I'm going for it!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by havemurci, Jun 27, 2009.

1. havemurci

havemurci New Member

Hey guys,

In a few days I should be receiving in the mail my brand new 49cc engine from ZoomBicycles. I've decided to keep everything motor-related stock, but I have ordered a few parts to make it safer (upgraded brake shoes, lighting, seat, mirror, etc.) It's going on a very cheap 24" Roadmaster from Wal-Mart. I've started by taking the rubber off the handles and repainting it.

I've done a lot of reading about how these shouldn't be used too much on gravel. This is somewhat concerning for me as quite a bit of the riding I plan to do will be on gravel roads, with hills at that. How do you think my 49cc Chinese engine will do with the stock 44T sprocket and 24" wheels in terms of torque?

It's not really an urgent question, as I'll be finding out for myself in just a few days. In the meantime, let me leave you with a picture of my bike's frame. Expect to see more in the days to come!

--Mark

Attached Files:

2. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Hi and welcome to MBc.
    Go easy, break it in slow and you'll be ok. Good idea on the upgrades.

3. robin bird

robin bird Member

if you have lots of hills like us get 56 tooth sprocket

4. it will do fine on gravel roads(unless you get a flat tire).
    you might need to remove your front derailer to make room for rear engine mount.
    you will have plenty of torque but with the 24" wheels you will have less top speed than a 26",probally around 25mph but im just guessing.

5. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Wide tires and a front brake will make riding on gravel easier, but riding smoothly will help the most.

6. RMWdave

RMWdave Member

you really have to be careful on the gravel considering.
    you end up "riding" the bike more with an engine vs. being "stuck" to the bike while pedalling if that makes any sence. IE you dont think about resting some of the weight on the front wheel for effeciency right? you just grip the bars like a motorcycle!
    front brakes are a must for a gravel road ride, and perhaps a bit less tire pressure up front to help out keeping things directed.
    welcome to mbc

7. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Loose Gravel & Front Brakes Do NOT Mix.

be safe

&

Welcome to MBc

8. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

couldn't

couldn't agree more -- one big welcome

from up top the mountain

9. RMWdave

RMWdave Member

loose gravel + front brakes applied in panic DONT mix.

its not an issue of safety, its an issue of rider capicity. you should have them and learn them.....

10. havemurci

havemurci New Member

Okay, after ~ 20 hours of work or so over the past few days, I finally got it running.

HOWEVER

When it's running, I get exhaust coming out of not only the pipe but also from the general area of the motor itself. Also, when I turn it off I notice a fine black spray around EVERYTHING close to the motor (and my bike's frame) that can only be some sort of combusted material. Any thoughts? I'm not sure if I'm losing compression, and I have NO idea how to adjust the engine (choke, carb settings, etc.) All I know how to do is prime the engine so I can start it.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and any help you can give me is appreciated.

Pics will follow as soon as I can get them up.

11. havemurci

havemurci New Member

Finally got the pics!

By the way, my problem's been fixed. The exhaust pipe was a little bit loose, and the liquid was caused by unburned fuel resultant of a few minutes of me trying to start my bike when the spark plug cable had inexplicably come off of the spark plug.

Anyway, it's fixed, and I went for a great ride. Lasted about an hour, went ~20 miles, maxed it at 33.1 mph. I hope this behavior isn't too terrible for a new bike; it had already been started and heated to operating temp twice beforehand in addition to going on one short (15 min) trip.

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

12. RMWdave

RMWdave Member

wicked looking mb my friend!

13. seanhan

seanhan Member

In gravel

It's best to just not use brakes if you can get away with it !!!!!!
    kinda like ICE just let of the power and let friction slow you down...

14. havemurci

havemurci New Member

I read somewhere that that was bad for the engine...something about not getting enough oil.

15. RMWdave

RMWdave Member

and you read right, but if you blip the throttle a couple times on the way down, you should have no problems at all!

16. Dizzy

Dizzy New Member

I put my 55 cc HT on a walmart roadmaster. but I had to hack saw the and drill the frame a bit to get the engine to fit, also I had to saw away some of the plastic on the carb's intake cover. If your engine won't fit on the road master, don't dismay. just get a better frame, and you can avoid all the unecessary modifications.
    Also don't try to force it either.