I would Like to Build a powerful quality vintage looking motor bike

doublesaran

Local time
12:40 AM
Hello, After alot of thought as to what I need and want out of a motor bike, I think I have a good idea of what I need and want, and what I don't. I really could use any advice as to my thoughts. I truly love the Felt 1903 model bike, and I know Ridley company builds them with 70cc motors, however priced at over 2500 dollars, they are out of my budget. I am a 200 lb 6 foot tall guy who wants to use this motor bike on a regular basis. I do have , at least for the time being some decent hills to contend with. I am a bit of a rebel and would like to put a 70cc or even 80 cc motor on this felt bike. First off, I am not a mechanic. I have basic knowledge, but I don't own the tools or have the experience to start moding things to any great extent. I would like to buy the best 60cc+ bike engine made and fit it to the felt 1903. Based on what I have said, should I build this beauty myself, or bite the big expensive bullet and buy one from ridley? I am so very grateful for this forum and I look forward to any and all suggestions.

thank you:confused:

Hi DS and welcome to the forum.

Thank you for listing your qualifications as well as your desires in your post. Based upon what you have told us my recommendation would be that you go with a rack mount setup for your first bike. If you have hills to contend with the Staton kit with the Nuvinci hub would be the way to go.

If you have limited mechanical experience and tools the Chinese 2 stroke engines are a poor choice. Also the Ridley bike (while attractive) has poor brakes and only 1 speed so it isn't a good choice for big hills. It will probably handle small hills just fine however.

It should also be mentioned that there are no true 80cc Chinese 2 stroke engines. The largest anyone makes is actually 69cc even though they are marketed as 80cc.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I know you don't want to hear this, but for most of us, the first motorbike that you build shouldn't be your dream bike.
Get the engine kit that you want for the 1903 and first install it on a steel cruiser or mountain bike. Learn the ropes and make your (inevitable) mistakes on a simple bike.
After a bit, you can transfer the motor kit (already broken in and squared away) to the 1903. Because you have already learned the engine tinkering part, you are less likely to damage that nice felt frame during the installation and you can concentrate on making it look cool and unique.
Just my opinion.

For what you are trying to do, there is only one kit you should consider:

http://www.ezmotorbikesales.com/

Do not put a 2 stroke motor on a Felt. They will work and are fun but do not last long and the quality is not great. If you go with a 4 stroke it will be more reliable. The only reliable frame mount gearbox that I know of is the EZ. I do not have one but I have a rack mount Titan which has a similar motor. If you are going to build a classic, put a 4 stroke on it.

Some good advice from both Wheelbender and Syl4rk although I disagree about the Chinese engines not lasting. I have thousands of km on 2 of mine and they are still going strong. My own Felt bike gives me no difficulties. I just get on and ride. Getting it this way was a lot of work and I had to modify or fabricate many things.

The EZ kit is an excellent kit. Although the 4 stroke motors are not as attractive as the 2 strokes they are much more reliable right out of the box. If you have no capacity for fabrication however I think you will have problems with the Felt.

If you combine Wheelbenders advice with Syl4rks and try to find a bike that the EZ kit will bolt onto without modification you will probably have a decent compromise. Better yet if you buy a prebuilt one from an EZ dealer.

Last edited:
I'm building a vintage style bike myself. I am 16, and this is also my first build. But I do have experience in blacksmithing and welding, but I am building mine out of scrap metal, an old bike and a 3.5 hp motor. Fell free to check out mine, it looks vintage and resembles the Felt 1903. And if you have any questions on how I built mine, feel free to ask.

I agree the EZ unit is the way to go. Its a 4 stroke but so much more dependable. Put a HF 99cc with it and you will be good to go.

Here are my guidelines for building:

1) Predominant riding terrain.
2) Primary rider's physique.
3) Lookup and read local legal requirements.
4) Type of bike.
5) Budget.

Stay within these guidelines and you'll have a bike you can enjoy riding. Good luck with your build.

Back