I may change NY Law

Brandon

Local time
2:04 AM
I'm a locally elected official in NY. As you may know, NY has changed the laws regarding electric assist bicycles.
I have the ear of some state legislators that sponsored the "Electric Bicycle" initiative, and they are willing to listen to me as I make the case for gas assisted bicycles.
I am requesting this form for samples of other state laws that specifically reference motorized bicycles. Generic moped DMV law will NOT be helpful.

Please email me at Brandon.Nielsen@gmail.com
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Arizona Revised Statue http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/02516.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

NOT Perfect but NOT bad.

C. For the purposes of this section, "motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle" means a bicycle or tricycle that is equipped with a helper motor that has a maximum piston displacement of seventy cubic centimeters or less, that may also be self-propelled and that is operated at speeds of less than twenty-five miles per hour or forty kiliometers per hour.

My changes in red. Just a little faster would be good, generally the speed limit for a local residential street. Slightly larger engine displacement, because there are so many fat people that you need that much motor to go 25 or to pull a little trailer up to the grocery store. We have a separate law for mopeds, which require a license. The spandex crowd can zoom along at well over 30 mph. Note also defining the speed in metric, we will never change to metric unless our laws start citing it too.

One thing not covered in this part of the law is "who". I think you need to be 12, sorry all you 11 year olds, to operate a gas MAB mainly due to the mixing of fuel, vapor can be sniffed.

Emailed to Brandon as well

Last edited:
good luck Brandon -- NY laws should not be so up tight towards gas
at least that's what we hear here -- hard to ride legal there

Calif motorized bicycle laws may also be a very good guide line for you all for starters
motor bike friendly here -- in a state known for many laws !!

MM

Finally, One on our side Boy's. Just e-mailed him, will keep you posted.

We'll run him for Senate if we have too!

One thing not covered in this part of the law is "who". I think you need to be 12, sorry all you 11 year olds, to operate a gas MAB mainly due to the mixing of fuel, vapor can be sniffed.

Tell 'em to move to NY. They'll sell a 5yo gas here, if he's got money to pay the tax! That's how much sense our laws make!

Back