Chain Tensioner idler wheel

Yes I am I thought it would be a easy fix just put in a roller blade wheel were the old one was. Didnt know I should also replace the bracket as well.What do you recomend to replace that thing? How can I make this roller blade wheel set up work? Have you done the roller wheel thing yet?

Yeah i can see the pics would i have to use a thousand washer to get it out that far?Is that really a good place for the idler wheel. Do you have this setup on your bike?

"IF",,, you replaced the original tensioner with the wheel did it turn freeley with no contact with the chain?? If it won't turn freely with no contact, then it probably won't turn with the chain contact either! Use your old bracket and install the new wheel, but make sure it will turn! Even if you do a mock install without the chain on it to test it. The photo's here are for the general idea and concept,, in this case it was a demo of a top tensioner to be used more for chain creep when you decelerate. Hope this helps.

Papa

Now with that all said and done,,,,,,, you might be tightening the whole unit to tight and it locks the wheel up?? like chopper mentioned you might need a lock nut to set the wheel so it will turn even after you put it on your bracket. Hope this helps.

Papa

Has anyone put the roller blade wheel on the bottom for the tension. If you have done this let me know how. I cant seem to figure out a way to keep it tight and get the wheel to spin with the chain. The nut has nothing to do with this I went and got a lock nut its the same as with a regular nut. That pic yeah looks all simple cause its on the top which is really not doing anything but hanging on there.proably just keeps the chain from bouncing. Anyone have any other ideas?

I am going to assume,,, that the wheel you are trying to use is equipped with bearings. Next, You will have to make contact with the races of the bearing and NOT the wheel when tightening the bolt. This may mean you will have to use small tubing or small washers on both sides of the bearing making sure they do not touch the wheel. Then use what ever you need to, to get the wheel in the right position to make contact with the chain. The bearings have to "races",,, one is next to the wheel and the other will ride on the shaft ( bolt or stud ) that you use for an axle. You only want to make contact with the race that is next to the shaft,,, not in the middle of the bearing or the race that is in contact with the wheel. Once you do this then you can tighten a nut to secure the bolt,washer,wheel,washer,then the nut. This is before you add washers or tubing or whatever to get the length needed to reach the bracket, (maybe all you will need is the nut), and then a nut on the outside to tighten the unit in place. It sounds like to me that you are just putting washers next to the wheel and cranking them tight, this only locks the wheel up. Hope this helps,,,

Papa

Thanks I just went out and put a piece of tube that i had left over from my fuel tube. I put a little piece on both ends. It worked but as soon as I dropped the clutch to start it got loose and fell down. I went and tried and tried again tightening it over and over. Same thing it just falls down cant get it tight enuff to hold it in place. I put some washers around and got it really tight then the washers dug into the tube. I have had it with this roller wheel mod. I am just going to order one to save my self the hassle of trying to rig this wheel up so that it is reliable. Thanks for all the help. Have you done this yourself nobody has answered that yet?

I have two wheels on order and waiting for them, then I will be able to say,,,, I did it on mine. The tubing I was refering to was meant to be steel tubing, not hose or fuel line. You need something that will take the tightening of the nut and not collapse. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Papa

O I didnt know what kind of tubing you meant. :???: Oh well thanks again anyways I might have to try that one. Then if that dont work then i am done with it.Thanks

Back