If you had to choose one...

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Tom, Jan 16, 2007.

?

What do you use your motored bike mostly for?

1. Pleasure

87.6%
  2. Transportation

12.4%
  1. Tom

Tom Active Member

I am sure that nobody can answer either one 100%, but which answer is 51% or more true?

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

excellent poll....these bikes are my transportation. but....they also provide much pleasure. often, I just ride, carelessly wasting gas.

3. Tom

Tom Active Member

hahaha. I don't get much of a chance to ride for pure pleasure these days. My bike does, however, beat any car to class since I can park right outside any class, instead of a half mile away, and I don't get stuck in traffic, and my whole bike was just over the cost of a parking permit for a year...

talk about being efficient...

4. nogoodnic42

nogoodnic42 Guest

When I got my first bike I had great intentions on it being for transportation. I quickly learned that although posible not necesarily practical. At the time I lived 25 miles from work and at 30mph I would have to leave at 5am and pray nothing fell off of my bike. On top of that there is no such thing as stable weather here in MI which makes for some horible ridding conditions. Also there is very little room to carry anything of substance on these bikes. So now I use my bike to run errands around town but mostly I enjoy jumping on a bike and finding a nice curvey country road and letting the wind blow through my hair. The only thing I have found that is more relaxing than these bikes is surfing and there ain't no waves here. Enjoy the ride...Kelly

5. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

sabrina was built for transportation, and if i'd had to answer this poll before i built her, i would vote for trans...

but having THIS particular transportation is nothing but a pleasure, prolly 80-20 in favor :D

6. apratt

apratt Guest

I would like to say it for transportation, but realistically I am a fair weather person and around here it rains alot. So I would only use it when it is fair or nice outside. I would use it more for the short junts to the little grocery store and the ace hardware store when I need just a few items at the last minute. So it is mostly for pleasure and when I go camping I can have some wheels to putt around the area.

7. Wheels

Wheels Guest

The freedom of energy efficient transportation is always a pleasure.

50/50

wheels

8. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

I had to vote for pleasure; though I have used my machines for both, generally, when it comes to purely transportation on two wheels I use my '67 Honda CL.
    Which is currently outta comission. :(
    But, there's nothin' I love more than gettin' out there on a two wheeler and just cruisin' away from it all...
    Rif

9. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

I base my "pitch" on INDEPENDENCE. Having other customers running around the county, all have differing "main objectives".

A few guys are interested in exercise, one actually turns of the motor and physically pedals for an hour a day, he just got tired of seeing the same landscape, now explores a 60 mile radius.

I've never been able to get the "pitch" in a neat and tidy mathmatical model, but it sort of goes like this:

You have two/three cars in the driveway, all averaging 25 miles per gallon, plus all the auto overhead.

If you get a bike and just use it for small chores, stop and go shopping, banking, restauranting, and put those 200 mpg miles in the equation, you've (here comes the hard part) "tripled your hydrocarbon efficiency"

It's like the old Mahareshi Transcendental Meditation equation - get 10% to meditate daily and World Peace occurs.
    Get 10% on MB's and energy independence occurs.

10. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

My electric tricycle was built to be my transportation, but I certainly do enjoy riding her. Exercise is a factor too since the Hercules is setup so that providing lpa (light pedal assistance) is necessary to get the best out of her.

11. Joshboy

Joshboy Guest

i just ride around Palo Alto for fun. I have no objectives, i just ride until im all vibrated out

12. Scottm

Scottm Guest

I am bound to my car since I have kids. My bikes are for total fun and stress relief. Plus it's just not safe to get on the main roads that lead to work.

13. atcspaul

atcspaul Guest

i would say they are for fun but if where i need to go is not to far and weather permiting they are my transportation. have 3 vehicles but would rather rided my motored bicycle anyday

14. retrophoto

retrophoto Guest

at this point in time I would have to add a category. Learning curve...

100% of my homemade ebike has been a learning curve; finding out what my body and the bike can do together.

I hope when the china kit arrives I can do more errand running with it since the range will be better. If not, then its probably back to the ebike for pure fun and the oh wow you built that factor...

Nothing like dragging a trailer full of car batteries to attract attention.

15. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Have you got any pictures of your e.bike?

16. retrophoto

retrophoto Guest

http://i14.tinypic.com/6t5xmau.jpg

The red huffy now has two motors one hung on the front of the rear tire. It's under the seat. The one behind he seat is 350 amps the one under the seat is 250 amps.

17. louturks

louturks Guest

I would say both

18. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

I originally bought my kit so I could begin enjoying my bicycle again. Where I live in New Hampshire there are hardly any flat roadways. This is great if you want to get a workout but it definitely limits you when it comes to touring around and sightseeing. I can easily do 30 miles on a bike over flat ground but my happytime engine allows me to enjoy nearly limitless range combined with the satisfaction that the vehicle I'm riding is constructed and totally maintained by me and nobody else. Furthermore I like riding these bikes with my family. My father likes riding bicycles but since I'm so much younger than him I end up leaving him at the bottom of a large hill. These engines are the great equalizers and everybody who isn't intimidated by the danger of a motorized cycle absolutely loves them. I haven't used air conditioning in years, in car or home, because I don't like how much energy it consumes. Now I know our little engines burn gasoline but I get the biggest joy out of riding a motored bike in the dead heat of summer. I stay nice and cool while enjoying the outdoors. Much MUCH better than sitting at home complaining about how hot it is outside. I get stuck inside enough during the winters as it is. My vote goes to riding for pleasure because bikes of all types arent very fun in certain weather conditions while commuting. These have proven to me that they would be reliable enough for commuting to work if you construct and maintain your baby correctly. LONG LIVE THE HAPPYTIME!

19. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I voted for transportation. It's cool to be able to cover a bit of distance without spending a fortune on gas, licence, insurance, etc. That said, it is pleasant to feel the wind in your face while getting where you need to go. Oops, I forgot to get a pack of gum the last time I was at the QuickShop. Gotta go.

20. nopedlenhere

nopedlenhere Guest

PURE and simple 100% pleasure..tryed the drugs..fast cars,motorcyles.woman..But theres nothing like riding a bike to take away all the pain and sorrow in the world...where else can you be 10yrs old again...lol