I love my bike!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Simonator, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Simonator

Simonator Guest

I successfully installed a 70/80cc motor on my Gary Fisher mountain bike a few days ago. It is working great! I am now on my 4th tank of gas. This thing seems to be really coming to life now. I think the rings are starting to seat. I can't wait until I upgrade to a 36T sprocket, and mod the exhaust!

I LOVE THIS MESSAGE BOARD TOO!! This place is great! It has helped me ALOT!

WOO HOO!!! :grin:

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

glad to see you're so pumped !:lol:
    post some pics (start a thread in gallery) :cool:
    show off your ride to people who will appreciate your work !!! :lol:

3. Simonator

Simonator Guest

I will post pics as soon as I can!

4. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

well, you just totally cheered me up after a tough day elsewhere on the board...thanks :cool:

5. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Augie,
    Give yourself a break and don't second guess it! You were right!

6. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

have you ever read your horoscope and it directly addressed what was in your mind that very moment? spooky :shock:

well, doc, that's what happened to me just now with your post, whoa! thanks, man :D

simonator...i can't tell you how happy success stories like yours makes me...and i see you did it with a minimal number of posts, too, which really rocks my world. that isn't condescending in any way, it's a pat on the community's back for all the hard work you all put in to help each other, and to help the MBc staff keep the information usable :cool: :cool:

7. Jim H

Jim H Guest

Now yer havin' fun!!!

8. Simonator

Simonator Guest

I finally ran into a little problem. I was over 10 miles from home, and it started missing and backfiring. I was low in gas, and noticed there was a little bit of dirt in the fuel line. My cheapo engine kit didn't come with a fuel filter (except that little screen in the tank). So I whipped into a gas station. Then I pulled the fuel line off the engine, and drained some of the fuel out until it was coming out clean. I filled up my tank, then tried to start it. Nothing. It started then sputted to a stall right away. I tried several times with no improvement. I started peddling home. About a half mile down the road I tried it again. It started. WOO HOO! It was running like ****, but it was going. After a few miles it started running better. I made it home ok. THANK GOD! It got up to 90*F today. The last thing I felt like doing was peddling 10+ miles home.
    I raelly want to install a fuel filter. I lost my job, and don't have any extra money right now. Maybe I can borrow a few bucks from my mom :)

9. azbill

azbill Active Member

a fuel filter should be less than 5$ at any auto supply
    take a piece of fuel line just to make sure filter fits the line
    (the filter should have an arrow showing flow direction)

10. Simonator

Simonator Guest

Yeah....the problem is I don't even have a couple of bucks right now....

11. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

you're gonna have to clean that carby, too...look for debris in the bowl...make sure the inlet is clear & the needle seats correctly, and obviously you need to check the jet.

12. Simonator

Simonator Guest

Well I got ahold of some money today and picked up a little universal fuel filter. I'll check the carb next. The engine seems a little weak right now....maybe the carb is dirty....

13. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

ok, then, if you're not already familiar, have a look at the "happy time owner's manual" forum for good fuel & carburetor pics, tips, & specs...

14. Simonator

Simonator Guest

SH*T!! Everything was going so well. Then my rear motor mount studs just snapped off! GRRRR!!!

I wanted to go with some good stainless steel studs, but I couldn't find any in the area. Instead I used some standard bolt's. I plan on ordering some studs from thatsdax

15. Herrmanator8

Herrmanator8 Guest

actually, i prefer using 6mm hex-key bolts. i got some at my local hardware store and they work great. the old stud things 3 vibrated out of the motor and the 4th broke off...the bolts dont break and theyre easy to install. and you wouldnt have to order them:grin:

jon

16. Simonator

Simonator Guest

Well, after screwing with happy times the past year, I am getting good at making them reliable. i have been riding all over the place lately, with minimal problems. I been loving my bike! It sure is fun with the 40T sprocket. These engines aren't all that bad. I put on over 2,000 miles on my current engine, and its still running strong.

To all you guys that are frustrated with these kits. Give it some time. Don't give up right away. These things can be reliable. As long as you build it right, and keep it maintained.