I think I killed it!!!!

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by crabdance, Aug 25, 2008.

1. crabdance

crabdance Member

This morning I took my bike for a ride and after about a mile it just quit. No pop or bang or any noise, it just stopped working. I lost compression because I could push the bike after that with the clutch all the way out. Anyone have any ideas of what to do from here? I hope I haven't killed the whole thing.

I'm going to go out and look at it again and see if I can see anything else.

thanks for the help.

2. crabdance

crabdance Member

Glad that I got here before anyone else did. The master link on my chain broke and came off. don't know where it is. Have to get another one. Sorry to be so dumb folks... should have looked a little more before posting.

3. stude13

stude13 Active Member

hi cd; the master links open end should face to the rear when the chain comes off top of rear sprocket.

4. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Geez, crab man, quit scaring us- so many of us want you to have a great time with this that when you report these issues, we get scared for you!

5. crabdance

crabdance Member

Thanks stude13. I didn't know that... I'm learning all this stuff as I go along. And HoughMade, sorry to scare you man. I always think the worse. I just should think and look a little before I leap and post. You all have been so good to me and I really appreciate it. Really!!... I'll look more before I post the next time... promise..

crab

6. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

So you lost your entire chain? I'm glad you didn't get hurt. I had a chain master link pop off on me (it was my stupid fault) and the chain whipped around and cracked my engine block and almost took out my leg.

7. crabdance

crabdance Member

No, I still have the chain. Just don't have the master link anymore. Sounds like the master link coming off can be dangerous. I'm feeling pretty luck right now. Sorry you got hurt on yours. Guess we all need to check our chains every now and then too.

cd

8. jmccrury

jmccrury Member

Yeah, I keep an eye on my chains now, especially on the MB. I was riding my mountain bike a couple of months ago when the chain broke and came up and slapped me in the back. That was a little painful. Now I always check the master link before I ride.

9. crabdance

crabdance Member

Ouch! bet that hurt... I bet you do keep a good check on your chain. I'm going to have to do that myself. I just found a master link for $1.50 but the shipping was $8.50! Think I'm going to try to get that locally. The net is tearing me up with shipping cost. Does anyone know what size chain we have so we can ask for a master link to fit it?

thanks

10. Herrmanator8

Herrmanator8 Guest

hey. check any local hardware store. ask for a #415 size masterlink. thats the one. its probably like $3-5 not sure.

have a good one

Jon

11. crabdance

crabdance Member

Thanks Jon,

I've been wondering what size chain to be asking for. I really appreciate it! If I can get one for less than 5 dollars I'm going to try and get one today. Otherwise I will have to wait until more funds come in :).

Thanks so much for your help,
    cd

12. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

yes - most important with chain lenks
    seems there's no easy way to explain it - for me anyway

chain lenk - head - rounded solid part - front of travel direction

chain lenk - broken tails - split part - opposite travel direction

reason - if something makes contact with chain while moving
    will not knock it loose

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

13. crabdance

crabdance Member

Thanks Mountainman... I was lucky in the fact that I just put it on the way your just said. How's that for luck? Thanks for all your help and talk to you later!

cd

14. Bogaurd

Bogaurd Member

If you get a chain breaker, you can do away with a master/joining link altogether. It lets you take apart any segment of chain and put it back together again. I got mine from my local bike shop, and had to modify it slightly with a grinder to make room for the thick HT chain, but now I don't use any joiner links. Taking the chain off is just as quick, if not faster, and there's no risk of it popping apart, unless one of the chain links actually breaks :)