I need help with choosing a kit for touring

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by powerstroke, Jun 4, 2013.

1. powerstroke

powerstroke Member

Greetings all.

I am ready to embark on a new Adventure, and would like to do so on a motorized bike like what you ride. I will be travelling for at least two weeks, carrying a bicycle trailer with tent/sleeping gear and cooking supplies and the bike stocked up with bags carrying other items that I will need.

What motor/kit shall I use? I have been thinking about the Chinese 4 stroke 49cc kit, but replace the engine with a Honda GHX50 engine. But I am not entirely sure its that easy, as the chinese version may not be an exact replica of the honda, meaning the kit will not let it fit. Am I right?

Another Idea is take the front off of a small Honda ct110, weld a bicycle trailer hitch onto it, extent some cables and use it as a push trailer.

I will want to cruise fast along highways, and climb well in hilly areas. (40mph+ while pulling trailer)

So my main question is, can you guide me to the right decision with buying a reliable setup to hit the road. If you have an engine you would prefer to recommend, can you also point me to a kit in which I can install the engine? Or visa versa.

Yours trly,

Powerstroke

2. jbcruisin

jbcruisin Member

I'd use a Harbor freight engine & an EZ drive.

3. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

You have chosen the wrong type of transportation method by looking at your requirements.
    In no way at all should you be even attempting to do these kind of speeds on a motorized bicycle let alone with the extra weight of a bicycle trailer.

You should be looking at no more than 30 mph as a maximum top speed but preferably keeping 25 mph as a sensible maximum speed.

and

You should not even think of motorizing a bicycle unless it has front and rear disk brakes.

4. jbcruisin

jbcruisin Member

all my bikes have front drum & rear coaster brakes. 3 of them will do 50 mph. I've never had a problem stopping.

5. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

I would go with a four stroke kit for touring. No mixing gas and oil.

6. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

50 mph :ee2k:

With that comment alone, i cannot give any further advise, considering there are times when my motorized bicycle is working it's guts out just to push 8 mph, not to mention that my bike is fitted with front and rear disk brakes; running the largest (available) front disk rotor and mechanical brake system, which is barely up to the job when it comes to stopping the bike and trailer.

If you haven't had any problems making a panic stop with drum and coaster brakes then it seems like physics is different in your part of the world compared to my part of the world.

7. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

Just as long as the brakes are something better than those that use pads pressing against the rim. Well, maybe for the rear that is OK but the front needs something stronger.
    50cc is pretty weak in a 4 stroke but they are more reliable than the chinese 2 strokes. I would look for something around 100cc in a 4 stroke.

8. powerstroke

powerstroke Member

I can't find any engine of that capacity in Australia, for a bicycle. I lack DIY skills so is there a kit I can buy like that?

Also what do you think of the motorbike push trailer idea? Lets forget cops for a moment.

9. grinningremlin

grinningremlin Active Member

I'd look at a GEBE with a 40 to 47cc 2 stroke, or 50cc 4 stroke.I believe there is (used to be??) an equivalent company down under.It's light, simple, and reliable; you could buy the large and small gears for different terrain.It's a quick chore to swap out, and a good time for a stretch/walkaround.
    Push trailers look cool, but more complex from what I can see.It'd need it's own brakes, and I'd still be worried about a runaway.Weight is going to be your enemy and a push trailer is going to be heavy if the engine dies, though big HP would be nice.Good luck.

10. powerstroke

powerstroke Member

Hi grinningremlin,

Thanks for your input but the only problem I see with a 50cc engine is that when I'm pulling a small trailer full of stuff especially up hills, the poor engine will struggle at 5 mph and possibly overheat. The GEBE engines look good for riding around town but the only reason I would like an engine on my bike is speed, to cover more distance and climb hills not that I can't pedal or anything.

Cheers

11. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

It looks like you may be stuck with having to modify a 69cc (called 80cc) Grubee 2 stroke to get the reliability and power you want. Needed:
    lighter wrist pin for less vibration at low rpm
    Jaguar CDI for less vibration at high rpm
    more compression by sanding down the head
    better upper connecting rod bearing
    better carburetor jetted to perfection
    extended intake tract for more low rpm power
    very slight porting changes for better power and powerband
    crank seals from Rock Solid Engines

12. powerstroke

powerstroke Member

I don't know man, I don't think I could count on running a small 2 stroke engine all day for 2 weeks without anything going wrong or it overheating. Besides, anything near 50cc would probably be too slow, I will be riding for a long time on long straight roads in the flat country so I'd like to be cruising at 40mph or a little faster.

Perhaps the predator 99cc engines with Q-matic gears would be the go? I don't know how to set them up or where to get them but perhaps there is a seller out there who will ship to aus?

13. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

You are talking to someone who has a 55cc engine ported to run at 8300 rpm. I've taken it for extended test runs at wide open throttle till the temperature maxed out and nothing bad happened. That is far more heat and mechanical stress than yours would ever go thru. Your fears are unfounded.
    These engines only overheat with too much compression and with the stock CDI. The overheating and vibration are the main reliability issues. Of course they also diminish power so they need to be corrected for normal power to come out of these two strokes.

14. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

If moneys an issue buy a HS 4stroke kit but you'll need a lot of tweeking to get it right and reliable. If you can swing a Honda 50 do it, Honda 50 vs the HS is doing it right vs getting bye. Friction is good but chain drive is better..............good luck and watch the state laws.

15. powerstroke

powerstroke Member

Hi there,

If I bought the HS 4 stroke chain drive kit and put a honda gxh 50 in there would it fit or would I need to change the mounting platform or anything like that? Does the ghx 50 even have a gearbox?

16. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that for the same size engine a 4 stroke has half the horsepower of a 2 stroke.

17. powerstroke

powerstroke Member

Hey Jaguar,

Perhaps a 2 stroke would be the go for me. Am I looking at buying an A80 or an R80 for the best engine? Is there any more powerful, and do you think it would be wise to look at getting SBP's jackshaft kit?

18. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

Here in Ecuador they have just started to sell the 80cc and my only experience with them is measuring the port heights and calculating the resultant port durations to get an idea of its type of powerband. I don't know the difference between an A and R. I would recommend you make all the basic changes I suggested and then if you want even more capability then get the jackshaft kit.

19. LR Jerry

LR Jerry Well-Known Member

I personally use Staton Inc. Always had good service, no kit problems so far more than 4500 miles on it.

20. Racie35

Racie35 Member

You could look into the whizzer complete engine kits available on eBay alot... Probably one of the more powerful complete kits...should just need a cruiser bike to slap it all on and be done.... 2 strokes...step aside please