I Need !.65" and 1.75" Friction Rollers!

5-7HEAVEN

"The Dragon Lady" has two Mitsubishi TLE43cc engines with Staton friction drive and 1.5" rollers.

Top speed is over 40mph. Both engines are screaming way past redline limit.

At 40mph, engines are revving over 10,100rpm with 1.5" roller.

With 1.65" roller, rpms down to 9200rpm at 40mph.

With 1.75" roller, rpms decrease to 8700rpm at the same speed.

Torque will suffer at low speeds. It is not an issue because I have two engines.

I need oversize friction rollers to lower engine rpm. The 1.65" and 1.75" roller size would probably work well.

Anyone know where I can find rollers this size? Staton and BMP don't have them. I've emailed Dimension Edge and PM'd another member here.

Last edited by a moderator:
5-7,

can you find tubing and "sleeve" out your present rollers like we discussed before ?

1/8" wall 1.5" plumbing pipe would work to give you 1.75" and you could turn it down to 1/16" for the 1.65"

what about some form of hose stretched over and bonded to the rollers for more O.D. ?

what about the GP460's ? stick those bad boys on there. they will JUST be coming on full power at 11,000rpm.

steve

Steve, I have in front of me a 1.5" roller from BMP I purchased to serve as a base to sleeve to a larger diameter. I also bought some aluminum pipe, but haven't found the right size to sleeve the roller.

I'm researching www.fairlaneproducts.com They specialize in fixturing components for conveyor belts. That's where BMP got his 1.5" roller from, I believe.

Might just bite the bullet and have them fabbed at the machine shop.:mad:

My 460 project is on hold for now. Need to cure this over-revving and lean condition on my daily driver as soon as possible. Hawaii Ed and I are planning a 130-mile ride around the island. Oversize rollers will allow me to cruise at 35-40mph for extended periods of time.

what about standard 1.5" steel plumbing pipe ? hardware store.

it's 1.5" I.D. should be within a very light sanding of slipping right on the 1.5" roller, just lock down with a couple set screws.

steve

A few lifetimes ago, I managed a 1.2 million square foot distribution facility. We had twelve miles of conveyor running through the building and used to have trouble keeping the lagging on the head rollers. The head roller is the powered roller and lagging is a strip if rough belting wrapped around the roller and attached by screws. We solved that problem by having solid rubber lagging vulcanized directly to the roller. If you could have someone do this process on your 1.5" roller, you could come out with a 1.75" one.

When my drive roller wears-out i'm determined to try this.....gotta be a machine shop job though.
P1010012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Kerf, that's an EXCELLENT suggestion and a sensible one too.

The search is on.

Fetor, I'd appreciate your outrageous options sent to me.

Now you have me thinking about using a 6hp engine.:unsure:

Back