I need help with sponcership

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by locoWelder, May 22, 2007.

1. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

I dont know where to look for it but I and my son are going to ride around the USA on 2 custom built bikes next year and we need to get some sponcers for this .(we'er going to do it with or without it) but it will be nice to find a cause thats not beat into the ground already that people would donate to,

2. spunout

spunout Member

just an idea, loco...how 'bout the bike builders themselves? and/or the vendor of the motor kits? might be a good marketing strategy. you know, keep a good travel log, take lots of pictures, etc. contact local newspapers along your route to do a little story. then when its over the sponsers will have much to work with to show the durabilty/comfort, etc of their product.

3. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

plan well ahead of time and hop from member to member, i know people would be glad to help, maybe put you up, a little grub & whatever...& they could ride with you thru their area... 8)

what i mean by that is this: i live right on the official end of the lewis and clark trail, 4 hours SW of seattle...stop here & i'll stand ya to some beer & billiards on the pacific nw coast :D

4. spunout

spunout Member

awesome idea! heck yes. if you're ever in Tucson... 8)

5. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

Well frist thing is I and my son are building the bikes.
    My bike will be a recumbent trike with 2-20'wheels up front and a single 26' rear.
    My son's bike is a lwb (long wheel base) ez-tuor clone .
    both bikes will be powered by GEBE's 40cc kits

yes riding to promote a more "green" mode of transportation is great idea, something eles is my son wants to go to a collage to learn video game programming and we all know how much thats going to be, I'm sorry to say I'll never be able to pay for that, but we are building a web site to document the trip with travle logs,photo's,ad space and a sample of my son's games that he's made so far.
    We hope the web page is ready by 6-20-07, I'm still looking at hosting places thinking of yahoo @ 8.00 a month looks pretty good.

And yes I do plan on stopping at a lot of places like members hometowns from here like Phoenix ,Tucson- stop by spookie tooth maybe a stop by bama's then the GEBE shop and so on .....I got to go to town right now I'll come up with more later in this topic......Dave

6. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Yeah...what he said! My place is on the way north. you are more than welcome to stop for grub, tools and place to crash.

Dan

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I'll be ready when you hit the north east corner of Ahia. Food, shop, place to crash....hope you like dogs and loud stuff.

Call ahead in each metro area an have the local news channels fight over the "exclusive" news story.

Sponsors can be found anywhere someone wants to connect themselves to your story/adventure. All it takes is a lot of sponsors with a few bucks each to make a big pile of money.

8. OldPete

OldPete Guest

Super! Best of luck on this planned adventure.
    The recumbent gets to pull the trailer. :grin:

I have two retired friends that were writers for news papers here in SoCal and they would help you connect here in the LA area.

9. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

that sounds great! I need all the help I can get ,....by the way both bikes will pull trailers ,Darn! thats 9 tires

10. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

ok, now that it's come up in a relevant way...

when i first built my bike, i used some airfree tires. i still have 'em & i think they're excellent!!
    but low profile & wrong-fitting wheels keep these off the road. for now.
    [​IMG]

i think they'd be perfect for trailers, tho. check out www.kiktire.com
    [​IMG]

11. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

yes they will work fine for the trailers ,now for the bikes I'm looking at some tires that were posted here on the site that are made in Germany but i cant fine the post off hand.
    they were like 45.00 ea. and almost bullit proof

we are still working on the web page and looking at the 2nd week in march to start the trip.....oh by the way in map the mileage out and came up with 11,786 ......so to do this right we'll have to do an average 150 miles a day....Bamabikeguy makes that sound easy but I know in my heart it wont be.

12. OldPete

OldPete Guest

I am not trying to be funny. Consider what these folks have to say about eating right, the use of stimulants and maintaining pace. Some of these guys/gals have done 11k in 11 days. http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm

bamabikeguy doing 200 mile days is impressive, all the more so that he is being pushed by just 25cc.

You might get caught out at night or need to ride across a hot area after dark or just want to travel under the light of a full moon (that's so cool) or need to find "free camping" after sunset.
    I will probably do a M16 lighting set-up as discribed here on this coming first powered bike build. http://nordicgroup.us/s78/
    A deep cycle/quick rechargeable 9AH Panasonic battery that's << 6x3x4 can be had for < $30.

Google Tanaka saddle tank. It will hold 1.5L and cost $34. ;-)

13. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

as far as the need to have a larger fuel tank I'm going to use something like this
    [​IMG]

this way I can have about a 350 mile range.

and for lighting I'm putting together a 12v system that I can recharge with a small 2 cycle genorator that I have it weights 29lbs but it will charge batteries for the lights, cell phone, laptop, camera also run little tv and radio

14. Muckem

Muckem Guest

Hey loco, I know you drink sodas but do you drink coffee? Coffee is a big buisness, it was the second most consumed beverage worldwide last year behind tea. Most coffee companies also sell tea. If you contact a few of them they may be intersted, some may even give you a full ride......for some banner on your bike or similar. Its all a tax writeoff for them.

Mabeeeeee whatever soda you drink may sponser, Red Bull spends a ton on advertising.

Just a thought.....

15. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

16. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

I'll look into starbucks sence we'll be going thought Seatal thanks Muck,

AUGI THANKS THATS IT!!!!! :grin: