I have had it with crappy times...

S

Simonator

I am sick of tinkering with it every single day. There is ALWAYS something going wrong! I feel like I am working on it more than I am riding it! It's a beautiful sunny day today. Guess what... I am not riding it... I am working on it!!! AGAIN!!!

Here is what happened today. I pulled out into busy traffic, so I had to really get on the gas. Well I wasn't moving very fast and the engine was screaming. So..... that must mean one thing... The clutch is slipping! So I go home, remove the cover, and everything is soaked with oil! I haven't completely disassembled one of these motors yet, so I am not sure what the problem is. There must be a bad seal somewhere, which is causing the oil/gas mixture to leak into clutch housing. What else could it be?

I am losing alot of motivation to keep working on these things.... I am going to try to save up for a better engine kit. Any recommendations? I was checking out GEBE today. I don't know if those engines are big enough for me. I weigh 270 lbs.

Well back to work on the crappy time.....

Hondas and those Subaru motors are bullit proof. Theres a Mitsubishi motor too thats a great motor. Most high end lawn equipment manufacturers use japanese motors for a reason.

I hear you! Today I have the whole day off and nothing to do and it is a beautiful summer day, but I'm stuck at home working on it instead of riding it.

Update.

Maybe the clutch doesn't have oil on it.I put it back together, and tightened up the nut real good and now its not slipping. It still can't be normal that all that oil got in there.... Any ideas???

Break-in

I forgot to say that I only have 200 miles on this engine!!!!

Josh, did you do the break in on this bike, nice and easy for the first tank? There are lot's of adjustments and checking bolts and screws for the first few hundred miles... Just stick with it. My old Schwinn Suburban is running great. I have a OLD Kings 80cc, I've jet to tighten a screw in 2 years.

For the last 2500 miles on it, it's been as reliable as a Honda! Feel free to PM me if you need help. I'm taking the motor off the old schwinn and putting on a newer one... TELL me these motors won't last!

Brad

Attachments

• transformation.JPG
    transformation.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 221
I know it is frustrating to many. Remember the saying that, " you get what you pay for."

Update.

Maybe the clutch doesn't have oil on it.I put it back together, and tightened up the nut real good and now its not slipping. It still can't be normal that all that oil got in there.... Any ideas???

Josh,
no, it's not normal to have oil inside the clutch cover. There is a seal, behind the small gear...the one attached to your crankshaft.
I do NOT know if this is a happytime replacement part...from anybody. (But, I believe there is a number on the seal, which means you could probably find a replacement at a machinery supply co.....or we have "Bate's bearings"....might be worth a google!)

IMHO... everybody doesn't have to love happy/crappytimes.

I do!:D ( I like 'em all!!)
but I also enjoy the "tinkering" time.

Josh,
no, it's not normal to have oil inside the clutch cover. There is a seal, behind the small gear...the one attached to your crankshaft.
I do NOT know if this is a happytime replacement part...from anybody. (But, I believe there is a number on the seal, which means you could probably find a replacement at a machinery supply co.....or we have "Bate's bearings"....might be worth a google!)

IMHO... everybody doesn't have to love happy/crappytimes.

I do!:D ( I like 'em all!!)
but I also enjoy the "tinkering" time.

After thinking about it, I also came to the conclusion that it has to be the seal on the crank. There is no other place oil could be coming from. I'll have to try to find a replacement.

The good news is that the clutch is not slipping anymore. Earlier today I thought that the clutch disc got a bunch of oil on it it, so i started to panic. I went on a 60 mile cruise just now with no problems. I guess I'll have to keep pulling the cover often and cleaning out the oil until I get a new seal.

I really shouldn't be dissing the happy time motors too much. My last motor held up for a while. I probably put a few thousand miles on it. The are actually decent motors for the price. I am frustrated at the whole bike, not just the motor. I been having alot of problems with my bike lately. Such as wheels bending all the time, cables breaking, you name it. A few months ago the pedal broke right off the crank. So when I saw all the oil in the clutch cover, I took it out on the motor by making this thread. Usually I am tinkering with something on the bike, not the motor itself.

Sorry, Happy Time, for calling you crappy time. You made me happy this evening on my 60 mile cruise :)

Back