I just had to talk someone OUT of buying my push trailer bike

M

macarollo

I am trying to sell my 196cc motorized trailer.

A 74 year old man just called me that was interseted in it. He said they just took away his driver's license and was looking for something like my motorized bike to get around.

I had to tell him that it was way to fast, the brakes were not good enough, and the tires were too skinny.... he said he has emphysema and cannot walk, but wants a moped or motorized bike to get around.

I just could stand the thought of supplying this old man with my motorized bike and he gets seriously hurt on it. He agreed that it was probably too fast for him.

Good for you. Responsible citizenship at its best.

Have you thought about using it to make an articulated "sidecar" cycle truck? With articulation at the joints where the sidecar support members come off the bike frame, it will allow you too lean the bike, give you much better control (no unregulated articulated single point hitch to jackknife around), and with that engine it would be a freightliner of a bike.

Is there any legal liability if one sells somebody a unsafe vehicle ?,like for instance these overpowered trailer contraptions. Assume that a person is seriously injured in it's operation and the vehicle in question does not conform to State requirements,I think one could be vulnerable .There are product liability laws but they apply to manufacturers with presumably deep pockets.I would recommend writing up a bill of sale stipulating that it is 'as is" and one does not accept any liability for any consequences pertaining to it's use and have the buyer sign it,that is not foolproof by any means,but better than nothing.

Is there any legal liability if one sells somebody a unsafe vehicle ?,like for instance these overpowered trailer contraptions. Assume that a person is seriously injured in it's operation and the vehicle in question does not conform to State requirements,I think one could be vulnerable .There are product liability laws but they apply to manufacturers with presumably deep pockets.I would recommend writing up a bill of sale stipulating that it is 'as is" and one does not accept any liability for any consequences pertaining to it's use and have the buyer sign it,that is not foolproof by any means,but better than nothing.

Have the buyer sign an agreement that they will take responsibility "as the manufacturer of the vehicle" for any liabilities legal issues that may arise.

Good call on not selling it to him. He sounds unsafe on a bicycle without an engine!

I will definately have someone sign a waiver if I sell it.

If riden responsibly I think it is safe, if someone were to speed 50mph over speed bumps/pot holes they are bound to get hurt.

The law is not 'reasonable'.Someone once prevailed in a law suit,when he caused an explosion using a spraycan in an unventilated place.The warning on it stated 'use only with open windows'!.The place had no windows.'Safe' is a relative and subjective term as is 'responsible'.Protect yourself !

Last edited by a moderator:
Back