Ia s torque converter an "automatic transmission" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorLord

Local time
7:04 AM
I am building a Schwinn Meridian Trike with a Staton gear set and a Honda 1.6 HP engine. Knowing what I know now ( That I could have gone as high as 4 HP) my thinking is that I will build this Trike and sell it quickly, and then start over again with a 4 horse engine. My question is, does California consider a torque converter ( Variable ratio automatic drive train) to be an "automatic transmission" and therefore permissible? Don't factory Mopeds ( I have not seen a Factory-made MOPED in quite some time) have torque converters?

Allen

I am building a Schwinn Meridian Trike with a Staton gear set and a Honda 1.6 HP engine. Knowing what I know now ( That I could have gone as high as 4 HP) my thinking is that I will build this Trike and sell it quickly, and then start over again with a 4 horse engine. My question is, does California consider a torque converter ( Variable ratio automatic drive train) to be an "automatic transmission" and therefore permissible? Don't factory Mopeds ( I have not seen a Factory-made MOPED in quite some time) have torque converters?

Allen
A Honda 1.6 HP engine is too underpowered to overcome the losses in a torque converter.
What torque converter were you planning on using?

The issue of "automatic transmission" in CA is a non issue as cops on the street if they
even know the CA mb laws do not care what kind of gearbox you use on a single speed engine.
but a torque converterwould definitely comply with the rules.

A Honda 1.6 HP engine is too underpowered to overcome the losses in a torque converter.
What torque converter were you planning on using?

The issue of "automatic transmission" in CA is a non issue as cops on the street if they
even know the CA mb laws do not care what kind of gearbox you use on a single speed engine.
but a torque converterwould definitely comply with the rules.

I think my post may have been unclear. I will sell the current trike with the tiny engine, and start again with a 4 HP engine on a new build. The torque converter would be for the 4HP engine, and I don't have a specific torque converter in mind. I would really like to have enough BPH to run a generator or alternator for the electrics, and also an electric start. Mostly, I wanted to make sure that torque converters have not been specifically outlawed.

Allen

I run an autoshift on my bike. I've read the laws in many states. Many say automatic transmission. The original intent of this clause was to limit the speed of the vehicle.

Some states go as far as to say no manual clutching, no manual shifting of engine driven gears and no external shifting devices for shifting engine driven gears. The no external shifting devices clause came out as a result of simi automatic drive systems. For now there are no laws in the USA states which say the bike can't shift gears completely and fully automatically.

So to technically be legal it can't be a simi automatic drive system in many places. As others have told if you obey all traffic laws the cops aren't going to bother you.

My question is, does California consider a torque converter ( Variable ratio automatic drive train) to be an "automatic transmission" and therefore permissible? Don't factory Mopeds ( I have not seen a Factory-made MOPED in quite some time) have torque converters?

Allen
The answer to your question is yes and yes.

Allen
If you can’t shift it into another gear than it’s an automatic because it’s automatically in one gear

If you can’t shift it into another gear than it’s an automatic because it’s automatically in one gear
That's not what is ment by automatic transmission system in legal statutes. In legal statutes it means the operator doesn't engage the transmission system manually. The transmission system engages automatically. Some states in the USA legal statutes even go as far as to say no manual clutching.

When these laws were written over 70 years ago. The law makers weren't mechanics/engineers etc. They wanted to limit the speed of moped like vehicles. Therefore engine size, single drive ratios/cvt, and centrifugal clutches were then required on mopeds. It was the belief if a manual clutch was used gears could be added making the vehicle faster. Many of our laws are outdated and aren't practical for today.

With a certain amount of set horse power, it's only going to move a certain amount of weight at a certain maximum speed over level ground with no wind present. If horse power isn't increased or weight reduced, then the only way to increase speed on level ground is decreasing energy loss in the vehicle, better traction, and aerodynamics.

I have a shifter bike, once I reach max hp rpm shifting to a higher gear won't make me go any faster. In fact the increased load will usually slow you down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back