I have a question for ya......

That's one wild ride ! I like the color and ' Drag Ray ' theme.
Would you run some photos of the drive chain side ? No one
seems to show the ' dark ' side, just the beauty side. I'd like to see the tensioner, that was a real sore thumb on my last build.
Wound up cutting down a ' death pop ' type tensioner, to get slotted bracket, brazed it sideways, and added roller.

sure, here's the "dark side" of my bike.
My chain tensioner is actually used for downhill single speed bikes.
I had to modify it slightly to make it work, but what i understand is that this tensioner, would take the place of a derailer when you turn a multi speed bike into a single speed bike.
drag1.jpg

Tensioner

Hey Moto, Won't the tensioner, being on top, let the chain go loose on the bottom side while under power. I'm very sure you have the chain alighned perfectly so it's not a problem for you, but others might try it this way and not get the same result as you. You're a perfectionest, Others may not be.
Big Red.

"If you love your bike, set it free. If it comes back its yours; if it don't they never were. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't really know.
All i know is that my tensioner works, even tho so many people say that you shouldn't put a tensioner on top of the chain.
it's been on my bike for about 3 years now and i have no had any issues with it or the chain.
I ran it for about a year without a tensioner and decided to add one after i went from a 44 tooth rear sprocket, down to a 41 tooth.
It really needs a 36 tooth sprocket because of the 20" wheels. a 41 give it a little too much bottom end, and my cruising (15-18 mph) rpm is a little higher than i'd like it to be.

Tensioner

I seem to recall we've had this discusion before. And I know that if you were having problems with the tensioner it would be fixed ASAP. Anyway, you already know that while under power all the stress is on the roller without me telling you so. But hey, if it's worked for three years then it would'nt hurt even if you had to replace it every three or four years. It's still a real sweet bike. (except for that hard, hard seat.)
Big Red.
Just looked closer. It's on a spring so very little pressure on the roller. COOL.

Last edited:
yeah any time you see a tensioner, it's always on the bottom.
harley primary chain tensioners are on the bottom, dirt bike tensioners are on the bottom, any time you see a tensioner on a drive chain, it's always on the bottom.
but having the tensioner on the top has worked for me on this bike....so if it aint broke, no need to fix it right?
yes, it has a spring pulling down on it to put pressure on the chain as it rotates.
also yes, that hard seat....it has padding, but not very much. I can usually ride for about 10-15 minutes before my butt goes numb, lol.
but hey, it's all part of the look and i'll sacrifice comfort for a cool look any day.

the tensioner on my o.c.c. is on the top as well, but it's a slider tensioner, not a wheel or a gear. it's just a wedge of delrin that's under the chain on the top side. this works great actually, and i drilled a hole in the delrin and filled it with grease. so, it self lubes the chain as it wears.
that ones been on for 2 years and it;s barely worn, and it does the job.

Last edited:
Back