Idea?

DIYMark

Local time
3:37 AM
I was working away in the shed on my HT (recent mods are porting, re turn combustion chamber to increase compression and give a squish band plus polish the head) and I had an idea just come to mind.

For all those who want to have some form of generator for powering lighting etc, wouldn't it be good to have a dynamo powered from the chain tensioner roller? Kinda like 2 birds with one stone eh?!

Its just an idea but what does everyone else think.

It's not a bad idea. (once the spoke thing is taken care of)

You'd have a good, powerfull source of electricity.

I'm not all that interested in generating since batteries work pretty well. And so I haven't payed close attention to the threads that discuss it. But I have gotten the impression that the varying speeds involved makes generating and possibly storing (battery) power more complicated than we might hope.

In fact, that's the reason that I don't pay much attention

It's totally possible, if suitable systems can be used on mopeds (some without a battery at all) with the same displacement engines and heavier frames I don't see why somebody couldn't get a generator system working on an MB. I think the only reason we haven't seen a system like this is simple... Battery systems work so well for the speed and distances most MBers travel so they never go the extra step to simply add a generator of some sort and some electronics to stop the possibility of overcharge.
Some promising news is that many high quality lithium packs come with overcharge and overdischarge PCB circuits built in so you'd never have to worry about cooking or draining the battery to death. This is the angle I'm working from. SLA's are cheap and easily available but their form factor, energy density and weight keep them from being anywhere near the best power source for the MB world.

Yeah I guess its kind of over kill when a good old SLA will do the job perfectly - just a thought any way.

But even if this particular thought or idea isn't practical, the thinking is what counts.

That's how breakthroughs happen.

So keep those thoughts coming. And I'll do the same if I ever have an idea that's worth anything. :)

Back