if a clutch cable breaks what happens?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by twinkiex, Feb 12, 2008.

1. twinkiex

twinkiex Guest

What happens if you are riding along 20mph and it snaps? Does the bike stop suddenly?

2. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

wouldnt you keep going?

3. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

You wouldn't be able to disengage the engine from the wheel. You'd basically want to ride slow and try not to stop until you got home (if possible) because you'd kill the engine as soon as you started going too slow. Getting home on pedal power would be impossible and it would be pretty tough to bumpstart again.

4. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

all depends on the bike, with my schwinn, its 1 gear, cant stand on the pedal to kickstart it, but with my murray, i just leave it in 1st that way i just lift up the back wheel and kick (sorta) the pedal, and if you floored it you might not kill it but i doubt it...

5. mickey

mickey Guest

Yep, no disengagement if the cable breaks. This hasn't happened to me yet but my plan is to just kill the motor and stop. Then pull the broken clutch cable out of the housing and use it like bailing wire to lash the clutch lever in the disengaged position and pedal home.

6. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

I've done the same thing to kickstart it however you'd have a tough time getting on it safely while its running with no clutch.

7. twinkiex

twinkiex Guest

Thanks. That puts me at ease, I broke my clutch handle last week, dropped my bike right on it and it broke in two, then because I couldnt engage the clutch at all I ended up having to drag (carry actually) my bike to the nearest place I could lock it up so I figured for some reason if the cable ever broke I would stop suddenly and go flying over the handle bars. :shock:

8. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

We have the same plan but if it happens i'm gonna use a large nylon tie i keep in my toolkit....all these sorta ideas multi-task.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2008
  9. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Keep an extra nut or washer handy. Run the end of the cable thru the not or washer and tie a knot and slip it back nto the handle. I did that 400 smiles ago and it still works. But all the other suggestions are awesome. I love the stuff I learn here.

10. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

The question you asked could have easily been thought through with a little bit of inquisitiveness and reasoning. I know its easier to ask a question online but trying to figure things out for yourself with a little tinkering and thought will better prepare you for motorbike ownership.

The clutch is "spring" loaded. It will return to its "normal resting" position if a cable would break. If pulling the clutch lever (disengaging the clutch) requires work against resistance than a broken cable will allow the clutch to follow the path of least resistance...full engage.

Now that I have got your attention, what do you think will happen when a throttle cable breaks?

11. Ah it's too dark outside to take a pic.
    But you can envision this.
    I have a small C clamp in my tool pouch.
    It's perfect for keeping the clutch engaged when your clutch cable breaks.
    Just place it on the bar...I'll post a pic in the morning.
    And that's right I could have saved that clutch cable by using a nut or washer.
    ...but I would keep that brake bolt with the little hole for something like that..if I can thread it.
    But I feel the best thing to do is what I did when my clutch cable went "plunk"
    I borrowed my rear brake cable and limped home using my front brake.

12. wayde

wayde Guest

if it should happen, you could always take a penny or key to pop the master link on your chain and remove the chain stow it away( most have tool pouches or such to store it) if you have to you can put it on your frame but peddling is way easier.

13. Your-Majesty

Your-Majesty New Member

Yesterday was my first day on an MB. The Clutch Cable broke 3 times!!! It broke near the clutch arm. Each time, I slipped off the sleeve, trimmed it as much as the broken peice, slipped the sleeve back on, reapplied the springs, gauged the tightness, and i was up and running again. It seemed like it was quicker to break each time, and the third time it snapped the tensioning spring in half. Ordered a new one from gas bike yesterday night for 2 day delivery, but im gonna be POed if it happens again.

What the heck is going to happen? Will the clutch arm gradually loosen up?
    Can I easily loosen up the tension on the clutch without risking putting it into a slip?
    Do I need a cable with better tensile stregth? Do they even make that?
    How available is the roller?

FML right now. :(

14. a/c man

a/c man Member

The clutch cable is nothing more than a bicycle brake cable.
    You can get them locally at any bike shop, or Walmart for that matter.
    Don't waste your time and money sending away for one.
    Yes they do make better wires than the kit has. Try Jagwire brand. Google them.
    Get rid of the small spring you used between the clutch arm and the
    cable adjustment fitting. It only adds more resistance when pulling the clutch in.

Are you pinching down the set screw too much on the cable end? You'll smash the cable and cut it if it's overtightened.
    Something may be sharp and cutting into your cable when you are pulling in the clutch and cutting into the inner cable wire.
    Make sure that fitting where the cable housing ends (the threaded adjusting barrel) aims straight towards the clutch arm and not at an angle so when the cable wire pulls in and out it's not making a sharp bend. Take a close look at everything at see whats going on.
    Before you install the new cable pull the wire out and shoot some silicone spray, or cable lube into the new outer cable before you install it.

Good luck man
    TIM

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  15. Your-Majesty

Your-Majesty New Member

Excellent! Excellent!! What you say makes perfect sense. The ball mount was not pointing directly at the clutch arm. I'm such a moron! lol.