Sprockets I really don't know what happened

• Thread starter Clutch/sprockets
  • Start date
C

Clutch/sprockets

I parked my bike last night like i always do. Today i get on my bike and noticed i can ride the bike without having the clutch engaged. Then after looking at it i seen the drive sprocket is really loose. After tightening it up i jump back on the bike and it loosened up again. What could of happened while sitting overnight

little elves that do their work while you sleep... you arent a cobbler by any chance are you?

though sounds more like you have a couple of widgets that have grown up into gremlins... be careful you dont get a fifanella in their though or the darn things will breed like rabbits!

likely that the key is missing.

it should tighten the nut when driving, but will definitely loosen up when compression braking/ bump-starting... if the key is missing and the sprocket is spinning on the shaft, that is.

could be a deeper issue, like clutch shaft bearings have collapsed. pretty easy to replace those ones, if need be.

I'm always careful to tell folks that buy a kit to feed chain in from bottom so that they are not loosening that sprocket nut when getting it in. It came loose on you, then spit out the key is my guess. A new key should fix it, and all will be good again.

before you replace the woodruff key as crassius suggested. Check the slot and make sure its good. when the sprocket comes off they way you explained, it buggers the slot and it cannot be used again.
ive seen 2 in the last 6 months.

Back