I was involved in a hit and run today...

I'm not sure I have the words...

So I'll just say that I'm glad you were wearing your helmet and weren't hurt. I think the guys said the rest.

Please be careful!

Ditto with what EVERYBODY else said.
The car probably never even felt you hit. They have no blame in creating this situation at all.
If you had been killed or seriously injured it would have been all the more reason to ban motored bicycles.

Dude, seriously, forget the cameras, put your money and your effort into learning and acting responsible.
A front brake is crucial in a vehicle that does over 20mph.
Get out and practice your driving and stopping skills where no one will get hurt.

The situation was totally your creation and fault.
What right do you have to inflict a dead kid on an unsuspecting motorist?
Nobody needs that.

Steve

<SNIP> I rear ended the back of a car on my motorized bicycle. My brake cable slipped loose and I ran straight into their rear bumper stopping my bike and I hit my helmet on the trunk. My gas line got yanked out spilling 2 stroke gas+Oil all over the road. <SNIP> So any advice?

Look closely at how I wired the fuel line in this pict:
full

Double wrap of mild steel mechanic's wire with a twist, then clip it off.
Ideally I should have folded it over too, to prevent a scratch and cut hazard.

The dirty dusty carb shows how important a good air filter is.

Steve

Look closely at how I wired the fuel line in this pict:
full

Double wrap of mild steel mechanic's wire with a twist, then clip it off.
Ideally I should have folded it over too, to prevent a scratch and cut hazard.

The dirty dusty carb shows how important a good air filter is.

Steve
I do wonder of that material in the bottle. It makes me laugh as it reminds me of a tennis ball. My sister clean broke her carb filter off the rubber mount ring, I glued a piece of a shirt over the opening on the rubber, it works nicely and is polyester, won't rot, just make sure to tumble dry on low and don't forget the dryer sheet.

A drinking bottle air intake. Amazing

Were you looking for something more elegant? :)
Simple and cheap. Experiment with different shapes to tune where the power happens.

I do wonder of that material in the bottle. <SNIP>

Open cell foam, cut it oversize and squeeze it in. Little restriction and excellent filtering.

Get a set of hose clamps or something like this for your fuel lines, don't be a hack zipperhead.

61FivZ2M8yL._SL1139_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-02-04...rd_wg=sfLdm&psc=1&refRID=NW1CABETH63APSEXC18Y
Mechanics wire is more economical especially when you already have a few hundred yards of it in your shed in any gauge you need. It's also multispecialest. I can hang pictures and mirrors, tie up a muffler in a jif, cut an old fan belt without a knife, adjust spoke tension without a wrench after breaking a spoke, keep my pants up, jimmy up a boot after I burned my laces off with a welder then rebundle my welding rods, put the light back on the truck that the tree broke off, tie down a pesky car battery that wants to jostle out of place, splint a finger, splint a leg, build an emergency enclosure and ride out a bad storm, tie a cabinet shut to keep it from opening when I move or tilt it, fix a chicken fence and build a noose to catch the f***ing fox that's after my chickens, use it to stretch said foxes hide over a board for tanning, keep emergency flare kits from busting open in the trunk, carefully stitch a pair of pants up, etc etc etc..

Your hose clamps have 2 maybe 3 different good uses, then they are pretty much scrap metal after that. You could string them up and make an annoying windchime maybe. Just use mechanics wire to keep it from falling down during bad weather.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
You got off very lucky. Could have been the driver or someone in the car was wanted for something, there could have been something illegal in the car, any number of things. When you hit a vehicle from behind, it is ALWAYS your fault. In my state a motorized bicycle does not require insurance. But that does not absolve you from any damage you may cause. The owner of the car could have called the cops, made out a report, you would have received a ticket, then they could sue you, or if you are under 18, your parents, for damages. With today's plastic cars, even a minor hit could require replacement of the bumper cover, at an average cost of $2000. And you would likely be required to pay it.

I would not ride that bike again until it is safe, whatever that takes. A rear brake is practically worthless. Never ride without a front brake, and make sure it is a GOOD front brake, and properly installed. One reason I only use bike shop bikes with name brands, like Trek and Specialized. You can find used ones on Craigslist, and they come with high quality brakes. A motor puts a lot more stress on a bike than it was designed for. So since you are pushing it already, don't cut any corners.

It does sound like you need more riding skill. Would you have hit the car had you been riding a regular pedal bike? If you think so, then you need some serious rider training. You should be an excellent bicycle rider before even thinking about putting a motor on your bike. I am also a motorcycle rider (street and dirt) and have been riding on the street for 40 years. I have ridden everything from 50cc mopeds to 1000cc sport bikes, to 1500cc cruisers and Goldwings. In over half a million miles, I have never had an accident on the street. I didn't take tha mSF course till 10 years after I started riding, because it wasn't available. Go get some training before you get yourself killed, or wind up in SERIOUS legal trouble.

I was involved in a hit and run today. I rear ended the back of a car on my motorized bicycle. My brake cable slipped loose and I ran straight into their rear bumper stopping my bike and I hit my helmet on the trunk. My gas line got yanked out spilling 2 stroke gas+Oil all over the road. I didn't hit hard enough to blackout. This was at a stop light, down a hill. Immediately after I hit them they ran the red light. Nobody stopped to see if I was hurt. I admit it was my fault I hit them. I was ready to exchange information but the ran from the accident. In legal terms thats called a hit and run. I don't remember what brand of car or the license plate. All I remember about the car was that it was a black civic looking car. This is a reminder to everyone even the pro's never let your guard down, people don't give a sh*t about u. Drive Defensivly. Unfortunately I didn't have a recording camera to catch it. So any advice?
mentioned it earlier without details but the bike you have kent thruster 700c comes with tires with a very low tpi with means when you hit the brakes alot of rubber will come off popping the tire very dangerous at higher speeds to pop a tire watchout

Back