If you only have one Earth...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fabian, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

2. grinningremlin

grinningremlin Active Member

And all it takes to cure it, remove every last human from the earth.Note the few comments of disbelief/status-quo pushers.I saw a kids special in 2008 where they were WAY out and there are flotillas of decayed plastic bottles, I guess when they break down into smaller and smaller squares they act like mercury does and attract themselves.The flotillas went 30ft. down 100's of feet across and have the consistency of over watered gelatin, perfect to clog gills.The one here that's gonna effect us soon enough is the bees disappearing, which causes no pollination, no grain, birds die, and we're soon after.The status quo people have a point, but it comes from ignorance; Yes the world will heal itself, it's been here a long time, but if we continue, while we are here, we will be living on a "smoldering ball of of s.h.i.t" (George Carlin line).

3. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

It seems those at the elite end of the global power structure are hell bent on destroying Earth for the sake of outrageous profit. I have never understood this concept because poisoned air, poisoned water and poisoned soil will effect their children just as much as everyone else. Even if you move to the last remaining patch of clean land, you can't stop radiation at the border.

4. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

the business model is a "five year plan". maybe a "ten year plan"

but never a "five or ten generation, decade, aeon, liftime etc plan"

in the big scheme of things, unless terry pratchett is entirely correct and all them bones down there were just planted by a mischievous god, and same deal with what we... think are balls of fusing hydrogen gas... we have been here for but a brief instant, and the way things currently are... we wont last more than an instant.

everything we see today is built simply around this muck that we dig out the ground. ways of digging it up, ways to look at it, ways to shape it, transport it, lift it, burn it, throw it away and forget about it...

as ben elton said in one book...(vaguely...i convey the gist of it)

"future generations will come across these great big doors, buried deep! with bright colours and strange religious symbols! tests will conclude that they actually do contain something! it really must be valuable if the ancients went to so much effort to lock it up nice and tight!" (in reference to deep storage nuclear waste bunkers...)

i was reading an article about australias early marsupial carnivores (that couldnt have existed according to the former labor parties chief consultant, mr tim flannery, who also said something about we're in a permanent drought that will never break again just before several of our major dams overflowed, several times in some cases!) and that got me to thinking...they were wiped out by the first aboriginals. the dreamtime was when australia was a rainforest, not a desert. they wiped out all the big easy prey... then started burning to flush out the smaller prey. slowly changing the whole country. destroying it. maybe their philosophy of "looking after the land" was based on racial memories of what they had destroyed? and now they had no choice in the matter?

each "society" has destroyed its own habitat. its a human thing. england was a forest once, not gentle sloping fields of green...etc etc etc... sahara? wasnt that a rainforest? maybe natural causes, that one...

but anyways. we dont seem to WANT to learn.

5. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

In the words of an infamous ex-politician that had a phoenix rebirth, yet somehow disappeared off the scene but never went away: Please explain?

That's a good point.

Got to agree with you on that. Tim Flannery looked light a royal idiot when everyone was up to their armpits in water only to be told global warming was going to bring more drought to Australia and the floods were a once in 100 year event; that just happened too many times for his comments to be believable.

A perfectly logical assessment; also it's a lot easier to travel if you aren't hacking you way through dense forests; burning the place to the ground and whatever survives is on the dinner menu, not that it's ecologically sustainable for a large population, and maybe that's why the Australian Aboriginal population wasn't that extensive?

6. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

oh. terry pratchett is a must read.

the bones...he was talking about dino skeletons and broken pottery fragments sending paleontologists and archeologists around in circles making up silly theories that simply amused the gods that had placed them there for that exact reason! (this all being set on a disc world thats resting on four elephants standing atop a big turtle... all rather medieval...)

on one of your next rides....dont take food. gotta give them credit. cus what is there to EAT out there? that you can survive on, all day everyday? i think the same thing whenever i see pictures of the middle east....sand sand rock...small stunted shrub then more sand sand and sandy rocks. meat is a rare treat just because...it takes so much room to grow the stuff! better eating that food yourself!

what do the spurts say? we have really lousy soil in this country, as a general rule. not very supportive of anything really. the few bits there are, we seem determined to chop up, cover in concrete and sell sell sell for money money money. must make good foundations...until the floods and the landslides!

where i am is basically the division between a line of clay/shale and sandstone... a large area has been recently opened for development...after 200 previous years of settlement decided it was a really silly place to build because it gets a landslide about every three years... theres nothing down there but clay and shale for a few hundred metres!

now? now its "prime location with stunning mountain views".

7. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

That sounds exactly like the east coast of Australia. Many picturesque locations in past years were not developed, but are now being frantically developed, with people clawing each others eyes out to purchase massively hyperinflated house and land prices in these areas; despite history showing they are unsuitable for housing development, due to flooding, bushfires and landslides. More foolish is that when disaster occurs, those very occupants are the first ones to complain that the land shouldn't have been rezoned for residential development.

Strange logic abounds in government planning departments that throws common sense out the window if there hasn't been a flood, bushfire or landslide in the past 25 years, despite recorded history of these events regularly reoccurring every 25 - 30 years.