I'm down for the count...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by datz510, Jul 2, 2008.

1. datz510

datz510 Member

So, this last weekend has been just one catastrophe after another...

First, my septic system backed up and overflowed. Spent saturday digging up the tank and calling around to find someone available on the weekend to pump it out.

In the process of digging the tank up, I cut a water line, so had to turn off the water to the house for 4 hours... Wouldnt have been that big of a deal except the swamp coolers need water to work.

I rigged up a hose from my pool pump to get water temporarily to the swamp coolers and in the meantime the pump truck showed up to pump out the septic tank.

This all left a 4'x4' pit in my backyard that I had to fill in saturday night, so the dogs woul;dnt be tempted to roll in in the overflowed septic nastiness.

I got up SUnday morning and decided to take it easy for the day, as i was exhausted.. I mean do some laundry and watch some TV at the most.. couldnt be that bad, eh?

Went to lift a basket of laundry and threw my back out!. My legs wouldnt support me and I ended up on the floor (Help, I've fallen and I cant get up!).

Long story short, I think I blew a disc in my back. Now hae tingling in my legs and partial loss of feeling down there as well. Back from the ER with meds & strict instructions to take it really easy.. Im suposed to go have an MRI done on my back tomorrow to see exactly what is wrong. All I know is right now I can't ride my motored bike and its killing me. :(

I've been home from work all week stuck on my couch and have been staring at this pile of brand new parts that arrived yesterday for my motored bike that I havent been able to put on yet. Have a new to me vintage Judy DH '96 suspension fork, threadless headset, new headlights, handlebars, etc.. Its depresing not being able to do something you love.

Hopefully there is a light at the end of the tunnel.... Just figured I'd share a bit of my agony with you all. Right now I just want to get better so I can go ride again./
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2008

2. jared3377

jared3377 Member

Ouch, datz...many bummers in too little time...:confused:

I *enjoyed* your story, and I feel your pain... Like my dad always said, "When it rains, it pours...":shock:

So true, so true...:rolleyes:

3. azbill

azbill Active Member

hope you're feeling better and back 'in the wind' soon !!!
  4. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

You forgot to tell of the 60 minute ride we had between some of that digging. I did not think you were going to fill it in that night. You were very busy. OK, I'll tell that we did our Usery pass loop that totaled about 20 miles from your door around and back to the garage. They were hilly as in up some and down some and we had a blast. I was sad to hear you are not feeling like doing it again this week. Maybe next week? We do need to get all of us east valley and even other parts of the valley riders together to have a Jamba Juice or something and make plans.
  5. datz510

datz510 Member

Yep, the 60 minute ride was the best one so far.. lots of hill climbs and descents. We hit 37mph going downhill! I cant wait to get back on my bike... I already miss it terribly.

I had an MRI yesterday morning and got a call with the results. Unfortunately, I have at least one herniated/bulging disc in my lower spine. That would explain the slight loss of feeling in my legs.

I don't what to think right now. I just hope I'll be able to get back on the bike soon. Right now, I'm in a good amount of pain without the pain meds. When those run out, I'm not sure what I'll do. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open for suggestions.

Once I see my doctor monday morning, I'll probably start physical therapy in my pool.

Anyone here suffered a similar injury? How'd you get through it?
  6. datz510

datz510 Member

One other thing...

I'm ordering everythnig I need to convert my bike to a more upright seating position. I think that is going to be the only way I'll be able to get back on the bike.
  7. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear it, datz.

I'm no expert on this stuff. But I can tell from observing that when you are talking about a bulging disc the stakes are very high. So take it very easy and don't do anything to put stress where it shouldn't be.
  8. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

I was 10 years off my bikes untill I just put my motored bike together. I always used to lean over a lot to be aero dynamic and go fast. I never figured out that that was the reason I could no longer ride a bike with my bulging disks. The physical therapy I did was to develop more flexibility and core strength. The therapist was one of my best friends and really did help me to cope. Now I am glad to raise my handle bars and play with positioning on the bike to get comfy.
  9. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

I have a mongoose mountain bike [the ad stated comfort too] and the handle bars are adjustable in height, rotation of the bars and the goose neck adjusts rotationally. With a suspension front fork and seat post its the most comfortable bike Ive ever owned. It came with a comfort seat thats kinda wide so that it fits my butt like it should. I have a bad back also and with these features Ive had very little discomfort in my back, mostly stiffness in the lower back mucsles but I think thats from being out of shape and older. Theres things out there to help make your ride more soothing and enjoyable Im sure.
  10. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

I was just thinking about those monoshock bikes if you had a rackmount on 1 of those with a soft suspension system, Ive never had 1 but it seems it ought to ride like a boat floating on the water. It would be a blast to drive to and very maneuverable.
  11. datz510

datz510 Member

Here is the Gary Fisher bike I just picked up (for a song):

This one, im building purely for comfort when riding. Should be a fun experiment at least. i'm also planning on using Ghost0;s jackshaft drive system for a total of 18 gears to choose from.
  12. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Yea that looks like my setup, just now get ya a suspension seat post and a goose neck to rotate those bars back about 4 or 5in and youll be riding in comfort with your back almost straight up.
  13. datz510

datz510 Member

Thats the idea.. I also have a set of 5" riser handlebars arriving soon, so that will put me almost perfectly upright. I want this to be the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.
  14. datz510

datz510 Member

I'm up early today for some reason.. My sleep schedule & sense of time has gone completely out the window. So, I was bored and started reading through some of the paperwork from my doctor..

I got the official diagnosis from my doctor via the insurance paperwork.. He hadn't told me before, but it states that I have an "annualar tear and bulging disc at L5-S1" due to "Lumbar disc displacement".

Coincidentally, this is the same disc area that was damaged 7 years ago in the car accident I was in.

From what i've read, an annular tear won't heal as easily. I've got to take it easy from now on, or else I may really hurt myself (leg & lower body pain, nerve problems, partial paralysis, ... who knows) Apparently, the spinal cord and all the nerves are grumpy *******s that dont like to be irritated. :( When I initially hurt my back, my legs stopped working properly... I could barely move them and their movement was delayed considerably. They are getting almost completely back to normal now, which is a good sign, so I am relieved about that.

What is bad is that while sitting and bending my back, I can feel the two vertebrae moving independent of each other, much more than all the other bones back there.

I guess I can officially welcome myself to the 'getting older and falling apart' stage of life.

To top it off, my gf Niki was angry with me this morning for who knows why... she got more irritated when I asked why. And I dunno if Im gettng a paycheck next week because the Dr lost my short term disability paperwork. I'm not feeling real good right now.

I'm really hoping I get a big box of parts for my new bike build today.. that would sure make my day a lot better.