ignition coil question

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by kevingkruse, Apr 25, 2012.

1. kevingkruse

kevingkruse New Member

Quick question, is it ok to use a smaller ignition coil for a larger engine? I have the stock ignition coil but I want to try and use it on a 100cc motorcycle engine. Would it be harmful or no?

2. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

What powers the coil, points or a magnet, on both applications? Personally I wouldn't do it, but might work if you have proper clearance. Post some pictures.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  3. kevingkruse

kevingkruse New Member

There's a wiring harness coming from the stator on the flywheel with about 5 wires. Its on a kawasaki 76 kd 100m, and I was thinking I could plug the cdi from my motorbike engine into the harness. Ill post some pics in a bit.

4. Al.Fisherman

You asked about a coil, not a CDI.

5. kevingkruse

kevingkruse New Member

Shoot, I'm sorry, I got them mixed up. Ok, so I'm wondering if I can use the cdi off the motorbike kit and use it on my 100cc because it doesn't have one. Sorry

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  6. Al.Fisherman

Does it not have one because it's missing, or not there from factory?

7. kevingkruse

kevingkruse New Member

Its missing

8. Al.Fisherman

Well both systems put out around 12VDC, So I guess that if you choose correctly 2 of the 5 wires to hook it up to, it just might work out ok.

9. kevingkruse

kevingkruse New Member

Cool, thanks a lot. What's the worse that could happen? It just not give enough power to spark, no harm?

10. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

1976 kwaka will have points and magneto ignition, and i doubt theres more than 3 people on here that have worked on them...

one. get a magneto puller, you may need to change the points. and it makes it easier to clean them.

get a set of feeler guages.

get a standard (old) car ignition coil. 6volts 12volts, whatever.

get a multimeter or test lead.

try looking on a motorbike forum instead. theres plenty of online manuals. :) full wiring diagrams. it may be a battery dependent one after all( magneto and points are different) therefore requiring a battery. if its a full dirt bike thats not normal...

a ht cdi is a strange beasty that works on completely different principles to any other cdi, and CDI is definitely not the ignition used on your kwaka. it come out around 84 or so...

11. kevingkruse

kevingkruse New Member

Oh, I see. Well I was mainly wondering because (sorry if off topic from motor-bicycling) that it doesn't have a spark plug wire anywhere, I looked at my ht bicycle and thought well maybe its missing a CDI and that it plugs into the harness. If I am missing a battery, would a spark plug wire come from the battery? And I have tried posting on other motorcycle forums and you guys have seemed to be giving me more help :p

12. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

yes a 76 should have a coil, points and a magneto (not a cdi).
    I posted earlier that it should have a cdi and not a coil...well, i was wrong on that. I went and looked at my 73 kawasaki ke 100 again, and it has a coil and points.

The motorcycle should run without a battery (mine does) and all the battery is for is to run the lights.
    No, a spark plug wire would never come from the battery...EVER.
    if your coil is missing on the motorcycle, a cdi from a motorized bike engine will not work.
    like headsmess said, get a 12 volt automotive ignition coil for a points distributor...the canister type. ( do not get a new coil for an electronic distributor)
    here's a schematic of the whole ignition system.
    actually this is for a 73 kawasaki ke 100 (which is what i have) but should be the same for a 76.

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/search/Kawasaki/Motorcycle/1973/F11M/IGNITION/parts.html

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  13. kevingkruse

kevingkruse New Member

Cool, cas I know the KD and KE are basically the same but the KE has the lights, so I assume a cdi goes on the two bolt holes under my tank. I guess ill try slappin my HT CDI on there and see what happens. Although I don't know which wires to plug them into, maybe the harness is the same as your KE? Mine has 5 wires; Black, Yellow, Pink, Blue, and Green. Do you think maybe you can tell me what yours has and what your CDI plugs into? I'm. Having trouble finding info about it online, I've searched a good amount.

14. motorpsycho

Well tho need a coil, not a CSI. I will try to look at mine later when I get home & let you know about the wiring. I don't think the mb. cdi will work. it only has 2 wires & the bike has 5.

15. kevingkruse

kevingkruse New Member

Awesome, thank you. I'm pretty sure its got the coil, it should be in the flywheel right? And the 5 wire harness comes out of it.

16. motorpsycho

No, the coil should be under the gas tank & it will have the spark plug wire coming out of it.The part on the flywheel is the magneto. look at part #1 on the schematic that I posted earlier. part #1 is the coil.

17. kevingkruse

kevingkruse New Member

Oh, ok. I read your edited post, I guess I will order a coil off the internet then, I just wanted to know what it needs before I buy something. Well I think that sums up my dillema, thank you all for your help. But hey motorpsycho, if you still can, could you show me which wires connect to your coil when your near your bike?

18. motorpsycho

I just took a pic of my coil 4 you, but I can't post it until later when I can get on my computer. The coil has a slot 4 the wire connector to plug into. your wires should have a plastic connector on the end & that connector will only plug into the coil One way. if your connector. has been cut off, you'll have 2 figure out which wire goes where in the connector & you'll have to get the connector or solder the wires right to the pins on the coil . I can't get to the connector on mine to look at where each wire goes without taking the tank off & I really don't want to do that. my bike has 1200 original miles on it & its never been apart. we'll figure it out somehow.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  19. kevingkruse

kevingkruse New Member

Thank you. Well the wires on the harness are the ones like how it is on the MB kit, they just slide into each other with the rubber cover, no plastic connectors, maybe if I see the color combination of your connectors it will help.

20. motorpsycho

ok, here's the pics i took of the coil on my bike.
    Now, I was not able to slide the rubber boot back on the coil, and there are a lot of wires going to it.
    This is factory stock, and the original wiring, so I know that it's never been messed with.
    I'm not sure how much help these pics will be, but here they are.
    Ignore the mud...lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]