I need a wheel builder

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by azbill, Feb 6, 2007.

1. azbill

azbill Active Member

I am looking for some one who can lace (normal 36spoke) a schwinn stingray 20x4 rim to a regular free-wheeling hub for a trike I am trying to build
    this will need custom spoke lengths hopefully 12 or 14 gauge
    pics are parts I need built
    ...I actually need 2 of these (it's a trike !)

tried a local wheel guy and he freaked when the bike shop told him it was to be motorized like he thought it was gonna be a harley or something haha

any leads in the right direction would be appreciated

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bill

2. Blaze

Blaze Guest

If it's just freewheel you want, save yourself some time and money, and "un-brake" your hubs. You can disable the coaster brakes from inside the hub and convert them over to freewheel hubs. It might cost you about a dollar to do both wheels. All you need is a couple washers.

Here is a link to the web site that I learned this from: http://www.wtlw.net/ff/suntour/ . I actually tested this (using the exact instructions from that web site) and it works great. You won't need your brake arm anymore, either. It will work exactly like a freewheeling hub, only you won't have that clicking noise. It will just be perfectly silent when you coast.

3. azbill

azbill Active Member

more info

Its not just free-wheel I need
    The trike rims have 3 holes that the axle locks into (welded flange on axle)
    I need the smaller hubs so they fit axle but want to use the kick-a** rims and big tires for coolness factor and have already widened trike rear-end to fit wider schwinn frame (had to cut approx 1" out of each side and reweld back together)
    will post pics when I get chance
    Bill

4. Blaze

Blaze Guest

That makes sense. That's going to look really cool when you get done. I've never seen a trike with chopper tires on the back.

5. davidsis

davidsis Guest

Trike

Let me get this straight you are going to build an electric trike?

6. retro_racer

retro_racer Guest

Needs to know

AZ were did you get the hubs for your bike? I've been looking into building a 3 wheeler myself. Or better yet what are they fore?I noticed the rear section of your trike looks like a standard 3 wheeler.Is it?
    Thanks Rod

7. azbill

azbill Active Member

the trike and hub belong to azvinnie
    I was asking about them because he wasn't a member yet
    any other trike questions should go to him

8. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

dude if you get the time drive down here and i'll teach you how to lace .... just bring a 12 pack of diet pepsi and ice...

9. OldPete

OldPete Guest

Take him up on it. :smile:
    Learn to lace. I use a dial indicator and do wheels in the frame or fork. A long straight edge, like a length of aluminum channel is used for rear wheel off-set (dishing). A good thread cutting die along with the use of Rapid-Tap will permit you to use what spokes are at hand.

Must have book imho.
    The Art of Wheelbuilding by Gerd Schraner, ISBN # 0-9649835-3-2

EDIT: Those new to wheel building should not use aluminum nipples because they are not as durable to wrenching as brass nipples.

10. azbill

azbill Active Member

thanks for the offer and tips loco and pete :D :D :D
    that project is over, but , if I get the chance to go to quartzite, I will bring the dp :lol: :lol: :lol: