I took the leap into the world of MB's. See what I bought and tell me what you think.

shawnshank

Local time
9:47 AM
I just bought this bike, the perfomance pack and a couple of accessories. Tell me what you think.

Bike:
K2 Easy Street http://www.rei.com/product/761464
Specs:
Comfort > Easy Street Comfortable & convenient, with quicker handling & more efficient climbing than Big Easy models
Suspension fork absorbs bumps in the road, adding confidence and control
Parallelogram seat post gives the feeling of floating over potholes and cracks
21 speed SRAM shifting system makes riding up and down steep hills easier
> Detailed Specs FRAME - 6061 AL DREAM RIDE DESIGN
REAR SHOCK - N/A
FORK - COMFORT SUSPENSION, 50MM TRAVEL
FRONT DERAILLEUR - SHIMANO C050
REAR DERAILLEUR - SRAM 3.0
SHIFTERS - SRAM 3.0 TWIST, DUAL INDEX
FREE WHEEL CASSETTE - 7 SPEED FREEWHEEL, 13-34T
CRANKSET - SR SUNTOUR XCC WITH CHAIN GUARD
BOTTOM BRACKET - SEALED CARTRIDGE
CHAIN - KMC Z51
RIM - ALEX ALLOY
TIRES - KENDA KOMFORT, 26 X 2.125"
BRAKES - ALLOY LINEAR PULL
BRAKE LEVERS - ALLOY COMFORT WITH REACH ADJUST
HEADSET - 1 1/8" THREADED
STEM - ALUMINUM, HIGH-RISE QUILL
HANDLEBAR - DREAM RIDE DESIGN
GRIPS - COMFORT DESIGN, DUAL-DENSITY
SEAT CLAMP - ALLOY, WITH QR
SEAT POST - SR SUNTOUR PARALLELOGRAM SUSPENSION - Oh My God the best seat post ever!! Like riding on a cloud
SADDLE - K2 COMFORT, WITH COIL SPRINGS & DUAL MATERIAL COVER
PEDALS - COMFORT WITH NON-SLIP SURFACE
RINGS - 24/34/42
FRONT HUB - ALLOY, WITH QR
REAR HUB - ALLOY, WITH QR
SPOKES - 14 GA STAINLESS WITH BRASS NIPPLES

Tanaka 40 Perfomance Pack with Power Pipe, Velocity Stack and HP Carb
http://www.powerequipmentandparts.com/performance_packs.htm

22oz MSR Fuel Bottle
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://media.rei.com/media/695244Lrg.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.rei.com/pwr/product-reviews/Camping-Hiking/Containers-Bladders-and-Jugs/Fuel-Bottles/MSR/p/695244-MSR-Fuel-Bottle-22-oz.html&usg=__ORBOByRYpvZeNGoKYwkD6rWrIzQ=&h=440&w=440&sz=20&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=d4uatJ7SrK3eQM:&tbnh=127&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3D22oz%2Bmsr%2Bfuel%2Bbottle%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Topeak Modular (adjustable = sweet) Water bottle cage.
http://www.rei.com/product/686223

Total invested so far: $572
Remaining cost est: $700
Total investment est: $1,272 Ouch!

My next purchase will be the 40cc Tanaka drive ring system from GEBE.
http://bicycleengines.net/tanaka40info.htm

Attachments

• K2 Easy Street (XL).jpg
    K2 Easy Street (XL).jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 371
  • Tnaka Perfomace Pack.jpg
    Tnaka Perfomace Pack.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 353
  • MSR Fuel Bottle.jpg
    MSR Fuel Bottle.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 318
  • Topeak Modula Cage.jpg
    Topeak Modula Cage.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 331
not really a lot to say -- except -- job well done !!!
I was at REI a while back looking at their bicycles -- saw many I liked
you got some good THINGS going on there -- or coming in there
seems to be the way to go if one can afford it -- first class

let's see that MB THING once it's up and running

It looks to be a great bike, the only concern that I would have seeing as how you are doing a rack mount is that you will probably have to rotate the rack to the rear/back away from the seat to keep the seat from hitting the motor. The reasons for this interferance will be caused buy the laid back seat tube and the rearward motion of the suspension seat post. You will need some extra space between the seat and the motor. You might want to do some searches for how folks have solved this problem. Several members have mounted additional tabs to the rear seat stays to push the rack back a bit. (They can be either bolted or welded on) This solution also has the added benefit of keeping rear wheel removal simpler, as the rack is no longer depending upon the rear axle for support.

The other area you may want to consider is the purchase of the Heavy duty rear wheel that GEBE offers with 12g spokes. If there is a weak link with this kit it is that most bikes the people mount the kits on have inexpensive machine built wheels with inferior 14g spokes and they seem to develope spoke breakage problems very quickly. Save your self the headaches and start with the heavy-duty rim and spokes. I believe the GEBE folks will even mount the drive ring for you if the purchase is made at the same time as the engine kit. Also if you decide not to use the added mounting tab solution above the GEBE HD wheel has a hub with a nutted axle and this is what GEBE says is required for properly mounting their rack.

Also purchase a spare belt! The belt used is a propritary one and is reinforced with kevlar and are only sold by GEBE.

ocscully

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions.
I hadn't thought of the laid back seat tube being an issue but now that you mention it, I could see that being the case. I opted for the laid back style for comfort but I have access to a master welder (my father) so welding some additional tabs for the rack would not be an issue.
I also considered the heavy duty rim from GEBE so I may have to save a bit more cash to make that dream come true. This bike will be rock solid and expensive by the time I'm finished with it so I might have to call Geico and see if they'll insure it :)
As for the axle, I'm going to have pick one of those up because mine has quick release and I know that's not the safest option to go with.

SS

It looks to be a great bike, the only concern that I would have seeing as how you are doing a rack mount is that you will probably have to rotate the rack to the rear/back away from the seat to keep the seat from hitting the motor. The reasons for this interferance will be caused buy the laid back seat tube and the rearward motion of the suspension seat post. You will need some extra space between the seat and the motor. You might want to do some searches for how folks have solved this problem. Several members have mounted additional tabs to the rear seat stays to push the rack back a bit. (They can be either bolted or welded on) This solution also has the added benefit of keeping rear wheel removal simpler, as the rack is no longer depending upon the rear axle for support.

The other area you may want to consider is the purchase of the Heavy duty rear wheel that GEBE offers with 12g spokes. If there is a weak link with this kit it is that most bikes the people mount the kits on have inexpensive machine built wheels with inferior 14g spokes and they seem to develope spoke breakage problems very quickly. Save your self the headaches and start with the heavy-duty rim and spokes. I believe the GEBE folks will even mount the drive ring for you if the purchase is made at the same time as the engine kit. Also if you decide not to use the added mounting tab solution above the GEBE HD wheel has a hub with a nutted axle and this is what GEBE says is required for properly mounting their rack.

Also purchase a spare belt! The belt used is a propritary one and is reinforced with kevlar and are only sold by GEBE.

ocscully

It looks like a great bike and set-up. 309 bucks looks like a good price for that bike, too.

One thing that I would suggest is that your suspensioned seat post could encourage you to hit pot-holes a bit more aggressively than you might have without suspension. This could result in wheel damage. So I'd encourage you to use your arms and legs as shock absorbers just as you would with a rigid bike.

You're gonna be riding in real style. There's no doubt you'll have fun.

Good intro post, by the way. Plenty of info about your set-up. We can't get enough of that.

Thanks for the kind words. I took my time, did a lot of research and with a ton of help from many members here on MB.com I think it will be a good MB in the end.
I thought it was a good price for the bike as well. I've seen used bikes that weren't as nice for the same price or more. REI is a great store. I recommend it highly. With my membership I got $46.00 off the prices listed on their website so I ended up paying $300 for the bike, fuel bottle and the cage. I ordered the perfomance pack from Chainsaws etc and that was $272 with shipping.
Yeah I plan on avoiding all the potholes I can. I've ruined more rims than I care to remember so I always try to avoid them. It's the ones you don't see that scare me.

SS

It looks like a great bike and set-up. 309 bucks looks like a good price for that bike, too.

One thing that I would suggest is that your suspensioned seat post could encourage you to hit pot-holes a bit more aggressively than you might have without suspension. This could result in wheel damage. So I'd encourage you to use your arms and legs as shock absorbers just as you would with a rigid bike.

You're gonna be riding in real style. There's no doubt you'll have fun.

Good intro post, by the way. Plenty of info about your set-up. We can't get enough of that.

Don't forget the tires !!! I did
just installed a set of Serfas Drifter tires on my point beach and WOW !!!!
it's like a whole different bike !!!!!
I never reliezed what a difference tires would make .
Wish I would have done it sooner..
Yea Listen to the advice about the rear wheel !!!
I noticed yesterday while installing the new tires that i had a broken spoke, it broke where it threds into the wheel. Guess it's time for a Eagle wheel ....
My stock wheel lasted 600 miles !!!
You will Love the Tanaka it's a great engine " always ready to go "
Now go build that thing.... soo you can
Ride that thing !!!

I just checked out those tires online....very nice.
I'd love to buy some high end tires but I've got to chill on the spending for a bit. Everywhere I look there could be upgrades so I have to take'er slow and do a little at a time.
I'm still waiting to buy my engine and rear wheel. Got to wait a bit and pay off some bills. By the summer I plan on having it up and running then I'll start on the upgrades.
The last things I bought for my ride were.....

Planet Bike Blaze 1/2 Watt LED Headlight:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-ZGdo11RL._Planet%20Bike%20Blaze%201/2-Watt%20Blaze%20LED%20Bicycle%20Light%20with%20Helmet%20and%20QuickCam%20Mounts_.jpg

and....
Planet Bike BRT-1 Blinky 1 Rear 3-LED Light
http://www.jensonusa.com/product/ls/LS602A02.jpg

Don't forget the tires !!! I did
just installed a set of Serfas Drifter tires on my point beach and WOW !!!!
it's like a whole different bike !!!!!
I never reliezed what a difference tires would make .
Wish I would have done it sooner..
Yea Listen to the advice about the rear wheel !!!
I noticed yesterday while installing the new tires that i had a broken spoke, it broke where it threds into the wheel. Guess it's time for a Eagle wheel ....
My stock wheel lasted 600 miles !!!
You will Love the Tanaka it's a great engine " always ready to go "
Now go build that thing.... soo you can
Ride that thing !!!

Last edited:
I like that bike, it's a good choice and looks good too. I think the more upright position is ideal. After taking a 17 mile ride on my GEBE mountain bike the other day, I realize I want my handlebars higher and a bit closer.

Plus you get free service at REI with your bike for a year right? Gotta like that! ...Speaking of REI, I got rid of my lame Aspire credit card and got an REI Visa, it came with a 30.00 gift card and I just bought some Ergon grips today with it! You should check out their free basic bike maintenance class and they also have a comprehensive 5 hour class that costs like 75 bucks (members).

I would've gone for the heavy duty rear wheel before getting the performance kit though, but that's just me. There are some threads here that show you how to zip tie your spokes to reinforce them in the meantime.

Oh yeah, I got the 32 oz MSR bottle and I can fit that into my water bottle cage, I'm sure with your adjustable holder you could go with the bigger bottle too, especially since you'll have to mix your fuel ahead of time.

*Quick question for other members*

I'm curious, could there be any problems with throttle attachment having grip shifters on his bike?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh the riding position on this bike is so sweet. The seat is kind of set back over the seatpost so it gives a sort of cruiser feel (with front shocks) minus the single gear and caster brakes. The handlebars are also swept back a bit so as you said...you can sit up straight. I tried so many bikes in my search for the perfect ride and this one seemed like the most comfortable.
I agree...REI is awesome. Yes, when you buy a bike from them it comes with free service for a year and I do plan on taking the maintenance class in the spring some time.
I'm not planning putting my bike together until I have all of the parts purchased. I got the performance kit first because they only had a small amount left and I wanted to be sure I got one before they were sold out.
As for the heavy duty velocity rim, I'll buy that when I buy the engine kit because I don't want to damage the rim that came on my bike. It's a nice rim so i'll just hang onto it as a backup.

As for the twist shifter...that was the one thing I didn't like about this bike and you found it lol. I have them on the bike I have now and I never liked them. They switch on their own sometimes and it caused me to crash once on the bike I have now (sending me over the handlebars).
I prefer the thumb / trigger finger shifter style they had on the K2 Easy Street Duece I was going to buy but it had disc brakes and the caliper would interfere with the GEBE rack so I had to compromise.

I like that bike, it's a good choice and looks good too. I think the more upright position is ideal. After taking a 17 mile ride on my GEBE mountain bike the other day, I realize I want my handlebars higher and a bit closer.

Plus you get free service at REI with your bike for a year right? Gotta like that! ...Speaking of REI, I got rid of my lame Aspire credit card and got an REI Visa, it came with a 30.00 gift card and I just bought some Ergon grips today with it! You should check out their free basic bike maintenance class and they also have a comprehensive 5 hour class that costs like 75 bucks (members).

I would've gone for the heavy duty rear wheel before getting the performance kit though, but that's just me. There are some threads here that show you how to zip tie your spokes to reinforce them in the meantime.

Oh yeah, I got the 32 oz MSR bottle and I can fit that into my water bottle cage, I'm sure with your adjustable holder you could go with the bigger bottle too, especially since you'll have to mix your fuel ahead of time.

*Quick question for other members*

I'm curious, could there be any problems with throttle attachment having grip shifters on his bike?

Last edited:
Back