I know it's not a bicycle but, it's my new toy

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rkbonds, Feb 7, 2010.

1. rkbonds

rkbonds Member

I just wanted to show everyone my latest toy for those longer need to get there faster rides. I traded some firearms I never use for this 1988 Yamaha FZ 750 it's been sitting a while but, shows great promise.

Attached Files:

2. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Two wheeled toys are great. You can have lots of them because they don't take up much room.

Your FZ looks like it needs a little work, but it does look well preserved for its age. Must've been stred indoors. Too many nice bikes going to waste by being stored outside.

I'm looking for a 82-83 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo. I love the looks of the fairings, so 80's!

3. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

One of my toys - 98 vintage Suzuki TL1000R.

It's heavy, outdated, and under powered (compared to the new stuff) but there's no other V-twin engine that revs as freely as a 4 cylinder - it just keeps me coming back for more.
    Has the usual mods - Yoshimura full race system + Power Commander + airbox mods + modified rear and front suspension + brake upgrade package.

Engine is good for 122 (genuine) rear wheel horsepower.

It still gives the new bikes a bit of hurry up, especially when i'm under pressure at fast flowing tracks like Phillip Island, and in a fighting kind of mood.

What i really want is a Ducati 1198R or Aprilia RSV4 Factory
    The above are just a bit pricey and not a whole lot faster than the new Big-bang Yamaha R1 with the usual mods.

Fabian

Attached Files:

4. bloodeagle

bloodeagle Banned

traded arms

i thought australia banned all guns besides single shot?
    check the tank for rust

I had the worst time in australia as a kid...
    i got hit in the face with a cricket bat, a goose attacked me and my legs got injured on a rollercoaster at Luna park! the coaster seat lifted and pinched the backs of my legs, black n blue and bleeding- nothing like 1200lbs in G forces smooshing tender flesh!
    my moms from Canberra

5. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Bonds- great looking bike. Looks like I may be getting my own Yammy project, a '79 XS400- was running when parked 10 years ago, stored inside, don't even know the color...but I'm not picky- it's free.

6. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

I always say: "If it's free, it's me!"

I friend of mine has a '81 Kawasaki KZ 550 Limited and a Yamaha '79 XS 400. The 400 has been sitting in a shed for 10+ years too. He offered it to me and I was going to take it, but I got a great deal on a '05 Kawasaki Ninja 500R that needed carb work. I put only 40 miles on the Ninja (400 miles total on the odo!) before old man winter came around. Looking forward to spring so I can complete the break-in on this 5 year old bike and rev the tar out of the engine. :devilish:

7. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

A Ninja 500 is a nice bike. I am a big fan of under 600cc machines....a lot of fun to be had for comparably little coin.

I am varying back and forth between going with a cafe' inspired style (many an xs400 has been done in this style) and kind of a retro British- Triumph inspired look....but I'll wait until I get it running to decide. Either way, I will not really bei doing anything radical, though but ideas require work on the seat.

8. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Until the 500, my largest bike was a Honda CB175. I was really looking for a 250cc cycle, but the deal on the Ninja was too hard to resist. I do have to get used to the 400+ lbs of weight, considering that my other MC is a ~170 lb trail cub! I am a fan of small motorcycles, they get great gas mileage and are just plain fun. My interest in the Seca Turbo is purely for the "Mad Max" look of the angular "aero" fairings and not so much the turbo motor. I really wish that the sub 500cc market was bigger here in the states. There are some very nice quarter litre bikes available overseas that look like a lot of fun.

Go with the classic cafe' racer look, it is back in style and you've got the mad skillz to pull it off Mr. Hough. Keep us updated!

9. rkbonds

rkbonds Member

Hough, that's a great deal I'm all about almost anything free. This bike was supposedly running when it was parked but, who knows. So far it's still not running I did get it to try once the other day but, other than that all it has done is backfire one time and that was today. So I quit and pushed it back in the shed and pulled the carbs off and rebuilt 1 still have 3 to go then I'll try it again. I'm trying to figure out a way to test the coils so that I know if they are working correctly or not. My goal with this bike is to get it running then I have a friend who has a bike a really want (86 Honda 450 Rebel dressed out) that said when I get it going we'll see about trading because he wants a bigger bike. That said summer is right around the corner so I really want to get it going soon.

10. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I'm a simple person. Rather than testing the coils separately, I would just test for spark- pull the plugs out and place them so that they rest on the head (maybe 2 at a time) and crank it over- spark? Then you are good to go. Only if you have no spark do you have to worry about going deeper.

I really like that earlier sportbike style. Looks fierce, but not like every other sportbike out there....around here at least, these bikes don't last 20 years, so a ride like that would be really unique.

11. rkbonds

rkbonds Member

It's the only one I've ever seen except for in pics. The only problem I see is it's going to be difficult to haul stuff on for work unlike a cruiser would be. I guess I'll just wait and see if it works out or not before I consider trading it. I have spark just seems like it's a weak spark. Maybe after the carb clean and some new plugs she'll fire up. But, I do have to agree most sportbikes now all look the same mine has definatly been ridden it has over 50,000 miles on it so someone enjoyed it a lot. I hope I get to as well.

12. rkbonds

rkbonds Member

Thought I'd update this. I rebuilt the carbs changed the plugs then gave each carb a shot of starter fluid and put some fresh gas in the tank and she fired up on the first try :) A few seconds of black smoke idled for a min the gave her some gas and she was purring like a kitten. Took her for a short ride and she was ready to scream but, I'm taking it easy and checking everything for a few short rides before any rides at speeds above 40 mph. I don't have a death wish.:cool:

13. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Glad you got it running!
    Have you found a source for the fairings? That'll probably be the toughest part.

14. rkbonds

rkbonds Member

Yes, I found a source but, I don't have the money to replace them right now. I can repair the lower fairings myself but I'm going to have to buy the upper with the windscreen it's too damaged to repair :(. The fun part is going to be the pearl white paint that's going to be $$$$$ the blue won't be too bad so it'll be a while before I get to that.

15. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

im trying to save some money for a bike.
    there getting cheap on craigslist.

bike1 is a 2004 500cc.for 1800
    bike2 is a cbr600 for 2500
    and3 is a katana for 1195

Attached Files:

16. Gh0stRider

Gh0stRider Banned

Door #2 looks sweeeeeeet!

17. Hawaii_Ed

Hawaii_Ed Member

Katana is a slug IMHO. Avoid it and go for the CBR :)

18. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

yeah but its the closest to my budget.and it would be the nicest bike ive owned.

19. rkbonds

rkbonds Member

What I ended up doing is riding the bike until I got the title back from the state. I thought I'd post it up on a motorcycle board for trade and just see what happened. I got offered a trade I felt I just couldn't refuse. What I ended up with is a 1985 Yamaha XJ 700 X MAXIM X with 22,ooo miles. I absolutely love this bike everything but the puny exhaust sound (new pipes will fix that though) :cool2: Also included in the deal was a 1986 Frazier front wheel with tire (16 inch compared to the factory 19 inch) new set of harley davidson shocks and a spare seat. Since the trade if the weather has been nice I've been riding. :whistling:

Attached Files:

20. retromike3

retromike3 Member

a lot of bike

Now I might be saying something a bit much but, That looks like a lot of bike. The thing I like about a motorbicycle is you are not competing with the traffic, sure you can get out there for a bit but for the most part your not in direct competition. With a bike like that you are and you will always lose. even a "big" bike weighs in at 800 pounds Vs. two or three tons.

The top speed on my "souped up" bike is about forty miles per hour. On a bike like that its probably more like 130. In cases like this Newtons laws are the main problem there is so much more energy being played with than with a motorbicycle and the end result gets wrapped in a nice green body bag. So if you plan to ride that big, fast, exciting kind of bike make sure you fill out a organ donor card because I might need those kidneys after you get though with them.

mike frye