I was called "uncool"

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by twinkiex, Sep 26, 2007.

1. twinkiex

twinkiex Guest

I got a flat tire yesterday. Got the tire off today, it came off much easier than I thought. 2 bolts and disengaged the brakes. Not much differant than other bikes except for the 2 chains. Took the tire to the bike shop I always go to and the very young service guys said mbs are not cool! Then they asked why I would get a mb. I replied I can go much further, its a primary means of transportation, bad back, I am not as young as him, uses less gas than a car, all the good reasons and they said once again and I quote "motor bikes are not cool". Lame. Why would anyone want one.
    Why would they feel this way? I told them it uses so little gas and I said my favorite bike is still my Outlook, but I just cant peddle 10 miles anymore. :p
    This bike sure does bring attention to me, and this was the first negative comment.
    Maybe they were jelious! Ha.

2. spunout

spunout Member

yes, it was out of jealousy.
    besides, negative comments DON'T come often with these.
    no biggie, they just slide right off.

trust me, if you ride a motoredbike...you're cool.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  3. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

yaknow something?

motoredbikes are :cool:cool:cool:

they got it wrong & it's their loss ;)

...so what's the big deal? :D
  4. azbill

azbill Active Member

my local bike shop has 2 partners...
    1 loves mabs, the other seems to hate 'em
    I agree with #1 !!! :lol:
  5. Tom

Tom Active Member

lol, i hate it when people hate on you for having a bike... doesn't make any sense to me, probably since I look at motorized bikes from a logical standpoint and not a "trendy hip too cool for you" standpoint...
  6. twinkiex

twinkiex Guest

bah. i do understand bicylce purists. its their religion and to put a motor on a bike seems sacreligious..
  7. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

my neighbor and apt. manager is a bicycle purist in the true sense...she rides a specialized road bike 20 miles roundtrip to work, and takes part in all the local & regional rides and events...

she thinks that what i've done with my bicycle is amazing...she knows squat about what i'm up to mechanically, but she absolutely loves seeing another bicyclist so engrossed in something that brings him so much comfort & keeps him so active. (well, it does keep me active)
  8. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I had a "purist" say that it was a waste to put a motor on a bike. I pointed out the mpg. He said he could ride 20 miles on a bowl of Wheaties. I pointed out that I could ride 20 miles and still have the energy to work to earn enough money to buy a s***load of Wheaties. I don't know if I made a convert, but that was the end of the conversation.
  9. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

A lot of bikeshop guys (purists) are not cool! :lol:

Hang in there....if you are happy, then that's all that matters.:D
  10. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

In fact, 17 out of 21 are out and out jerks. Auburn AL, Denver, CO and El Dorado, ARK and my guy in Decatur pass muster.

I've scientifically calculated & tested this ratio.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  11. larymor

larymor Guest

jerks abound

Don't let it bother you. If you can....do business elsewhere. Also call the owner and let him know how his employees treated you.
  12. alesterfeind

alesterfeind Guest

I am not uncool!

Here in Flower Mound, bicycling is king. Everyone here has money and very expensive bikes and gear. On the weekends, there ride in packs of 10-20 cyclists. Then, here comes Johnny on his crappy old Diamondback that has a motor attached. Everyone is checking it out. Whenever I am stopped at an intersection, the other cyclists tell me how cool and unusual the bike is. I even had one guy drafting behind me, and we both got a kick out of it.

I think the bike shop guy's comments are more due to worry about competition. They don't sell motorized bikes, and they can see the appeal and don't want to deal with customers asking about them. When I first got my bike, I rode up to the bike shop to get some parts. Every kid in the shop ran to the window to check out my bike outside. One kid screamed, "Dad, I want one of those. It's so cool!"
  13. az cra-z

az cra-z Guest

What shop is that, Twink? (I'll avoid 'em!)
  14. Jim H

Jim H Guest

My bike shop guy thinks my bike is great and he loves selling me parts. I've told him about mbc and he may check it out... on another note, my brother who is a missionary in czech republic, vacationed in germany by bicycle. He and his wife cycled a week along the Danube. He said he was thinking of me every time he saw a bicyclist w/ a motor on their bike...I asked how many he saw and he replied, "...enough that I think I may want one!" That's pretty cool...
  15. LOL, I couldnt care less if someone else likes/dislikes my MB, I love it and enjoy riding it.
    I see myself with several more in the coming years.
  16. dbigkahunna

dbigkahunna Guest

Lets see. Me 50, Husky, Bald and I get to make my granddaughter squeel when she hitches a ride with PAPA. I head to town and harley bikers look my ride over and they comment on how fun it must be. A Texas DPS trooper pulls me over just to look at my ride. I come out of a store and there is always 2-3 people looking it over. Always asking how much it cost, how is the gas mileage and how fast it will go. Ask the punk at the bike shop how many people ever commented or stopped them to comment on THEIR ride?
  17. twinkiex

twinkiex Guest

ah let me clarify the boys were saying it all in jest with smiles. they didnt hurt my feelings they surprised me, when boys half my age tell me I am uncool thats when I know I am the very epitomy of cool. LOL
  18. I pulled up on my bike at this local bike shop that had bikes similar to iRide's winning September bike. I locked it up then proceeded in checking out the 3 inch tires and the quality build,the 3 speed hubs and the solid fenders. Definetly worth the 3 to 5 hundred dollar asking price. But then the owner didn't like that I parked my bike outside his store cause all these people were checking it out before they went in to the store.
    When one guy with his son asked me about my bike,I told him if you stick that engine on any one of these bikes you'll have a sick bike,man.
    Then the owner stepped in and mentioned that an engine would just ruin the build quality or something to that affect.
    Yea. You'll have bicycle people powered people then you'll have motored bike people.
    Bike shops definetly dislike this trend...if you call it a trend.
    Any one of those fools would kill for a replica 1903 Harley.
    I would like to see ANYONE say that bike is not cool. It's essentially what we are riding.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2007
  19. Another thing. My son is 19 and my daughter is 16. Never have I owned anything that BOTH my kids think it's the coolest thing I've ever built. All of their friends think their dad is cool. My wife's uncles checked it out and these are straight gear heads that's turned hot rods left and right and they are just straight fasinated by it. There's this hang out spot called Jim's Burger Haven where all the car nuts go and I generated a crowd with this bike.
    The local high school is down the street from my house.
    Driving by around the time school lets out is simply priceless.
    I thought that maybe my next project when money comes around again would be a shwinn chopper bike but that's already been done.
    One thing that I haven't seen yet is a low rider bike with the crazy pull forward ape hangers,that steering wheel,that spare wheel in back and the twisted forks and frame with the 144 spoke rims.
    I would LOVE to happy time something like that.
    Homey,that would cause a major stir. Imagine cruising around in that at a low rider car show.
  20. twinkiex

twinkiex Guest

LOVE the vintage Harley! Wow I didnt know our bikes were replicas of the first motercycles ever! Wow