I'm getting a new bike....

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by pianoman8t8, Mar 18, 2007.

1. pianoman8t8

pianoman8t8 Guest

Ok, so my bike has absolutely no room for what i want to do anymore...

here is what i have....
    [​IMG]

I'm gonna get the new Huffy Santa Fe: http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_...tness+&+Sports&cName=Bicycling&sName=Bicycles

I have an upgraded carb to put on, and i want to get one of those direct hit spark plug thingy's.... there is just no room on my bike right now for any of that...
    any ideas/advice? would be much appreciated....

-pianoman

2. pianoman8t8

pianoman8t8 Guest

also, I want the one I'm going to be doing to be a clean build. The past one i did i don't feel was that great. I just kinda slapped it all together... I read somewhere about putting something between the engine mounts and the frame to keep it from scratching, and other stuff like that to make it a nice, clean build. I would like to hear what people have done with their bikes/builds and stuff pertaining to that kinda stuff..

Thanx

-pianoman

3. pianoman8t8

pianoman8t8 Guest

4. Hugemoth

Hugemoth Guest

Go for the Schwinn, it has better brakes and a deraileur which will make tensioning the chain easier.

Moth

5. foyeburger

foyeburger Guest

it depends on what you prefer. both frames look like cruzer frames so having said that if its the coasterbrake huffy if it were me . i would lose the tires and get black wall tire because the white walls show the oil to much on them from the chain and your having to wipe it off all the time and i would get a front brake drum . also it depends really on the style of brakes you want with the swhinn bike youll most certainly want to convert to a duel brake lever other than that its a cruzer frame and should be enough room for the engine and what you want to do. larry ca

6. azvinnie

azvinnie Guest

go with the schwinn it looks like you'll have more room to work with for the engine, let us know which way you end up goin with these bikes....later

7. boardtracker

boardtracker Guest

I used an old inner tube that I cut into strips for motor mounts, and attached with electrical tape. Works pretty good for vibration absorbtion and protects the paint.
    -Boardtracker

8. Guest

Guest Guest

9. pianoman8t8

pianoman8t8 Guest

yeah, so i went to Wally World today (walmart) and found out that they dont have any of the schwinn cruisers in stock... so it looks like i'll have to order one. And then i went to K-mart, and realized, "how am i gonna get the sprocket on if the coaster brake lever thingy is in the way?" so anyway.. hey, does anyone have a picture of a schwinn cruiser build? the one i plan on getting is a 7-speed, and i was wondering if anyone has ever taken the shifter and moved it over to the other side of the handlebars. pictures would be good.

-pianoman

10. Hugemoth

Hugemoth Guest

I have a Pacific cruiser bike, can't remember the name, but Pacific also makes the Schwinns. It'll have a twist shifter that is held in place by a set screw. I prefer to keep it on the same side but slide it farther onto the handlbar, mounting the brake lever and throttle outside of it. If you want to move it to the other side, it's no big deal.

The brakes on these bikes are much better than the coaster brake but it's not a big deal to deal with the brake lever on the coaster brake models.

Moth

11. Hugemoth

Hugemoth Guest

You asked for a pic so here is one of my daughters bike that shows the shifter, etc..

[​IMG]

Moth

12. Guest

Guest Guest

My wife and I got bikes last spring.

She picked the "Moon Dog" and I got the "Monterey Cruiser" http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3596787

She liked the color, and the fact the bike had "all the bells and whistles" well, almost. I got the Monterey based on the fact that it was all aluminum and when I got them off the rack, the Moon Dog weighed A LOT more than the Monterey.

I don't care for the white walled look, but the rest of the Monterey is pretty clean. It is a comfortable bike for us "old guys".

Both bikes have quite a few (relative thing there) miles and no problems with either yet.

I don't know if either configuration will pose problems mounting an engine, but I hope to find out soon....

13. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

NOTE TO MEMBERS POSTING PICTURES:
    please use our "Upload Picture" feature...it's designed to properly integrate the graphics into our display format. if you choose to use a remote pic-host, please size your pictures to a maximum 600 pixels wide. this makes for easier viewing and reading of your posts.

thank you.

14. Hugemoth

Hugemoth Guest

The bike in the picture above is a Moon Dog. Engine fit is nearly perfect. The frame of my bike is almost identical but the rims, spokes, seat are black and there are a few other minor differences. The Monterey looks a little tight for engine installation.

I have long legs and have found the seat post on the Moon Dog to be too short. I got one that is about a foot longer and find the bike to be quite comfortable after that change. The wide white wall tires on the Moon Dog give a good cushy ride but they also get ugly with chain oil stains.

Moth

15. pianoman8t8

pianoman8t8 Guest

alright, so i figured what i'm gonna do.... since i'm a little tight on money at the moment, and walmart doesn't have the schwinn in stock, i'm gonna zip over to Kmart and get the Huffy Santa Fe, which is just the same as the cranbrook i think.. correct me if i'm wrong please.... and i'm thinkin about taking the fenders off so i dont have to deal with them breakin and what-not...

-pianoman

16. Guest

Guest Guest

I'd leave the fenders on unless you are planning on riding only in perfect weather and then only on perfect, sand and gravel free roads.

They aren't gonna break.

17. Hugemoth

Hugemoth Guest

There are about 7 motorbikes in my area which were made from Huffy and Pacific bikes. After a few hours all the fenders have cracked and broken off. One caused a bad accident. If you're going to leave the fenders on I suggest reinforcing them and checking them regularly.

Moth

18. joeranton

joeranton Guest

I have the same bike right now. Just waitin for my engine to come in. I think the only trouble will be getting that rear sprocket past the coaster brake arm. Shouldn't be a big hassle though.

19. Hugemoth

Hugemoth Guest

On the 7 speed Pacific bikes the rear hub is a perfect fit for the engine sprocket. It fits right over and centers itself. You also don't have to worry about getting both chains tensioned correctly because of the deraileur.

Moth

20. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

a quick off-topic about the fender thing: if ya gotta have 'em, try to get plastic/flexible mount style...unbreakable & even if they do vibrate and rub for a second, they'll recover. i use cheapo "planet bike" full-coverage, never had a permanent problem, ever.