole kit). the rest is just my abilty to make things, pay attention to the details, and do custom paint work. (it also pays to have friends who can do pinstripong and make custom decals for free)
    I pick up nice used bike parts for free at the local bicycle recycling shop.
    the intial bike show here, complete with the springer frontend cost me $30.00 off craigslist.
    new tires were around $30.00, expansion chamber was $50.00 (modified by me), chain tensioner was built from a derailer, seat, sissy bar and handlebars were free, the grips were $5.00, the digital speedometer ( inside a gutted and flipped headlight) was $10.00.
    the fenders came on the bike and i chopped them to make them shorter. the rear caliper brake and lever were free, I painted the gas tank and my friend did the pinstriping. another friend made the vinyl chainguard decals for me for free.
    exhaust header wrap, left over from when i wrapped the exhaust on my 55 pontiac.
    i re-jetted and tuned the carb which cost me around $3.00 for a new jet. better nuts, bolts and washers, approx. $10.00 worth. chopped front spring to lower it, free.
    top speed is around 30 mph, but i'm running a 41 tooth sprocket on a 20" wheel which makes it have a lot of bottom end.
    I don't have a whole lot of money in it, but i have been offered quite a bit for it.
    i have around $300.00 in the whole bike, including the paint, and my bike is definitly a one of a kind and you will probably never see another one that looks just like it.
    $300.00 seems to be the average cost for most people to build an average looking "cookie cutter" motorized mountain bike, without a custom paint job.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  10. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Oh Well!!!

Hey Moto, I was trying to find somthing wrong with it just to mess with ya a little. I gave up, that's just SWEET.
    Big Red.

11. motorpsycho

the only things wrong with are that the seat needs more padding, and it's not fast enough.
    :)

12. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Sweet

Yeah Moto, Those bannana seats were never known for their comfort, And 30mph is plenty fast for that bike. I'd ride it.
    Big Red.

13. V 35

V 35 Member

That's one wild ride ! I like the color and ' Drag Ray ' theme.
    Would you run some photos of the drive chain side ? No one
    seems to show the ' dark ' side, just the beauty side. I'd like to see the tensioner, that was a real sore thumb on my last build.
    Wound up cutting down a ' death pop ' type tensioner, to get slotted bracket, brazed it sideways, and added roller.

14. motorpsycho

sure, here's the "dark side" of my bike.
    My chain tensioner is actually used for downhill single speed bikes.
    I had to modify it slightly to make it work, but what i understand is that this tensioner, would take the place of a derailer when you turn a multi speed bike into a single speed bike.
    [​IMG]

15. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Tensioner

Hey Moto, Won't the tensioner, being on top, let the chain go loose on the bottom side while under power. I'm very sure you have the chain alighned perfectly so it's not a problem for you, but others might try it this way and not get the same result as you. You're a perfectionest, Others may not be.
    Big Red.

16. DeathProof

DeathProof Member

"If you love your bike, set it free. If it comes back its yours; if it don't they never were. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2015
  17. motorpsycho

i don't really know.
    All i know is that my tensioner works, even tho so many people say that you shouldn't put a tensioner on top of the chain.
    it's been on my bike for about 3 years now and i have no had any issues with it or the chain.
    I ran it for about a year without a tensioner and decided to add one after i went from a 44 tooth rear sprocket, down to a 41 tooth.
    It really needs a 36 tooth sprocket because of the 20" wheels. a 41 give it a little too much bottom end, and my cruising (15-18 mph) rpm is a little higher than i'd like it to be.

18. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Tensioner

I seem to recall we've had this discusion before. And I know that if you were having problems with the tensioner it would be fixed ASAP. Anyway, you already know that while under power all the stress is on the roller without me telling you so. But hey, if it's worked for three years then it would'nt hurt even if you had to replace it every three or four years. It's still a real sweet bike. (except for that hard, hard seat.)
    Big Red.
    Just looked closer. It's on a spring so very little pressure on the roller. COOL.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  19. motorpsycho

yeah any time you see a tensioner, it's always on the bottom.
    harley primary chain tensioners are on the bottom, dirt bike tensioners are on the bottom, any time you see a tensioner on a drive chain, it's always on the bottom.
    but having the tensioner on the top has worked for me on this bike....so if it aint broke, no need to fix it right?
    yes, it has a spring pulling down on it to put pressure on the chain as it rotates.
    also yes, that hard seat....it has padding, but not very much. I can usually ride for about 10-15 minutes before my butt goes numb, lol.
    but hey, it's all part of the look and i'll sacrifice comfort for a cool look any day.

the tensioner on my o.c.c. is on the top as well, but it's a slider tensioner, not a wheel or a gear. it's just a wedge of delrin that's under the chain on the top side. this works great actually, and i drilled a hole in the delrin and filled it with grease. so, it self lubes the chain as it wears.
    that ones been on for 2 years and it;s barely worn, and it does the job.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    Big Red likes this.
  20. Jezz you guys do some fabulous custom work