I'm considering a Grubee HD Axle Kit and would like some opinions...

midlifecrisis

Local time
7:50 AM
I built this bike a while ago, and have really enjoyed it. However, as you all know, the weak link with the basic 2 stroke kit is the sprocket clamped to the spokes. To improve the situation, I bought a clamshell adapter, but I had to modify it to make it fit my hub, and I'm not entirely happy with how things ended up. Recently a dog decided to jump out in front of me, which forced a panic stop, which tore the coaster brake arm loose, causing my axle to stretch and snap. Rather than kluge it back together again, I'm thinking of buying this hub kit and lacing it into my wheel. I've read this thread, and it seems like I should come out all right, but want to know if anyone thinks I ought to go a different route. Any opinions? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
clamshell issues

Yes, I bought the LFM clamshell adapter (I will say that the clamshell you linked to looks much better.) I ordered the "coaster brake" size, and it did not fit my hub (hub was too large in diameter). I called LFM, and they weren't very anxious to refund my money. They suggested I find a machinist to resize the inside diameter. I used a drill press and a large drill bit, and clamped the adapter together and did it myself.

The next issue I has was that the coaster brake arm requires a standoff to clear the sprocket, and the standoff they include with the kit was for a straight-slot connection to the coaster brake arm, whereas my coaster brake arm had a star-shaped interface. I solved this issue by obtaining a slot-type coaster brake arm, and welding their standoff to my star-shaped cone. Initially I just tacked it, and the weld broke loose and I snapped the axle. I put in a new axle, and this time welded the **** out of the standoff, and it hasn't come apart since. However, the latest issue was caused by the coaster brake arm slipping off their slotted standoff during an emergency braking situation. One solution I was considering is to simply weld the brake arm directly to the standoff.

The next issue I had with the adapter is that the threads in the aluminum clamshell weren't great (metal shavings weren't cleaned out, and threads were a little rough), and the supplied bolts didn't fully engage all the way through the adapter when everything was bolted up. After 50 miles or so, I had loosening/pullout issues (note: I did use locktite), resulting in some of the bolt holes being stripped. I drilled all the holes oversize, tapped them, and installed longer bolts and haven't had any further problems with the bolts.

At this point, I never want to have to mess with it again (or for a very long time), and think a lace-in solution is probably the best way to go. On my bike, the rear brake is definitely a weak-link, and even if I replace the axle and weld the brake arm to the standoff, I have a feeling it will somehow break again. I like that the HD Axle kit comes with a strap brake, and am assuming that it will be better than a coaster brake. What were your thread issues with the Grubee hub? I read a thread about the non-iso threads on the pedal sprocket side, but I think it can be solved by using an electric scooter sprocket. Did you buy your hub from bicycle-engines? Did you use the brake that came with it, and if so, does it provide decent stopping power? How much should I expect to have to spread my frame to accommodate the axle?

Last edited:
I also had similar problems with LFM clam shell & overcame them in a way something like yours....a pain & i wouldn't be keen to repeat the process.

Did you buy your hub from bicycle-engines? Did you use the brake that came with it, and if so, does it provide decent stopping power? How much should I expect to have to spread my frame to accommodate the axle?
No issues with the hub threat,it fitted perfect but i bought mine from MBB Imports.Didn't use the suppled brake cos i tapped the bearings out of the hub then turned the axle around so it could be used on a Mountain Bike with v-brakes.Bought spokes/rim & laced the wheel myself.
From what i hear the suppled brake is adequate & the thread problem with BE.com SHOULD be resolved by now.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/motorised-bi...34.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301:1|293:2|294:30

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
thank you for the info! i am sort of wondering whether i'm just thinking "the grass is greener" with the HD Axle solution, and hoping to avoid another round of disappointing make-it-work engineering. are you happy with the Grubee hub you have? i only ask because you seem to say you'd go with the Manic Mechanic clamshell if you were to do another build.

I'm happy with the Grubee but u have to keep things in perspective(Chinese products are not noted for their longevity)
MM's is taylor made to fit YOUR particular hub so their shouldn't be any problems like LFM,& at approx half the price it represents good value.The only thing i don't like is that your sorta obligated to buy their sprocket/sprockets;sorta.........................nothing's perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmmm...

thanks again for your time and info. given the cost (hub + spokes + wheel build) and effort required to put it all together, i'm thinking that i might just rework what i have one more time and hope that it holds up. had i known of the MM clamshell and went that route, i probably wouldn't have had any issues.

cost to have wheel laced.

it depends where you live, and who you find to do it. my local bike shop charged me $45 to do my front wheel (put in sturmey drum brake), + $35 for spokes. a bit expensive, but they were the only ones i could find to do it.

another alternative i discovered when looking on ebay is this complete wheel. no brake, and pricey shipping, but its probably cheaper than buying a hub and paying to have it laced.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
it depends where you live, and who you find to do it. my local bike shop charged me $45 to do my front wheel (put in sturmey drum brake), + $35 for spokes. a bit expensive, but they were the only ones i could find to do it.

How bout that. After all my research I thought the sturmley-archer 90mm brake would be the best if I'm serious abotu distance, but now with my two cycle engine I'm finding I may not have enough power to be serious. Does the sturmley archer drum brake overheat on a steep downhill? Is it good enough for an alone brake and the back brake just for backup?

Back